Peter King: Jahri Evans still on block(update:signed ext.)

Promo, I was talking about the Buffalo Bills history of drafting, and the ineptitude that has followed this franchise for a decade. Look back at the players drafted from the 3rd to 7th rounds over the last ten years, and tell me who made it to become a solid starter for more then a year or so besides Kyle Williams.

Buddy Nix had a philosophy that you can find decent starters for the offensive line in the later rounds. Those words in itself has to be the most moronic statement I've ever read, and he found some fans here to regurgitate that nonsense. Its utterly ridiculous to say that you can find a decent NFL starter for any position in the later rounds, as its usually pure luck finding one after the 3rd round.

This franchise has had enough trouble finding decent starters in the 2nd thru 3rd rounds much less after the 3rd, and seems to find only average players with its first round picks. You would think that being able to draft in the top 12 every year that they would find superstars. Then when they do find a superstar they can't get the production out of them and trade them away (Lynch). Kinda why the team needed to shell out 100 mill in free agency to Super Mario, as they couldn't find a JPP, or JJ Watt in the draft.

My take is the team should be looking hard at both Evans from the Saints, and Mathis from the Eagles as I have little faith in Incognito to control himself over an entire season. Want to understand just how bad this team was a run blocking last year? Go back and watch that Raiders game, and with a playoff berth on the line against a bad 2-12 team... the Bills had only 13 rushes for 13 yards.

The thinking that the new OC or line coach can fix all the ills with the players is delusional at best. Roman did really well in San Fran because he had 3 #1 draft picks on the line, and several pro bowlers. The Buffalo Bills website list Ex Bears OC Arron Kromer as the new Bills O line coach, and he has had pro bowl players on his line the last 6 seasons. The Bears #1 pick at OG in Kyle Long made it the PB last two years. Before that its OG Jahri Evans, & OG Carl Nicks with the Saints, and he could be the coach the Bills have needed for years, or not, or it could have been Sean Payton.

Then looking at last years draft where the #2 drafted OT is so bad he can't even see the field leaves me with no faith that the Bills scouts will find find quality starters in the draft for the line this season. JMO

What does the people running the Bills TODAY have to do with who ran it before? Seriously, there is a new owner, coaching staff, GM, and overall front office today compared to those other periods you are referencing. The current group running the show has put together one helluva roster the last couple of years, including the draft.

Not fair to paint them with the failures of regimes that are no longer here. I get you suffered through it as a fan, but it literally has no factual relevance on any level to what the people running the Bills in this draft will do.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree! Alas, it seems that although the FO started in that direction this free agency period they failed to obtain the players targeted and then walked away. Looking at the Bills players from last season I just don't get how the FO can even contemplate that they will be able to build a run first, power run game with the players on the roster. None are elite, and none are really great at run blocking that I've seen.

Fear..the offseason is not over yet........

We still have the draft

June 1st cuts have not yet been announced

Can we stop acting like this is the same old bills......most guaranteed money of ANY team this offseason........positive moves left and right.

What does the people running the Bills TODAY have to do with who ran it before? Seriously, there is a new owner, coaching staff, GM, and overall front office today compared to those other periods you are referencing. The current group running the show has put together one helluva roster the last couple of years, including the draft.

Not fair to paint them with the failures of regimes that are no longer here. I get you suffered through it as a fan, but it literally has no factual relevance on any level to what the people running the Bills in this draft will do.

I am able to separate regimes. no problem.

Last years ability to address the O line woes was not very good.

Chris Williams was a highlight in FA? He was easily considered a poor quality starter before he started.

Nailed the linebacker in Brown though !!

Fear..the offseason is not over yet........

We still have the draft

June 1st cuts have not yet been announced

Can we stop acting like this is the same old bills......most guaranteed money of ANY team this offseason........positive moves left and right.

I think it's fair to question some still. I like the moves but if you wanted to be a critic/cynic- we still haven't shown we know what we're doing at OL or qb, we again are investing in receiving threats for a coach that wants to power run, and we doled out a big deal to a RB with a ton of carries..... And we are changing the defense, again. I like the moves, don't get me wrong, but it could flop. And while a lot has changed our GM has been GM and assistant GM for a bit here while line and QB has gone backwards.

I know that sounds downer, despite me actually being very optimistic.

I think it's fair to question some still. I like the moves but if you wanted to be a critic/cynic- we still haven't shown we know what we're doing at OL or qb, we again are investing in receiving threats for a coach that wants to power run, and we doled out a big deal to a RB with a ton of carries..... And we are changing the defense, again. I like the moves, don't get me wrong, but it could flop. And while a lot has changed our GM has been GM and assistant GM for a bit here while line and QB has gone backwards.

I hope , like i , most of our posters here are very aware of your positive attitude towards the team.

But you are very good at being objective and occasionally the Devil's advocate : ).

I am excited to see what they roll out this year. But I have no feelings of security or a W/L record

I hope , like i , most of our posters here are very aware of your positive attitude towards the team.

But you are very good at being objective and occasionally the Devil's advocate : ).

I am excited to see what they roll out this year. But I have no feelings of security or a W/L record

Security is overrated. Just think NE fans must feel every year arrogantly thinking they will be seeing a contender year in and year out. If the Bills snatch the division title away from them this year, you'll be glad you didn't you didn't have feelings of security. Sports is supposed to be sweeter when the underdog comes out of nowhere and takes down the top dog.

Most of us see things about the team they unsure of or are downright skeptical about. But that doesn't stop us from being positive about where things are heading either. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat and all that jazz. I'm pumped like every off season. Maybe even more than other seasons. I think we might be on to greater things and it feels good.

We don't need no stinkin' security. We just need to see our team defy the odds. When it happens, the reward will be all the sweeter.

Security is overrated. Just think NE fans must feel every year arrogantly thinking they will be seeing a contender year in and year out. If the Bills snatch the division title away from them this year, you'll be glad you didn't you didn't have feelings of security. Sports is supposed to be sweeter when the underdog comes out of nowhere and takes down the top dog.

Most of us see things about the team they unsure of or are downright skeptical about. But that doesn't stop us from being positive about where things are heading either. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat and all that jazz. I'm pumped like every off season. Maybe even more than other seasons. I think we might be on to greater things and it feels good.

We don't need no stinkin' security. We just need to see our team defy the odds. When it happens, the reward will be all the sweeter.

Its all true !! Defy the Odds

Bills fans. gotta love em'

:thumbsup:

So what would you suggest he do differently? Do a better job of finding a QB?? If it were that easy there wouldn't be about half the teams in the league looking for a QB. He drafted a guy in the 1st round, so far hasn't looked too good, but again there are many more failures than successes. He may never find a good QB and if so, he's be about average for a GM. Was Poliean a genius to figure out he should have drafted Peyton Manning.

So what would you suggest he do differently? Do a better job of finding a QB?? If it were that easy there wouldn't be about half the teams in the league looking for a QB. He drafted a guy in the 1st round, so far hasn't looked too good, but again there are many more failures than successes. He may never find a good QB and if so, he's be about average for a GM. Was Poliean a genius to figure out he should have drafted Peyton Manning.

Like I said- I'm a fan, but I was simply wading into the discussion of whether the offseason was an unquestionable homerun (like we all hope) or if there's room for dissenting opinions.

Sure it's a new owner and new coach but our GM has been a leader in the organization for quite some time. That comes with some successes, and some misses, and some question marks. Is doling out 6m to percy, 13m to clay and like 15m to mccoy in 2015 a big swing? Surely. Will it connect? Hopefully!

As to the qb.... Who knows what we've missed that could've been more successful. It's a tough position to project. You've got to have the right talent evaluators pair the right qb, with the right coaching staff, the right team around him, and mix in some luck.... We havent shown we have it, yet. Like you said- it's a rarity for it all to align though.

I think we are a playoff team and am drinking koolaid but I won't be shocked if percy causes trouble, mccoy hits a wall and/or clay plays like an average tightend and we look back wishing we'd have given the clay (you can't resist us) treatment to iupati, or bulaga, etc....