Polian critical of Bills not drafting a QB

Watching the post draft analysis on espn and polian said he thought the bills had a good draft, but then went all melancholy about the fact they didnt take a Qb and would be entering the season with EJ manuel and "retread" Matt Cassel. He sounded like Eeyore.

Imo the bills signing TT is just like drafting a qb. The benefit is he's been a disciple already behind a SB winning qb for a few years. I didn't think any of the QBs left after the top 2 would be able to play in the NFL this year. The experts said all had big flaws and were all projects, none projected starters. So wth is Polian's issue. Plus we have 3 project QBs as it is.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have drafted one instead of the Karlos Williams and/or the Clemson LBs selections. The RB position is too crowded and the LB had surgery on both knees, if you want to gamble, do it on the most important position on the field.

Edited by Fixxxer

I respect Bill for his work in Buffalo, but the game has passed him by. This was a terrible QB class and three of the four QBs on the roster are all much better options for the 2015 season than any of the QBs available past the second pick. Enjoy the Hall of Fame, Bill, you earned it. But with respect, it's time to hang up your spurs.

Next year is a down year for QBs. Hope several Juniors show a marked improvement.

i too hope Hackenburg shows improvement but he has all the tools to be a franchise qb type. I love connor cook as well, a pro style guy. Another pro style is Cody Kessler at USC. Edited by YoloinOhio

Next year is a down year for QBs. Hope several Juniors show a marked improvement.

There are a handful of guys (including underclassmen who may not declare) that give me reason to expect the 2016 QB draft class to be much improved -- at least in terms of depth. Cook, Kessler, maybe Jones are all guys who interest me.

i too hope Hackenburg shows improvement but he has all the tools to be a franchise qb type. I love connor cook as well, a pro style guy. Another pro style is Cody Kessler at USC.

It won't surprise me to see Kessler as the number 2 prospect by the time this year's out. The guy can play.

I would have drafted one instead of the Karlos Williams and/or the Clemson LBs selections. The RB position is two crowded and the LB had surgery on both knees, if you want to gamble, do it on the most important position on the field.

understood, but his comment seemed to insinuate we needed another guy to compete for the starting job. Unless he wanted us to trade our next 4 1st rd picks for winston or Mariota, not sure where is going with that analysis. None of the QBs below them are going to be competing to start. Not even in nj.

There are a handful of guys (including underclassmen who may not declare) that give me reason to expect the 2016 QB draft class to be much improved -- at least in terms of depth. Cook, Kessler, maybe Jones are all guys who interest me.

jones is going to fall into the spread offense, one-read guy trap. I'm also somewhat concerned he won't start at Osu. That said - his skill set plus romans offense could be ridiculous to stop. Edited by YoloinOhio

understood, but his comment seemed to insinuate we needed another guy to compete for the starting job. Unless he wanted us to trade our next 4 1st rd picks for winston or Mariota, not sure where is going with that analysis. None of the QBs below them are going to be competing to start. Not even in nj.

jones is going to fall into the spread offense, one-read guy trap. I'm also somewhat concerned he won't start at Osu. That said - his skill set plus romans offense could be ridiculous to stop.

Maybe, to him, not known projects are better than known projects.

Kessler is strictly a short passer. He has no arm for the 20 plus yard throws. If you want a dink and dunk QB, he is your man. The top 10 all have major issues. Connor Cook is the top QB now.

Hogan from Stanford could be the star of the 2016 draft.

He's right, they've mismanaged the position and continue to do so. DRAFT ONE EVERY YEAR UNTIL YOU FIND ONE. Overdraft if you have to - BPA is less important when you don't have any QB. Mettenberger last year. Grayson, Hundley or Petty this year. You can't win the lottery without buying tickets. It's the most important position. Believe it or not it's more important than nickel corner or the fourth RB.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I know this is really unpopular, but I'm a big believer in drafting a QB every year. Every invention in history has been accomplished by trial and error experimenting. The odds of you being successful are FAR lower when you select a QB every 5 years, than if you select one every year. Similar to you trying only 1 idea every 5 years, than 1 idea every year.

If the value of a good QB is X times higher than any other position on the field (and we have a mostly stacked team in every other position), I see no reason to pass on a Petty/Grayson/Hundley in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round every year. At that point you can cut Tuel and have 4 promising QBs face off and you cut the one who shows the least potential or provides the worst results. Run the QBs like an A/B test until you find a winner. I see spending 4th round picks as similar to spending $100 in a marketing campaign to find the best advertisement. To make money, you need to spend money and to get good QBs, you need to use draft picks.

This way you go into every draft saying "OK, we're taking a QB, who's the best guy at the best draft position". Now you end up taking Pat White, Colt Mccoy, Andy Dalton, and then Russell Wilson. Now boom, you have a franchise QB and a good young backup QB in Dalton you can trade for a high pick. In exchange this would have cost us Eric Wood, Alex Carrington, Aaron Williams, and T.J Graham. Are those 4 guys worth more than Russell Wilson and Andy Dalton?

He's right, they've mismanaged the position and continue to do so. DRAFT ONE EVERY YEAR UNTIL YOU FIND ONE. Overdraft if you have to - BPA is less important when you don't have any QB. Mettenberger last year. Grayson, Hundley or Petty this year. You can't win the lottery without buying tickets. It's the most important position. Believe it or not it's more important than nickel corner or the fourth RB.

i would have been fine with drafting someone on day 3 as a project. But, and I'm not sure how many different ways I can say this, he was referring to drafting someone to compete for the starting job this year. Edited by YoloinOhio

i would have been fine wuth drafting someone on day 3 as a project. But, and I'm not sure how many different ways I can say this, he was referring to drafting someone to compete for the starting job this year.

I understand - my point is that they do this every year.

I wished we would have gotten Manion, as I like him and think he'll be effective at times in the league, but with him going late in the 3rd, that means we would have not drafted Darby or Miller. I said days before the draft that I thought we would, and should, go CB with our first pick (TOLD YA!) and we needed the guard pick, obviously, so it couldn't have been changed.

This way you go into every draft saying "OK, we're taking a QB, who's the best guy at the best draft position". Now you end up taking Pat White, Colt Mccoy, Andy Dalton, and then Russell Wilson. Now boom, you have a franchise QB and a good young backup QB in Dalton you can trade for a high pick. In exchange this would have cost us Eric Wood, Alex Carrington, Aaron Williams, and T.J Graham. Are those 4 guys worth more than Russell Wilson and Andy Dalton?

Actually, this method only works if you truly know who the most talented player is after the 1st round, and take him with hindsight-type accuracy. Because in your example, we would have gotten Brock Osweiler ahead of Wilson, as he was taken a half round before Wilson.

i would have been fine with drafting someone on day 3 as a project. But, and I'm not sure how many different ways I can say this, he was referring to drafting someone to compete for the starting job this year.

He was making the point that our qb situatiion as it stands is dreadful. Most people would agree with that point. If he would have stated which qb he would have taken and where in the draft his qb selection would have been made his comment would have been more interesting. It's apparent that he doesn't consider EJ to be a credible option as a starter.

Edited by JohnC

He was making the point that our qb situatiion as it stands is dreadful. Most people would agree with that point. If he would have stated which qb he would have taken and where in the draft his qb selection would have been made his comment would have been more interesting. It seems to me that he doesn't consider EJ to be a credible option as a starter.

correct, he didn't expand on the comment. To me, it made no sense. Had he said they should have drafted a guy to develop along with the other 2 - sure, I have no issue with that though there werent any I thought were too good to pass on. But he didn't say that - it was as if he didn't really know they had TT or something

GMs don't throw away draft picks no matter what the thinking here on TBD. It is their job on the line. Look at how many QBs drafted in the last 10 years have not panned out. With only 6 picks, drafting a QB just for the sake of drafting one is bad for business. They have their boards. If the best player is a QB, I say go for it. This was not a year for it. Don't forget the year EJ was drafted and the "experts" were touting that QB class. 7 taken in the top 4 rounds. None has set the league on fire since the 2013 draft. The Bills need a franchise QB and soon.

I would have drafted one instead of the Karlos Williams and/or the Clemson LBs selections. The RB position is too crowded and the LB had surgery on both knees, if you want to gamble, do it on the most important position on the field.

Here are the drafted QBs. Which one would you have taken in the 6th round?
1 TB.png

Jameis Winston | QB, Florida StateHeight: 6-4 Weight: 230I don´t think Winston is in the Andrew Luck class, but he is the best quarterback in this draft and Tampa Bay had to take him. It is the right move for the Bucs at No. 1 overall.

A-
2 TEN.png

Marcus Mariota | QB, OregonHeight: 6-4 Weight: 220Why? Why not take the best defensive player in the draft? What if Mariota doesn´t beat out Zach Mettenberger?

C-
75 NO.png

Garrett Grayson | QB, Colorado StateHeight: 6-2 Weight: 213I guess they are really coming to the end of the Drew Brees era in New Orleans. But is this the long-term answer?

C
89 STL.png

Sean Mannion | QB, Oregon StateHeight: 6-6 Weight: 229This is nice value here at this point. I think he´s the third-best quarterback in this draft and gives them a young passer behind Nick Foles.

A
103 NYJ.png

Bryce Petty | QB, BaylorHeight: 6-3 Weight: 230Competition for Geno Smith. Petty has a great arm but has limited exposure to pro concepts, just like Smith coming out of college. Chan Gailey is a great coordinator for him.

B
147 GB.png

Brett Hundley | QB, UCLAHeight: 6-3 Weight: 226If you´re going to take a shot on a dual-threat quarterback, you want to do it on a guy as clean off the field as Hundley. High character guy with tons of natural talent. Perfect spot to sit for a few years but you sacrifice more immediate help elsewhere.

C+
250 DEN.png

Trevor Siemian | QB, NorthwesternHeight: 6-3 Weight: 220Likely a camp arm who was a one-year starter. He has excellent size and an average arm.

D
Edited by Lurker

correct, he didn't expand on the comment. To me, it made no sense. Had he said they should have drafted a guy to develop along with the other 2 - sure, I have no issue with that though there werent any I thought were too good to pass on. But he didn't say that - it was as if he didn't really know they had TT or something

I thought Hundley would have been a good developmental qb for us. The Packers moved up in the fourth round to select him. We didn't have a fourth round pick because last year we used it on a trade for a running back who we rarely used and who might get cut this year. On the other hand as long as Manuel is still being considered as a contender for the position it is understandable why the Bills didn't add another qb to the mix, especially one who falls in the developmental category.

I got the sense when I heard Polian make his qb comment that he was underscoring the fact that as it stands our qb situation is very inadequate and that he is sad about that debilitating situation.

Not sure why people are so dismissive of Polian and his views of our QB situation. I think most football people share his assessment and the QB position has been a disaster for the Bills since Kelly retired.

I understand how difficult it is to find a quality starting QB in the NFL, but I am in the camp of drafting a QB every year until you fine a quality one.

me neither, but why not elevate the odds of finding a good QB by drafting one every year.

Do you think buying a scratch off ticket every day makes your odds of winning a million dollars better?

Edited by The Wiz

Not sure why people are so dismissive of Polian and his views of our QB situation. I think most football people share his assessment and the QB position has been a disaster for the Bills since Kelly retired.

I understand how difficult it is to find a quality starting QB in the NFL, but I am in the camp of drafting a QB every year until you fine a quality one.

im not dismissive of him, in fact I respect his opinion a great deal. That's why I started this dialogue. I don't get why he indicated the Bills could have done something about going into the 2015 season (that is what he was referring to, not some 3 yr Mannion/Brett hundley/petty/grayson project ) in this draft. And also didn't seem to know they signed a guy just like that and about as young.

Watching the post draft analysis on espn and polian said he thought the bills had a good draft, but then went all melancholy about the fact they didnt take a Qb and would be entering the season with EJ manuel and "retread" Matt Cassel. He sounded like Eeyore.

Imo the bills signing TT is just like drafting a qb. The benefit is he's been a disciple already behind a SB winning qb for a few years. I didn't think any of the QBs left after the top 2 would be able to play in the NFL this year. The experts said all had big flaws and were all projects, none projected starters. So wth is Polian's issue. Plus we have 3 project QBs as it is.

Polian is still pissed that he wasn't sitting at OBD doing nothing and collecting a fat check from Pegula.