Polian critical of Bills not drafting a QB

Maybe, but there is evidence to the contrary.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000345582/printable/ozzie-newsome-weve-gotten-calls-about-no-17-pick

"After Harbaugh said last month that he was "disappointed" with Tyrod Taylor's progress under center, the coach named quarterback depth as one area needing an upgrade. Don't be surprised when the Ravens add a signal-caller in the later rounds."

That was Harbaugh's quote, and they did go ahead last year and draft another backup QB. I just feel that if Newsome thought Taylor was the real deal, he'd at least have tried to trade him for picks or assets or re-sign him to a modest extension rather than letting him go for nothing. But perhaps Yolo is right, the Bills didn't draft a QB because they feel that TT fills that void as a young developmental QB. I'm skeptical - especially when I read things like this:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/05/02/bills-put-their-trust-in-talent-scouting/

Quarterback consideration: Whaley said the Bills gave tremendous consideration to drafting a quarterback. Obviously, we talked to some guys, Whaley said. We went to see Baylor quarterback Bryce Petty, whom the New York Jets made a fourth-round draft pick. It just didnt fall the way we wanted it to and then we were a little hamstrung without some of the picks with the ammo to be able to move around to get some guys or have some guys fall to us compared to the value we put on them.

The reason they were "hamstrung" without "ammo" is because they traded away draft picks for guys like Bryce Brown, which quite frankly was reckless and stupid. And his statement about the QBs coming off of the board earlier than they wanted them to - that happens EVERY YEAR, because almost EVERY OTHER TEAM understands that you have to over-value QBs because it's such an important position. And the quotation also suggests that they did, in fact, want to draft a QB, suggesting that they may not feel that they're set with TT and EJ and MC.

the Bils may have been open to taking one late but the only teams outside of the jets that bothered to use a pick on any were teams that don't need a qB. Teams that needed QBs and didn't waste a pick:

Browns

Houston

Redskins

If the Jets thought Petty was starter material they wouldn't have waited until the 4th rd to take him.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tom brady was a sixth round pick.just saying.

Again, this thread is about this year's group of QBs and whether any of them could legitimately challenge for a starting spot this year beyond the top 2 guys. Polian was critical of them going into this season with EJ and Cassel as only options instead of drafting a guy to compete with them. How does this compare to the pats drafting a guy 15 years to sit behind their established QB? It's an exception, not a trend, of 6th rd picks emerging as quality starters.

Again, this thread is about this year's group of QBs and whether any of them could legitimately challenge for a starting spot this year beyond the top 2 guys. Polian was critical of them going into this season with EJ and Cassel as only options instead of drafting a guy to compete with them. How does this compare to the pats drafting a guy 15 years to sit behind their established QB? It's an exception, not a trend, of 6th rd picks emerging as quality starters.

I probably would've been more aggressive in trying to trade for Bradford or Cutler this past offseason. I'm sure you'll slice and dice that response as well. Every year there is an explanation as to why it wasn't the right time to aggressively address the position.

I probably would've been more aggressive in trying to trade for Bradford or Cutler this past offseason. I'm sure you'll slice and dice that response as well. Every year there is an explanation as to why it wasn't the right time to aggressively address the position.

if you look at responses that don't just say "+1" as just "slicing and dicing" then no, I won't bother.

Outside of the top two picks there was no one who would be able to help the team this year and probably ever. It was a poor draft if you needed a QB outside of the top two picks. As far as Bradford and Cutler are concerned one breaks when you look at him wrong and the other is a team cancer. All you would have done was waste picks and players on two guys that would get this team no where. I feel more confident with EJ and Cassel than with Bradford or Cutler. Doing something just to do it rarely gets you where you want to be.

Just no on Cutler. He's guaranteed $15.5M this year and $10M next. Not for what he's shown in recent years. F that.

Bradford would have been a guy I'd have looked at hard, but I don't see how the Bills could have acquired him. And then there is the matter of his injury history and the inability/unwillingness of the Bills to build the OL. Honestly, why bother if this is the line you're going to put him behind?

Draft (or otherwise acquire) a potential long term solution at QB each and every year until one is found. Then acquire another the same way at some point, like Green Bay likes to do.

i agree... The thread is about drafting one who could start this year because that's what polian was critical of. To your point though, they acquired Taylor this year. They skipped last year. They drafted EJ two years ago. That's as far back as we have on whaley. Edited by YoloinOhio

After the 1st two quarterbacks there was not a QB worthy of being drafted. Jeff Tuel is better than any of the QB's in this draft. None of them will ever start for an NFL Team unless the team is pressed to by injury. Basicly they all suck. Sorry Bill.

i agree... The thread is about drafting one who could start this year because that's what polian was critical of. To your point though, they acquired Taylor this year. They skipped last year. They drafted EJ two years ago. That's as far back as we have on whaley.

I'm not sure what Polian said because I didn't hear it, but I can't imaginge he meant that the Bills should have drafted a QB to start the beginning of this season. You can argue that Winston and Mariota can, but beyond that there is no one in this draft. I have to think he meant a guy who potentially could be a quality starter at some point, which would be reasonable.

I can easily give them EJ and a pass last year, but I just can't give them Taylor this year. He's not developing into anything. They needed someone else with a chance. EJ still has one, but it's probably his last in a Bills uniform. Maybe the thought was that they wouldn't undermine him by taking another QB, but I hate that line of thought. If that does him in, then he's not NFL caliber anyway. This is too good of a team with too few holes to see them ignored almost completely.

I respect Bill for his work in Buffalo, but the game has passed him by. This was a terrible QB class and three of the four QBs on the roster are all much better options for the 2015 season than any of the QBs available past the second pick. Enjoy the Hall of Fame, Bill, you earned it. But with respect, it's time to hang up your spurs.

Polian just happens to be correct.

The Bills end up putting all of their eggs into one basket when they draft a QB, as they did with EJ.

If you keep drafting quarterbacks every year, you'll hit paydirt sooner or later.

The Patriots did not need a QB when they selected Brady in the 6th round of the 2000(?) draft.

They already had Drew Bledsoe, John Friesz, and Michael Bishop, who they drafted in the seventh round the previous year.

Look how that worked out for them..........

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

Those two guys are high priced failures that no one wants. This includes Chip not wanting Bradford. Both QBs have a long history of failures. With Cutler it's his inability to lead a team and his ability to play just as bad as he can play good. With Bradford the dude is as strong as a china doll. In the AFC East he'll be put in the hospital by the Jets.

I know it's old fashioned, but when you pick a first round QB you must give him three years to see what he can do or it's a waste of time. If you cut or trade EJ, and he becomes the next franchise QB of the Steelers, and the Bills are still flailing at the QB position, if that happens you deserve another 20 years of no playoffs.

Now the Bills have Matt Cassel waiting in the wings if Manuel bombs out. That's pretty much the best you could do this year. Adding Cutler or Bradford would have been like getting married and knowing full well it's not going to work out. EJ Manuel is going to be our starting QB this year and that's as it should be. It's the natural way of developing a QB and if it doesn't work out for the Bills and EJ you can rest assured that the Bills will make a change in 2016. Remember, the Bills are an attractive destination now. The best FA QBs will want to come to Buffalo first.

I'm not sure what Polian said because I didn't hear it, but I can't imaginge he meant that the Bills should have drafted a QB to start the beginning of this season. You can argue that Winston and Mariota can, but beyond that there is no one in this draft. I have to think he meant a guy who potentially could be a quality starter at some point, which would be reasonable.

I can easily give them EJ and a pass last year, but I just can't give them Taylor this year. He's not developing into anything. They needed someone else with a chance. EJ still has one, but it's probably his last in a Bills uniform. Maybe the thought was that they wouldn't undermine him by taking another QB, but I hate that line of thought. If that does him in, then he's not NFL caliber anyway. This is too good of a team with too few holes to see them ignored almost completely.

that is actually what he said - he bemoaned that they didn't draft a qb and therefore will enter the season with EJ and Cassell as their only options to start.

I actually don't consider TT a viable starting option in 2015, but the Bills view him as a developmental guy/backup, apparently as much as they did the QBs in the draft.

Edited by YoloinOhio

the Bills dining with Petty the night before the draft went a little too far for a smokescreen imo. they really sent all of the front office guys there just to throw everyone off? poor kid. i hope they didn't give him false hope. i felt bad for Petty watching him drop in the draft and I hope he gets a shot to play some day. of the QB's, i think Hundley > Tyrod Taylor. I'm not sure why Rex is so in love with TT. he's tiny. i think Hundley can do everything TT can plus he is a big guy that can take the punishment

Edited by kdiggz

Polian just happens to be correct.

The Bills end up putting all of their eggs into one basket when they draft a QB. If you keep drafting quarterbacks every year, you'll hit paydirt sooner or later.

The Patriots did not need a QB when they selected Brady in the 6th round. They already had Drew Bledsoe, John Friesz, and Michael Bishop, who they drafted in the seventh round the previous year.

Look how that worked out for them..........

Where is the proof that drafting a QB every year means you'll eventually hit?

The Browns since 2000 have drafted something like 8 QBs, the Bills have drafted 3. Neither is closer to finding the answer.

The scouting process has gotten much much better at identifying talent. There are exactly 2 QBs who start in the NFL and are good that were picked out of the top 2 rounds. Everyone loves to use the Brady reference, but that situation is extremely rare. Of the starting QBs in the NFL, right now, 24 are first round picks. That's 2/3 of the league. Add in the 2nd rounders and that number climbs even higher. The over whelming majority of Qbs starting in the NFL right now are in the first 2 rounds and I don't think that's coincidence.

The Browns since 2000 have drafted something like 8 QBs, the Bills have drafted 3. Neither is closer to finding the answer.

The scouting process has gotten much much better at identifying talent. There are exactly 2 QBs who start in the NFL and are good that were picked out of the top 2 rounds. Everyone loves to use the Brady reference, but that situation is extremely rare. Of the starting QBs in the NFL, right now, 24 are first round picks. That's 2/3 of the league. Add in the 2nd rounders and that number climbs even higher. The over whelming majority of Qbs starting in the NFL right now are in the first 2 rounds and I don't think that's coincidence.

^^^This^^^

Also, the Jets basically took themselves out of the QB market next year by taking Petty. Who would you rather be the Jets or Bills? I'd much rather be the Bills and leave the door open (if Manuel doesn't nail down the job of course) to signing a free agent QB like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Nick Foles or maybe even Bradford if he can solidify himself this year as a strong and healthy viable QB this year and decides to bail on the Eagles. I'm sure not all these players will be available, but you know the chances are good that at least one of them will be and the Bills will be one of the top destinations.

Edited by 1billsfan

Those two guys are high priced failures that no one wants. This includes Chip not wanting Bradford. Both QBs have a long history of failures. With Cutler it's his inability to lead a team and his ability to play just as bad as he can play good. With Bradford the dude is as strong as a china doll. In the AFC East he'll be put in the hospital by the Jets.

I know it's old fashioned, but when you pick a first round QB you must give him three years to see what he can do or it's a waste of time. If you cut or trade EJ, and he becomes the next franchise QB of the Steelers, and the Bills are still flailing at the QB position, if that happens you deserve another 20 years of no playoffs.

Now the Bills have Matt Cassel waiting in the wings if Manuel bombs out. That's pretty much the best you could do this year. Adding Cutler or Bradford would have been like getting married and knowing full well it's not going to work out. EJ Manuel is going to be our starting QB this year and that's as it should be. It's the natural way of developing a QB and if it doesn't work out for the Bills and EJ you can rest assured that the Bills will make a change in 2016. Remember, the Bills are an attractive destination now. The best FA QBs will want to come to Buffalo first.

If this is the plan then I'm fine with it. My sense is that they're moving on from EJ and expect Cassel to win the job and Rex is perhaps hoping that Tyrod pushes him. I just don't see EJ as being part of their plans. But I could be wrong.