With us all in on the Ground and Pound: Taylor will start

When we signed Rex and I heard his opening presser about the running game, I saw the OC we brought in with Roman, I saw the player pool available at QB.

I felt the Bills would be going all in with running game. Far beyond the level most coaches take it. I thought we we would lead the league in rushing attempts and do it in a diverse way. Which for me meant a hybrid NFL/College offense. A lot of read option, jet sweeps, and things Roman did with the 49ers. Then I thought we would have our power sets, FB/TE, conventional I-Form, utilize the PA passing game out of it. The focus being when the QB is asked to throw it's almost always in viable PA situations, 3rd and shorts, and other circumstances that we could minimize his reads or potential for turnovers.

Now that the off-season has played out, this picture I had of the Bills offense is turning into a carbon copy of what I expected. Shady gives us a lot of diversity in the option run game, power run game, and passing game. He's a do it all center piece I envisioned, I just didn't expect they would go this high end for that centerpiece. Felton is available for our power sets, as is Clay. Harvin adds some great diversity. He can run those jet sweeps, screens, and complimentary option play that can extend off traditional read option concepts.

The only thing I pictured needing that we didn't have for this offense to work was an extremely dynamic runner at QB. Manuel is mobile and can make plays with his feet. He is not dynamic. This type of offense needs more then a mobile QB if your going for the all in version. I didn't picture the Alex Smith version of Roman in SF, rather the CK version, and as these signings progressed it seemed like the CK version was even more likely. Enter Taylor, who immediately comes in being one of the top 3 most dangerous running QB's in football. From the tape I have seen on Taylor, if you can minimize his reads slightly, more playing, less thinking, I feel he could be outstanding. His play making potential and ability to create when things break down is also a thing of beauty.

I think Taylor will start this year and not because I'm selling EJ short or building Taylor up. I just think if you want to be the most run heavy and run dominant team in football, you want that dynamic threat to run at QB. Tyrod is the only player on the roster that teams would have to heavily game plan with in that regard. If he doesn't start, I certainly expect him to be part of package sets.

As a side note, like most, I would like another lineman added. But I do expect some solid development from our existing players in this department as well.

Edited by KzooMike

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we signed Rex and I heard his opening presser about the running game, I saw the OC we brought in with Roman, I saw the player pool available at QB.

I felt the Bills would be going all in with running game. Far beyond the level most coaches take it. I thought we we would lead the league in rushing attempts and do it in a diverse way. Which for me meant a hybrid NFL/College offense. A lot of read option, jet sweeps, and things Roman did with the 49ers. Then I thought we would have our power sets, FB/TE, conventional I-Form, utilize the PA passing game out of it. The focus being when the QB is asked to throw it's almost always in viable PA situations, 3rd and shorts, and other circumstances that we could minimize his reads or potential for turnovers.

Now that the off-season has played out, this picture I had of the Bills offense is turning into a carbon copy of what I expected. Shady gives us a lot of diversity in the option run game, power run game, and passing game. He's a do it all center piece I envisioned, I just didn't expect they would go this high end for that centerpiece. Felton is available for our power sets, as is Clay. Harvin adds some great diversity. He can run those jet sweeps, screens, and complimentary option play that can extend off traditional read option concepts.

The only thing I pictured needing that we didn't have for this offense to work was an extremely dynamic runner at QB. Manuel is mobile and can make plays with his feet. He is not dynamic. This type of offense needs more then a mobile QB if your going for the all in version. I didn't picture the Alex Smith version of Roman in SF, rather the CK version, and as these signings progressed it seemed like the CK version was even more likely. Enter Taylor, who immediately comes in being one of the top 3 most dangerous running QB's in football. He has experience, Flacco tutelage, and some experience. From the tape I have seen on Taylor, if you can minimize his reads slightly, more playing, less thinking, I feel he could be outstanding. His play making potential and ability to create when things break down is also a thing of beauty.

I think Taylor will start this year and not because I'm selling EJ short or building Taylor up. I just think if you want to be the most run heavy and run dominant team in football, you want that dynamic threat to run at QB. Tyrod is the only player on the roster that teams would have to heavily game plan with in that regard. If he doesn't start, I certainly expect him to be part of package sets.

As a side note, like most, I would like another lineman added. But I do expect some solid development from our existing players in this department as well.

Your guess is probably every bit as good as mine but.....

I look at this team with all of its weapons and I think they are gonna want a veteran distributor of the ball under center......I mean look at it

Watkins - you play with a running QB you are taking a lot of him out of the offense.....we gave up a lot for this kid and he is VERY talented

Woods - Pure route runner.....he needs someone throwing him the ball

Harvin - You are better off passing it to him or handing if off to him to get the most out of him

Clay - Security blanket TE......blocks....catches....even runs with the ball

Shady - why have a running qb when you have the 3rd best runner in the NFL....also a pass catcher

Felton - safety valve catcher......

I think what they need from the QB is a guy who makes good decisions and put the ball into the hands of the above playmakers

I really think its gonna be Matt Cassel

Good point here. And I agree to the extent that to run the full gambit of Roman's previously shown preferences, a mobile QB that can make plays on the fly and be a respected threat in a designed run game, would be desirable. But first and foremost, Roman needs a QB that can make plays from the pocket; it is absolutely essential. We all saw how Kapernick failed to make that transition. If Taylor has that kind of talent, I can see him making a claim. I just don't know if he does.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills will obviously run the ball a lot this year but I am not completely buying into all of the ground and pound talk we keep hearing about. They did not add Clay and Harvin to an offense that already includes Watkins and Woods just to run the ball every first and second down.

Maybe its me but i think they are going to end up being more of a passing team then we are being led to believe. They certainly wont be the Broncos but I dont think they will be the 2001 Ravens either.

The only thing I pictured needing that we didn't have for this offense to work was an extremely dynamic runner at QB. Manuel is mobile and can make plays with his feet. He is not dynamic. This type of offense needs more then a mobile QB if your going for the all in version. I didn't picture the Alex Smith version of Roman in SF, rather the CK version, and as these signings progressed it seemed like the CK version was even more likely. Enter Taylor, who immediately comes in being one of the top 3 most dangerous running QB's in football. From the tape I have seen on Taylor, if you can minimize his reads slightly, more playing, less thinking, I feel he could be outstanding. His play making potential and ability to create when things break down is also a thing of beauty.

If Tyrod wins the QB competition it will be with his arm, not his legs. While I am sure the prospect of him running the option was on Roman and Rex's mind when they signed him, he will still have to make all the throws, as they say. And no one knows where EJ is at after being benched for 14 games but I can definitely see this competition coming down to Cassell and Taylor if the reports of EJ playing horribly in practice last year are true. Even Trent Edwards looked good in practice.

It will be interesting, to say the least.

Ground and pound is a marketing phrase. Of course you need to both run and pass but the ability to line up Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay and McCoy seems like they will throw their fair share. That's a lot speed on the field.

Ya, I know this is the never ending conversation, Taylor as well as the rest already have a lot of threads. I don't post a lot anymore, just been following intensely from the sidelines. I don't think Tyrod is the best passer, probably 3rd. But I do think he can apply so much pressure to the defense with his legs it turns him into the best passer.

I think EJ will be our starter.

Me too. One thing I don't see mentioned too often is how EJ excels at play action, which would very important in our offense. I would love nothing more than to see EJ finally bloom for us, but I have my doubts (as we all do).

If it isn't EJ, I lean toward Cassel. But I really have seen nothing from Tyrod. Don't really even remember his preseason work.

Your guess is probably every bit as good as mine but.....

I look at this team with all of its weapons and I think they are gonna want a veteran distributor of the ball under center......I mean look at it

Watkins - you play with a running QB you are taking a lot of him out of the offense.....we gave up a lot for this kid and he is VERY talented

Woods - Pure route runner.....he needs someone throwing him the ball

Harvin - You are better off passing it to him or handing if off to him to get the most out of him

Clay - Security blanket TE......blocks....catches....even runs with the ball

Shady - why have a running qb when you have the 3rd best runner in the NFL....also a pass catcher

Felton - safety valve catcher......

I think what they need from the QB is a guy who makes good decisions and put the ball into the hands of the above playmakers

I really think its gonna be Matt Cassel

Short passing game is often viewed as part of the run game, so you need to take that into consideration. Whoever throws the best screen is going to start at QB.

I have a few thoughts on this thread.

First, the OP is rolling the dice on a long shot that could net him a lot of credibility if it hits.

Second, let's knock it off with this term, "all in." It especially doesn't apply to this situation. Are we EVER going to throw the ball? Yes? Then we're not "all in." We're going to balance our approach in a way that maximizes our strengths which are being built around a strong running offense. If Cassel, or EJ, or (however unlikely) Taylor start throwing bullets, you can bet we will shift the balance in that direction. "All in" suggest that there is no turning back. That is the nature of an "all in" bet.

Third, (assuming we're using betting vernacular) I would think that Cassel would be, at this point, the odds-on favorite to start.

Good point here. And I agree to the extent that to run the full gambit of Roman's previously shown preferences, a mobile QB that can make plays on the fly and be a respected threat in a designed run game, would be desirable. But first and foremost, Roman needs a QB that can make plays from the pocket; it is absolutely essential. We all saw how Kapernick failed to make that transition. If Taylor has that kind of talent, I can see him making a claim. I just don't know if he does.

GO BILLS!!!

I can understand that line of thinking.. Taylor's game is more suited for read/option kind of offense. Cassel is on the complete other end of the spectrum.

Come to think about it... EJ being right in the middle may be the best fit.

EJ seemed to be at his best when he able to play off the running game from under center and we were doing the I formation power run game thing. Once we abandoned that and went into predominately shot gun stuff he struggled

Edited by Bocephuz

Ya, I know this is the never ending conversation, Taylor as well as the rest already have a lot of threads. I don't post a lot anymore, just been following intensely from the sidelines. I don't think Tyrod is the best passer, probably 3rd. But I do think he can apply so much pressure to the defense with his legs it turns him into the best passer.

Again, unless he can hurt defenses throwing from the pocket, it won't matter how good his legs are.

GO BILLS!!!

My avatar is BJ Daniels, not Russell Wilson...look closely. :-)

I like him for the same reasons the OP likes Taylor. Daniels was drafted by SF and played under Harbaugh and Roman after being drafted in the 7th round in 2013. He was ultimately released with the emergence of Colin Kaepernick and picked up off waivers by Seattle. He is currently under contract in Seattle after having been promoted to their 53 man roster in January. He was inactive during the Seahawks playoff run but he was always in on the sideline discussions. With TJax making the rounds (recently visiting Miami), it's possible that Daniels could be competing for Wilson's backup next year in Seattle.

Anyway...as improbable as it may seem I believe Taylor has a better shot than most outside observers would give him at this point. Given the fact that Rex tried to get Taylor when he was coaching the Jets, and that he fits Roman's "type", it appears that Taylor was acquired for more than just training camp "competition". The friendly relationship between Taylor and Manuel also adds some drama to this competition.

The Bills now have an Alex Smith type in Cassel, a Kap type in Taylor, and someone in between in Manuel. The game plan would change based on who is playing QB but Roman has proven he can successfully adjust to maximize the QB's strengths.

Edited by 217014170

If Tyrod wins the QB competition it will be with his arm, not his legs. While I am sure the prospect of him running the option was on Roman and Rex's mind when they signed him, he will still have to make all the throws, as they say. And no one knows where EJ is at after being benched for 14 games but I can definitely see this competition coming down to Cassell and Taylor if the reports of EJ playing horribly in practice last year are true. Even Trent Edwards looked good in practice.

It will be interesting, to say the least

UMMMM what reports were those? I honestly don't remember anyone saying that, I dont remember anyone saying much of anything at all about EJ, AND if I did itwas that he had improved and had learned alot from watcing Orton prepare. I discount everything JOE B says. he's had it in for EJ from day one. If he had a good day in camp, all you heard from him was crickets chirping. I FULLY expect EJ to win this competition.