With us all in on the Ground and Pound: Taylor will start

YOu all need to stop reading to much into the tea leaves. Ground and Pound is nice but you don't spend 50 million dollars on two Offensive receiving threats unless you plan to throw the ball.

Tyrod Tyler seems to be a good athlete but that doesn't mean he can run the offense and be a good Passer in this league. By all accounts he had issues with both.

I expect EJ to outright win the Job.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roman has a diversely talented set of skill position players to design upon - this includes the QB position.

i'm thinking that each set of designs he creates for the multiple personnel pkgs this pool of players affords him, will be designed to be executed by the QB who has the most diversity in his game. that includes solid play from the pocket (mechanics, presence, ability to extend plays), and the ability to threaten the defense with his athleticism (read option, inside zone, play option pass, bootlegs). now keep in mind.. just the 'threat' of a QB breaking containment in an offense loaded with talent is a huge concern, defensively - and has to be accounted for.

whoever Roman breaks camp with, will be the three who are able to perform well in more of his designs than who's left behind

and his starter will perform better in more of his designs than the other two

without having seen Taylor (other than college clips), i'd think that Manuel is the most well-rounded of the three.

but if Taylor isn't a train wreck in the pocket, and Cassel and Tuel can move well enough outside the pocket to draw defenders - it will be a heckuva competition.

Oddly, I have to say that this is the best post I have read for making the case that Tyrod could start.

It's easy to forget that EJ had three knee injuries in his first season, but, it's not helpful. A lot of hay has been made regarding the notion of Marrone "holding EJ back," regarding the read option, and his ability to extend plays, and run the ball. But, seriously-- three knee injuries, both knees, in his rookie year! People on this board love to accuse others of refusing to acknowledge EJ's numbers, and how "his stats are better in his first 14 games than many of the greats," (to quote Alphadawg7), yet they act as if those three knee injuries never happened.

They did!

If accuracy issues are able to be overcome (many on this site have posited that they are not), then Tyrod, and EJ are on equal footing. Neither have shown themselves to be accurate to date. But, in terms of the read option, and the ability to run? Advantage: Taylor.

Also, let's not forget: Rex has spoken very highly of Tyrod. Of EJ? Not so much.

All that being said, Cassel is still the odds-on favorite to start.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Oddly, I have to say that this is the best post I have read for making the case that Tyrod could start.

It's easy to forget that EJ had three knee injuries in his first season, but, it's not helpful. A lot of hay has been made regarding the notion of Marrone "holding EJ back," regarding the read option, and his ability to extend plays, and run the ball. But, seriously-- three knee injuries, both knees, in his rookie year! People on this board love to accuse others of refusing to acknowledge EJ's numbers, and how "his stats are better in his first 14 games than many of the greats," (to quote Alphadawg7), yet they act as if those three knee injuries never happened.

They did!

If accuracy issues are able to be overcome (many on this site have posited that they are not), then Tyrod, and EJ are on equal footing. Neither have shown themselves to be accurate to date. But, in terms of the read option, and the ability to run? Advantage: Taylor.

Also, let's not forget: Rex has spoken very highly of Tyrod. Of EJ? Not so much.

All that being said, Cassel is still the odds-on favorite to start.

Cassel is the odds on favorite to be insurance in case EJ/Tyrod go down.

It's easy to forget that EJ had 2 while in Buffalo IIRC - Aug 17, 2013 · AP. Bills quarterback EJ Manuel will undergo “minor” surgery on his left knee and Jan 30, 2014 · After missing the final two games of the regular season with a sprained LCL in his left knee,

It's easy to forget that Meh Cassel had 2 surgeries one on his foot about 6 months ago

Tyrod Taylor???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a better indicator of the state of the QB quality in Buffalo than that the OP has opined that he would be his go-to guy?

His career consists of 35 pass attempts in 4 years.

Cassell is old and done, not that he was ever much, anyway..

Taylor's resume is no better than Tuel's.

EJ is easily the player we all better hope wins the starting spot and he can't accurately throw the football. I can't believe I'm saying it, but he offers the Bills their best chance at winning games.

If the team can improve their O-line at the draft, the team might be good enough to snare a playoff spot despite offering what appears to be three zeros at QB.

Here's to hoping EJ miraculously figures out how t throw a football, because short of that, the Bills are a multi-talented team going nowhere, again.

I think it all boils down to which EJ we see in pre season. The EJ living up to his potential or the EJ we saw last season. IF he has gotten better than I think he's got a shot. I think Tyrod is going to give him a run for his money. Cassel will impress in practice but will probably not be the starter. Of course it is all speculation till the pads go on. Stop gap QB's won't win us a Super Bowl. EJ has to step up or he's toast.