With us all in on the Ground and Pound: Taylor will start

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but there is no way Taylor will be the day 1 starter. Taylor can't even match Tuel for accuracy. Even EJ has more starts under his belt. My guess is that EJ and Cassel will be the 2 top dogs battling for #1. Cassel is the most likely candidate unless EJ can do enough in camp to leave Cassel behind significantly.

We are certainly going to have some interesting run formations this year, but the QB is going to be graded on his ability to throw not run.

Fellas, fellas, fellas.

Cassel is going to be the starting QB for the Bills this year.................that is, unless Manuel wakes up and starts to play with some real confidence.

Taylor is an outstanding athlete. No doubt about. Just watch some of his VT highlights. Too good for the college game for sure. The problem is that most of his big plays were made with his feet and not his arm. That's not going to be good enough to secure full-time duty in the NFL.

Cassel is a very savvy NFL QB. He won't have to be great w/ weapons like L. McCoy, S. Watkins, C. Clay, P. Harvin, R. Woods, F. Jackson and more to work with. He's just need to limit his mistakes by getting the ball into the hands of these playmakers.

I do think that we may see Taylor play some minor role at QB in using the "read-option" or some facsimilie of the "Wildcat".

Sorry, but there is no way Taylor will be the day 1 starter. Taylor can't even match Tuel for accuracy. Even EJ has more starts under his belt. My guess is that EJ and Cassel will be the 2 top dogs battling for #1. Cassel is the most likely candidate unless EJ can do enough in camp to leave Cassel behind significantly.

We are certainly going to have some interesting run formations this year, but the QB is going to be graded on his ability to throw not run.

I think the moves to get Harvin and Clay tell me that they are going to pass the ball some and my thoughts are that Manuel is tabbed as the starter. I see Roman using a lot of play fakes, misdirection, fake reverses, roll outs because those are the kind of plays that will be best for guys like Clay and Harvin. Manuel is the only QB on the team who has the combination of both running and passing ability.

Cassell is no threat to run with the ball and Taylor is more of a runner than passer.

UMMMM what reports were those? I honestly don't remember anyone saying that, I dont remember anyone saying much of anything at all about EJ, AND if I did itwas that he had improved and had learned alot from watcing Orton prepare. I discount everything JOE B says. he's had it in for EJ from day one. If he had a good day in camp, all you heard from him was crickets chirping. I FULLY expect EJ to win this competition.

I remember some of those. It was like feeding fat wood to a bonfire.

I can't wait for TC to arrive this year. I don't care who's quarterbacking it. This is not a 9-7 team.

The guy who is going to start is the guy who makes the most consistent pre-snap reads, gets the ball out of his hands quick, makes good decisions, and makes the most accurate short passes into players hands who can then make the most YAC. That guy is probably Meh Cassell.

If EJ or Taylor can do the above things as good or nearly as good as Meh, they will be given strong consideration to start based on their feet and legs. That remains to be seen. I'm not predicting it.

It's a good thread and idea though Kzoo.

Cassel: such a bland blah blah type of guy for the QB job... I doubt anyone here wants to see him win this competition

EJ: I dont think many fans are giving him a shot to win this job and many people have written him off already. Dont forget the guy has all the physical tools you look for in a QB. He was thrown to the wolves his rookie year and managed to do pretty well (carolina panthers game anyone?). From all reports we've read it appears like he handled his demotion to Orton with class and who knows, with a chip on his shoulder and a year to sit back and watch the game maybe he will be able to make the leap in year three

Taylor: Ahhh the perpeptual unknown commodity....the backup QB... the guy that Bills fans can pin their hopes and dreams to. I must admit that having Tyrod in the fold makes things exciting and we all hope we somehow have unearthed a hidden gem. Just keep expectations in check, it wouldnt surprise any of us if tyrod ended up a 3rd string behind EJ or Cassel. I think it would be smart for all of us as fans to temper our expectations and wait for him to light up training camp or a preaseason game before we annoint him as god.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

The guy who is going to start is the guy who makes the most consistent pre-snap reads, gets the ball out of his hands quick, makes good decisions, and makes the most accurate short passes into players hands who can then make the most YAC. That guy is probably Meh Cassell.

If EJ or Taylor can do the above things as good or nearly as good as Meh, they will be given strong consideration to start based on their feet and legs. That remains to be seen. I'm not predicting it.

It's a good thread and idea though Kzoo.

I find it hard to believe that Roman is going to start a QB who played so bad that he was eventually benched for Brady Quinn. The Chiefs subsequently released Cassel and traded for the QB Roman didn't want anymore.

Based on this history, I just don't think Roman's plan was to come to Buffalo and have Matt Cassel as his starting QB. I really think that Manuel is the QB Roman wants to coach up and start. I get the sense that Cassel is the "emergency" QB like Orton was, only not as good but he'll be a much better mentor.

I think the moves to get Harvin and Clay tell me that they are going to pass the ball some and my thoughts are that Manuel is tabbed as the starter. I see Roman using a lot of play fakes, misdirection, fake reverses, roll outs because those are the kind of plays that will be best for guys like Clay and Harvin. Manuel is the only QB on the team who has the combination of both running and passing ability.

Cassell is no threat to run with the ball and Taylor is more of a runner than passer.

Hard to say whether Manuel or Cassel have the inside track. Camp is going to decide that. Cassel has more experience and may be better at spread the ball around to various receivers. Manuel is still a great athlete though in his own right and can use that to his advantage. Also, Manuel is not as inaccurate as people think. He is very accurate. His problem has been timing and IMHO poor coaching.

Everyone is hung up on Ryans ground and pound comments. When you have receivers like this, you are not going to only throw on 3rd down like many think. There will be passing aplenty. With Roman as OC you can also be sure there will be some very interesting running plays. The McCoy and Felton show will be on display too. Teams with weak run stopping ability will be run on. Teams with weak pass stopping ability will be passed on. And doesn't matter who the QB will be.

I know one thing....the offense is catching up with the defense pretty fast with all of these off season moves

Manuel doesn't have the pro arm we need....hoping the other two do, and they will, then start. EJ, for the record, can run some....and he did the first year here. He got hurt and lost the end of the season. The last year, he didn't run to speak of, he was saving himself......so, if a QB can run but won't, he isn't much good. EJ needs to get his head together, and, needs better accuracy. I am not optimistic about his future. He has many good qualities I am told, but he is a long way from an NFL QB where I come from. And, I don't think that Ryan and his staff will baby sit EJ like last years staff. EJ will have to do it with the same coaching the other two get. And, I don't think he can, regretably.

My guess is that Cassel and Manuel compete to be starter but that Taylor gets snaps every game - I could imagine a hurry up Watkins, Harvey, Woods, Goodwin, Clay, Taylor set that plays one or two possessions a game - in contrast to Manuel/Cassel, McCoy, Felton, Clay, Watkins, Harvey set that might be the base

My guess is that Cassel and Manuel compete to be starter but that Taylor gets snaps every game - I could imagine a hurry up Watkins, Harvey, Woods, Goodwin, Clay, Taylor set that plays one or two possessions a game - in contrast to Manuel/Cassel, McCoy, Felton, Clay, Watkins, Harvey set that might be the base

That's an interesting thought. Could be a super hurry up like the Eagles, with either EJ or Taylor running it, and do a ton of read option with the QB a running threat, and speed everywhere. Maybe even without Clay and just have Watkins, Harvin, Woods, and Goodwin, and maybe even Freddy is part of that package so he can stay in and block if he has to. That would be fun and the defense would surely have to practice for it.

Ground and pound is a marketing phrase. Of course you need to both run and pass but the ability to line up Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay and McCoy seems like they will throw their fair share. That's a lot speed on the field.

Exactly, people are making way too much of that phrase. What Rex said at his introductory presser was:

"Are we going to do ground and pound? Yeah. You're darn right we are. Are we going to throw it? Yeah, we got Sammy Watkins outside, why wouldn't we throw it?"

Now you can add: "Yeah, we got Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin and Charles Clay, why wouldn't we throw it?"

We aren't going to run or throw with any success if we don't fix the OL. Fortunately that should be easier to do than finding a franchise QB.

Exactly, people are making way too much of that phrase. What Rex said at his introductory presser was:

"Are we going to do ground and pound? Yeah. You're darn right we are. Are we going to throw it? Yeah, we got Sammy Watkins outside, why wouldn't we throw it?"

Now you can add: "Yeah, we got Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin and Charles Clay, why wouldn't we throw it?"

We aren't going to run or throw with any success if we don't fix the OL. Fortunately that should be easier to do than finding a franchise QB.

Yep. And the 49ers, running Roman's power running scheme, threw 30 times a game last year.