Peter King: Jahri Evans still on block(update:signed ext.)

It sounds like they plan to use the "restructuring of williams contract" card to get space to re-sign Dares

Kind of of ironic that everyone was so worries about screwing Miami cap space that with Buffalo's spending this year they may be in cap trouble in the future. Better hope this team works out and makes the playoffs or else things are gonna be messy......

or they may not be....contracts expire and players will not be re-signed...in a couple of years most likely Graham, McKelvin and a few others will not be on the team....every year is different. Funny how we worried about how crappy this team has been. Now people are worried about the salary cap. Guess it wouldn't be Buffalo if there wasn't something to worry/complain about.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would void the terms of the old deal, but that doesnt mean we dont have to account for the dollars already paid out in amortized bonuses under that deal (if i am reading your post correctly it seems thats what you are implying)

I believe that yes, they do have to account for those dollars, but that they can distribute them over the length of the new deal. Not really sure...we need Overdorf!

I believe that yes, they do have to account for those dollars, but that they can distribute them over the length of the new deal. Not really sure...we need Overdorf!

I am not positive but I believe that in your example you could have the entire guaranteed portion paid out in the 1st 3 years of the deal or put off a small portion to year 4 to minimize the dead cap space in that last year. You could do something like 4 years $64M with $32M guaranteed as you suggested. Year 1 $15M cap hit, year 2 $15M cap hit and year 3 $15M cap hit and year 4 a $19M base salary (none of which is guaranteed). Again, I am not positive but I think that you could do something like this and tweak the numbers.

You'Re so right nucci, contracts will be expired, players will be gone. It's not like those players have to be replaced, upgraded, or players on cheap deals now have to be re-signed. Why does any team care about the cap? Spend it all and worry about it later, Marios contract can always be restructured! And next year the team won't have any positions in need of upgrading

You'Re so right nucci, contracts will be expired, players will be gone. It's not like those players have to be replaced, upgraded, or players on cheap deals now have to be re-signed. Why does any team care about the cap? Spend it all and worry about it later, Marios contract can always be restructured! And next year the team won't have any positions in need of upgrading

Except QB

CBF

sarcasm detected. Are you worried that whaley and overdorf don't know how to manage the cap? Or just worried in general?

With only 2 picks in the top 150 I am hesitant. But at the same time one of those top two picks is going to be used on a OL. We picked 3 OL last year who are still very young and developing. Evans is a top notch run blocker and played for Kromer, would be a big asset from that standpoint, and would be an outstanding vet presence on the line. since we already have young prospects on the line I would say do it.

And this makes sense as well.

His cap hit over the next two years is around $21M. His dead cap for the next two years is $6.5M. He would have to restructure, but if he didn't, what would be his cap hit for us?

I believe we would pay him $7.3 million which would include a $500K roster bonus, which would also be the cap hit this year. Next year is $8.5 million and the he would hit free agency. The $21 million figure you reference is the hit to New Orleans based on prorated signing bonus being applied.

That is a snapshot in time. If the Bills wanted to acquire evans they could extend Cassel as they have discussed already to lower his current year cap hit of 4.5m, cut Chris Williams, and/or sign evans to a new deal once he is here. There is probably other cap magic they can do as well. They have been really creative at OBD this year.

Pushing money into next season is not really much of an option. The Bills are already in line to have just over $135M in spending for 2016, which is the most in the league. If they traded for Evans he'd add $8.7M to 2016's numbers just by himself. Add to that whatever gets pushed into that year to get through 2015, too. Sometimes teams reach their limit and have to release or trade away a quality player. That's what NO is doing. (The only team with more money committed to players in 2016 probably shouldn't be trying to acquire his contract.). Sometimes it prevents them from re-signing such a player. I hope that isn't Dareus already. The Bills are at their limit for highly paid players and are bargain bin shopping now. That's just the reality. I hope they can keep Dareus around long term, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to manage it or not right now. If they push anymore money into future seasons or acquire another big contract then you can bet they won't be able to afford him.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Pushing money into next season is not really much of an option. The Bills are already in line to have just over $135M in spending for 2016, which is the most in the league. If they traded for Evans he'd add $8.7M to 2016's numbers just by himself. Add to that whatever gets pushed into that year to get through 2015, too. Sometimes teams reach their limit and have to release or trade away a quality player. That's what NO is doing. (The only team with more money committed to players in 2016 probably shouldn't be trying to acquire his contract.). Sometimes it prevents them from re-signing such a player. I hope that isn't Dareus already. The Bills are at their limit for highly paid players and are bargain bin shopping now. That's just the reality. I hope they can keep Dareus around long term, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to manage it or not right now. If they push anymore money into future seasons or acquire another big contract then you can bet they won't be able to afford him.

Spotrac has Buffalo at $125M:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2016/

And that's with 46 players under contract. They're actually in pretty solid shape for the next 2 seasons.

What's this mean? I checked the link and it's just as vague and confusing. Any idea what "Active Cap Spending" means? Is that exactly what we already have on the books for next year? Or do they estimate other additional signings as well?

I'm seriously asking because it seems a bit high considering we had a ton of 2016 cap space just a few weeks ago.

And that's with 46 players under contract. They're actually in pretty solid shape for the next 2 seasons.

That seems more in line with what I was thinking, and considering we added big numbers with Clay.

Edited by DrDareustein

Not sure I'd characterize next year as being in "solid shape".

After looking through the numbers and who we have to re-sign, there are either going to have to be some tough choices meaning we may have to lose a key contributor or some very creative restructuring of existing contracts in order to just retain our own players. And forget about adding any significant new FA's, just not gonna happen, not if we retain all the key players.

What's this mean? I checked the link and it's just as vague and confusing. Any idea what "Active Cap Spending" means? Is that exactly what we already have on the books for next year? Or do they estimate other additional signings as well?

I'm seriously asking because it seems a bit high considering we had a ton of 2016 cap space just a few weeks ago.

That seems more in line with what I was thinking, and considering we added big numbers with Clay.

I don't see Harvin on Spotrac's list. He's on Overthecap's list and that appears to be the whole discrepancy. Only what is currently on the books is included. Since he is not likely to be with the Bills next season he could reasonably be removed. Edited by BarleyNY

I don't see Harvin on Spotrac's list. He's on Overthecap's list and that appears to be the whole discrepancy. Only what is currently on the books is included. Since he is not likely to be with the Bills next season he could reasonably be removed.

Interesting, thanks

Not sure I'd characterize next year as being in "solid shape".

After looking through the numbers and who we have to re-sign, there are either going to have to be some tough choices meaning we may have to lose a key contributor or some very creative restructuring of existing contracts in order to just retain our own players. And forget about adding any significant new FA's, just not gonna happen, not if we retain all the key players.

I think it's worth assuming (a) a new deal for Mario, (b) McKelvin gets let go, © Chris Williams comes off the books, and (d) Urbik is released. That right there changes the picture significantly.

Nevertheless, having 46 players under contract for next year is a very favorable situation.

I think it's worth assuming (a) a new deal for Mario, (b) McKelvin gets let go, © Chris Williams comes off the books, and (d) Urbik is released. That right there changes the picture significantly.

Nevertheless, having 46 players under contract for next year is a very favorable situation.

i didn't look at all the links but Dareus is 8m against the cap this year with the option year, right? So I'm assuming that number rolls into whatever he will be at next year with the new deal, not on top of it. So that's good. Edited by YoloinOhio