Starbucks Fans...Whadayathink of this new idea?

IDBillzFan

Starbucks CEO has a new plan to get you to talk about racism in America. It includes their baristas writing "Race Together" on a cup in hopes you ask "What does this mean?" at which point the barista will talk to you about how bad racism is in America.

Frankly, I'm not a Starbucks fan because (a) the idea of standing in a long line for a cup of coffee is ridiculous and (b) I think their coffee tastes horrible.

Regardless, the company is hugely successful based on all the people who somehow have turned it into some status symbol. It's like, well, I can't drive a Mini Cooper, but at least I'm not drinking that McDonald's swill.

So I'm curious; if you're a Starbucks fan, do you like this idea? Do you care?

Chime in, please.

Edited by LABillzFan

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Socially, good on them for wanting to take part in the process.

Functionally, nope. Give me my coffee, I don't want to be held up because a barista is talking someone's ear off.

Starbucks can probably find a better way to help communities, imo.

Frankly, I'm not a Starbucks fan because (a) the idea of standing in a long line for a cup of coffee is ridiculous and (b) I think their coffee tastes horrible.

You should have led with I think their coffee tastes horrible. and moved on.

Also isn't this a PPP topic? just asking.

A. I never encountered a long line @ Starbucks, I must visit them in the poor, unstatus driven parts of town.

B. I thought it was about taste and their coffee. I am not a coffee drinker and have probably downed about a teaspooon of coffee in all my 47 years. So, I don't know what good coffee tastes like vs. bad coffee. Now, my wife is a coffee drinker and she claims there is a difference between Folgers and a good blend (Starbucks, etc.. "premium" roasts). Now, who am I to know.

C. Whenever I am in Starbucks (only with wife and children) I am usually the one paying the bill... So I would never get a scribbling mad cup of joe... That's what the pick-up area is for. Anyway, even if I did pick-up the order when called out, I would immediately cover the hot cup up w/one of those "cup cozy" things... You know paper insulator... I guess covered up much like racism in America.

D. Just tell me how much you will hit my debit card and my family will be happily on their way.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

i think this is a good move by Starbucks....most people don't go to starbucks just for the coffee, it's the attitude of the place. We all know you can get better and cheaper coffee at any number of places, but Starbucks has become almost a 'hyde park' type place where social awareness and discussion is prevalent and encouraged. Wouldn't bother me one bit...now if they do that when i am at Wawa, that's another story all together.....

Yes, because I need a wage slave with a high school diploma (maybe) talking to me about issues they probably know next to nothing about.

That said, I get my coffee from Stewart's. At least there the wage slave with a high school diploma (maybe) is usually a cute chick who just giggles politely at my bad jokes and asks if I want my receipt.

Starbucks CEO has a new plan to get you to talk about racism in America. It includes their baristas writing "Race Together" on a cup in hopes you ask "What does this mean?" at which point the barista will talk to you about how bad racism is in America.

Regardless, the company is hugely successful based on all the people who somehow have turned it into some status symbol. It's like, well, I can't drive a Mini Cooper, but at least I'm not drinking that McDonald's swill.

So I'm curious; if you're a Starbucks fan, do you like this idea? Do you care?

Chime in, please.

What happens if I don't agree racism is bad in America?

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Interesting topic. I guess the problem I see with it is interviewing potential employees. What if someone is a perfectly qualified candidate to work there but uncomfortable talking about race, sexual preference, etc. Will that person be denied a job (or fired) because they don't want to discuss those things. Not saying it will happen, but you could see this blowing up into a major news story when the first person is let go or denied a job because they don't want to discuss such topics as a requirement of serving coffee.

Yes, because I need a wage slave with a high school diploma (maybe) talking to me about issues they probably know next to nothing about.

That said, I get my coffee from Stewart's. At least there the wage slave with a high school diploma (maybe) is usually a cute chick who just giggles politely at my bad jokes and asks if I want my receipt.

Nailed it. If I really need some comically misinformed 19 year old social justice warrior telling me how the world works I'll just browse reddit or tumblr.

Interesting topic. I guess the problem I see with it is interviewing potential employees. What if someone is a perfectly qualified candidate to work there but uncomfortable talking about race, sexual preference, etc. Will that person be denied a job (or fired) because they don't want to discuss those things. Not saying it will happen, but you could see this blowing up into a major news story when the first person is let go or denied a job because they don't want to discuss such topics as a requirement of serving coffee.

They can't all think the same way. Sooner or later one of those ideas contradictory to what corporate thinks will be spoken. That's when the real fun begins.

I think I may have misunderstood. I thought it was just to get the conversation going/moving along; didn't know the baristas would actually have to engage in the conversation.

As far as the interviewing of potential employees, wouldn't it be as easy as putting the expectations within the job description? "Must be comfortable/willing to discuss sensitive topics such as race, religion, sexual preference, etc.?" I'd think the current employees would not be held to those requirements, but I'm far from an expert.

What happens if I don't agree racism is bad in America?

You will be made to agree.

I consider anything that will prompt healthy, productive conversation regarding racism a good idea, personally.

What makes you think this would prompt a healthy, productive conversation? What does a healthy, productive conversation about race look like anyway?

You will be made to agree.

What makes you think this would prompt a healthy, productive conversation? What does a healthy, productive conversation about race look like anyway?

I didn't say 100% of the conversation prompted via this ploy would be healthy and productive. I simply stated that if any healthy, productive conversation was generated as a result of the exercise - that I thought it would be a good idea

A healthy, productive conversation about any topic is one through which the participants each learn something new whilst engaging in a civil, respectful discussion.

I think I may have misunderstood. I thought it was just to get the conversation going/moving along; didn't know the baristas would actually have to engage in the conversation.

As far as the interviewing of potential employees, wouldn't it be as easy as putting the expectations within the job description? "Must be comfortable/willing to discuss sensitive topics such as race, religion, sexual preference, etc.?" I'd think the current employees would not be held to those requirements, but I'm far from an expert.

In partnership with USA Today, Starbucks has launched a week-long campaign under the banner “Race Together” to get staff and customers talking about race. In a video message, Schultz urges “partners” to write the phrase on their paper cups “to facilitate a conversation between you and our customers.” A USA Today supplement, set to be published March 20, includes a number of “conversation starters,” including the fill-in-the-blank question: “In the past year, I have been to the home of someone of a different race ___ times.”

It looks like Starbucks wants the employee to write the message on the cup to invite a conversation. Writing the words "Race Together" on the cup is fine, but if the customer hits the employee with a question about race relations, this could end in an assortment of ways:

1) The employee stands there dumbfounded not knowing what to say because he just wants to end his shift and go home;

2) The employee engages in a conversation with someone who believes there is no "race" problem and it escalates quickly to a point where the hot coffee ends up in someone's face, or

3) The employee and the customer have a great, in depth conversation re. race relations (this is the goal obviously), or

4) Customer puts a cardboard insulator around the cup covering the words and walks out.