Breaking down Preston Brown's rookie yr/fit in Rex D

http://billsmafia.com/2015/04/23/breaking-down-buffalo-bills-lb-preston-browns-underrated-rookie-year-fit-in-rex-ryans-defense/

"Now heading into his second season, Brown will likely be the team's "Mike" linebacker in Rex Ryan's hybrid scheme that features a lot of 3-4 concepts. So let's take a look at what Preston Brown brings to the table."

52's the Mike!

Edited by YoloinOhio

great article, read it yesterday....some posters on this board will have their eyes opened in regards to Browns coverage ability - which ive been praising since midway through last season. He had a rough game against San Diego in coverage and that seemed to be all that people would remember.

Hes an all around SOLID linebacker who COULD be a pro bowler for years in the middle of this defense

We do need depth across the board at LB though in case someone gets Kiko'd

A very impressive Whaley draft pick, because while he showed flashes of these things in college, he didn't do them consistently. True instance of projection.

Very true. Also good coaching/development at the NFL level once he got here. I don't expect that to change with the new staff.

A very impressive Whaley draft pick, because while he showed flashes of these things in college, he didn't do them consistently. True instance of projection.

The other guy they could have taken was Borland. But that was unforeseeable.

It's so nice to not have Keith Ellison be our best linebacker, and undrafted guys start for us.

Wow, haven't heard that name in a long time. Having a 225lb guy trying to anchor our LB unit back in the day. My how far we have come. :thumbsup:

I was really impressed with him stepping up last year. I'll admit, I was thinking that he was an insurance policy in case Spikes was a dud, or if he played so well he could command a huge contract. But Brown has a run stopping ability that is similar, minus the personal fouls, plus coverage ability.

A strong rookie season is likely why we aren't seeing Spikes brought back.

I was really impressed with him stepping up last year. I'll admit, I was thinking that he was an insurance policy in case Spikes was a dud, or if he played so well he could command a huge contract. But Brown has a run stopping ability that is similar, minus the personal fouls, plus coverage ability.

A strong rookie season is likely why we aren't seeing Spikes brought back.

His game speed really impressed me, so I decided to compare his speed with Kiko's.

40 times H Mid L

Kiko: 4.85, 4.74, 4.64

PB: 4.86, 4.78, 4.68

Not much difference there.

That's pretty surprising.

Combine his pretty good speed with his good instincts and very quick reaction time and you can see why he gets to the ball so fast.

Brown is already very good. Can't wait to see him and Bradham with Rex.

Quinn really puts together some terrific articles using vines and understanding defenses.

His game speed really impressed me, so I decided to compare his speed with Kiko's.

40 times H Mid L

Kiko: 4.85, 4.74, 4.64

PB: 4.86, 4.78, 4.68

Not much difference there.

about 15lbs and a lot more bulk difference. I wonder if he drops 5-10 lbs or stays above 250lbs. Edited by TheTruthHurts

I'm OK with that.

Isn't the Raiders TD more on Lawson? Can you expect your MLB to get that far outside at the goal line?

I wouldn't go that far. Lawson's job on that play was to get to the QB, which wasn't going to happen. I doubt his job was to chip the RB since that would delay his pass rush.

Brown definitely took a bad step. It almost looked like he was expecting the RB to cut back inside. Also, the TE on that side was well positioned to make Brown take a longer path. A well-designed play, I'd say.

Edit: I think I see what you're saying -- perhaps Lawson's job was to decide whether to cover the RB or rush the passer. I'm not sure if Schwartz's defense worked that way, though.

Edited by Rubes