Peter King: Jahri Evans still on block(update:signed ext.)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like they plan to use the "restructuring of williams contract" card to get space to re-sign Dares

Kind of of ironic that everyone was so worries about screwing Miami cap space that with Buffalo's spending this year they may be in cap trouble in the future. Better hope this team works out and makes the playoffs or else things are gonna be messy......

It sounds like they plan to use the "restructuring of williams contract" card to get space to re-sign Dares

Kind of of ironic that everyone was so worries about screwing Miami cap space that with Buffalo's spending this year they may be in cap trouble in the future. Better hope this team works out and makes the playoffs or else things are gonna be messy......

Why do people keep saying this when it simply isnt true?

Whaley was quoted as saying he sees this years draft picks as back-ups only anyways...they might be waiting till the draft starts to see if they take a 5th

Interesting that he said this, honest maybe (GM's never really are), but interesting. Anyone have a link for context purposes?

I strongly agree. Count me as one of the few with serious misgivings about restructuring Mario's contract because of the cap, and btw he is my favorite player on this team by a wide margin.

To make an analogy that most cans can relate to, in that bringing in Mathis to the current roster would be the equivalent of adding a Marcell Dareus to the defensive line.

The current offensive line players on the roster all have faults that either they stink at run blocking or pass blocking or both. Some are inexperienced enough to take a few years to develop, or they may not ever develop into anything but a waste of time.

Think about how many players drafted by this team past the third round have gone on to have successful careers in the NFL, and the answer is very few to almost none.

Adding a proven run blocking vet like Mathis would not only ensure to get the value / production out of McCoy. It would also show the younger players what an actual all pro O linemen looks like, plays like. Then he would likely have a career span that parallels McCoy's.

Also, bringing in Mathis would actually give life to the ability of this team to be able to pound the rock against anybody, and not fall on their face in crunch time. This move would really complete the dream team build for this year.

a 3rd rounder, YES!

EDIT: How is that 4th for Bryce Brown working out? I would think that if Brown was worth a 4th then Mathis should be worth the #2 pick. Just sayin!

Im going to assume your just getting the name wrong, but we are talking about Evans OG from the Saints....your talking about Mathis OG from the Eagles

Interesting that he said this, honest maybe (GM's never really are), but interesting. Anyone have a link for context purposes?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/inside-the-nfl/inside-the-nfl-vic-carucci-bills-have-few-openings-20150328

“I think we invigorated the offense,” General Manager Doug Whaley said. “We’ve set it up where we can go anywhere in the draft just about and be happy with who we get. Because, if you look at it, in the second and third round, those guys are going to contribute, but besides guard, there’s not too many starting positions open.

“So when you look at our draft, let’s say, hypothetically, we take a guard with our first pick and he starts.” Players selected with “the third, fifth, the two sixths and the seventh” the Bills also have, “are going to have a hard time making our club – especially the fifth, sixth, and seventh guys who are most likely going to end up on the practice squad and are not going to be able to contribute.

“So our draft is going to look like, ‘They didn’t do anything, they’re not getting anything out of it.’ But it’s to the contrary. It’s, ‘We’ve got such a nice team right now with starters across the board.’

“That’s how we’re looking at it. That’s where we are as a team, which is a good feeling.”

so if they go OG with the 2nd he's saying the 3rd isn't needed..so if they traded that 3rd for an OG then they could go BPA with the 2nd..thats how I read it...but what do I know..lol

I strongly agree. Count me as one of the few with serious misgivings about restructuring Mario's contract because of the cap, and btw he is my favorite player on this team by a wide margin.

Trust me Bill, there really is no need for concern over future cap issues unless we find a Franchise QB......in which case it will be a problem greeted with open arms by one and all.

If they make the trade for a Guard,or sign a G that gets cut, then they take best OT at 50. Then BPA with 81.I like the idea of Blalock And Spikes.Every hole filled. Is their any starting caliber Tackles projected to be left on the board at 50?

Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? OT at 50! Genius move. Pure genius.

Why a third. Bet he could be had for a fourth. To trade a 4th for a starter is not too shabby imho

Interesting concept. Of course The Bills have no 4th round pick this year, so I guess we're just SOL. :doh:

prefer mathis from philly

but you take the first sure thing, so YES, in a heartbeat i give up a 3rd for Jahri

btw: the cap will be going up by about $10 mil per year for several years

Edited by papazoid

To make an analogy that most cans can relate to, in that bringing in Mathis to the current roster would be the equivalent of adding a Marcell Dareus to the defensive line.

The current offensive line players on the roster all have faults that either they stink at run blocking or pass blocking or both. Some are inexperienced enough to take a few years to develop, or they may not ever develop into anything but a waste of time.

Think about how many players drafted by this team past the third round have gone on to have successful careers in the NFL, and the answer is very few to almost none.

Adding a proven run blocking vet like Mathis would not only ensure to get the value / production out of McCoy. It would also show the younger players what an actual all pro O linemen looks like, plays like. Then he would likely have a career span that parallels McCoy's.

Also, bringing in Mathis would actually give life to the ability of this team to be able to pound the rock against anybody, and not fall on their face in crunch time. This move would really complete the dream team build for this year.

a 3rd rounder, YES!

EDIT: How is that 4th for Bryce Brown working out? I would think that if Brown was worth a 4th then Mathis should be worth the #2 pick. Just sayin!

Wow. So you're saying almost no one drafted in the third round or lower makes it in the NFL?? Do you realize Evans was a 4th round pick...from a D2 school to boot?? :lol: Edited by PromoTheRobot

I agree that if they went with a simple restructuring, that'd be a mistake. I don't see that in the cards. More likely, they'll rip up Mario's contract and sign him to a new one. It makes the most sense for the player and the team.

For example, right now Mario has cap hits of approximately $19.5M for the next 3 seasons. Suppose that they tear up his contract and sign him to a new 4-year deal, with $32M guaranteed and a total value of $64M. Instead of getting $19M in cash this season, Mario gets $32M; he's happy. The team, however, gets significant cap relief. Even all $32M is in the form of a signing bonus, that means a measly $8M against the cap each year. Then the salary structure can be manipulated to push the cap hit into the last season...something to the effect of base salaries that start at $2M in 2015, jump to $4M in 2016, $8M in 2017, and balloon to $18M in 2018, at which time he'll either retire or be released. The Bills would get cap relief of $9M this year, $7M in 2016, and $3M in 2017.

Says he could be had for a 3rd or 4th rd pick. Would you trade our 3rd? Whaley already tried to trade for him so we know they want him. Is that too much for him?

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/30/extra-points-pat-rule-change-nfl-draft/

At some point you have to stop spending!

Salary, roster bonus and workout bonus total for Evans: $7.5M

Current Bills cap space: $6.9M

I agree that if they went with a simple restructuring, that'd be a mistake. I don't see that in the cards. More likely, they'll rip up Mario's contract and sign him to a new one. It makes the most sense for the player and the team.

For example, right now Mario has cap hits of approximately $19.5M for the next 3 seasons. Suppose that they tear up his contract and sign him to a new 4-year deal, with $32M guaranteed and a total value of $64M. Instead of getting $19M in cash this season, Mario gets $32M; he's happy. The team, however, gets significant cap relief. Even all $32M is in the form of a signing bonus, that means a measly $8M against the cap each year. Then the salary structure can be manipulated to push the cap hit into the last season...something to the effect of base salaries that start at $2M in 2015, jump to $4M in 2016, $8M in 2017, and balloon to $18M in 2018, at which time he'll either retire or be released. The Bills would get cap relief of $9M this year, $7M in 2016, and $3M in 2017.

I feel like you are ignoring the previous signing bonus and option bonus still needing to be accounted for - as well as the fact that the last 8m if he retires or will be released will be dead money. but i admit i struggle with contracts in paragraph form instead of charting it out year by year

Salary, roster bonus and workout bonus total for Evans: $7.5M

Current Bills cap space: $6.9M

That is a snapshot in time. If the Bills wanted to acquire evans they could extend Cassel as they have discussed already to lower his current year cap hit of 4.5m, cut Chris Williams, and/or sign evans to a new deal once he is here. There is probably other cap magic they can do as well. They have been really creative at OBD this year.

Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? OT at 50! Genius move. Pure genius.

Interesting concept. Of course The Bills have no 4th round pick this year, so I guess we're just SOL. :doh:

Lol woops. Then a 4th next year? The point I was trying to make is that he could he plugged in right away and start my only hesitation on the 3rd is how many seasons left in the tank. But the argument can also be made that a plug and play is worth a 3rd as well

I feel like you are ignoring the previous signing bonus and option bonus still needing to be accounted for - as well as the fact that the last 8m if he retires or will be released will be dead money. but i admit i struggle with contracts in paragraph form instead of charting it out year by year

My understanding is that a player can be signed to a new deal (effectively voiding all terms of the old deal) at any time. It's fundamentally no different than a player taking a pay cut, wherein his cap number and salary are reduced to give the team relief. The only difference is that, in this case, the player gets more money (and more years) as opposed to less.

Regrettably, I can't find a link that explains it to my satisfaction. I'll keep looking when I have a minute and see what I can find though...

My understanding is that a player can be signed to a new deal (effectively voiding all terms of the old deal) at any time. It's fundamentally no different than a player taking a pay cut, wherein his cap number and salary are reduced to give the team relief. The only difference is that, in this case, the player gets more money (and more years) as opposed to less.

Regrettably, I can't find a link that explains it to my satisfaction. I'll keep looking when I have a minute and see what I can find though...

it would void the terms of the old deal, but that doesnt mean we dont have to account for the dollars already paid out in amortized bonuses under that deal (if i am reading your post correctly it seems thats what you are implying)