Starbucks Fans...Whadayathink of this new idea?

IDBillzFan

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to stick my neck way out there but here goes. Since I've moved to the Bay Area I've found myself around Chinese a lot. I mean a LOT. And I just don't like them. They're very loud, dirty (in a litter bug way), have zero manners(if I see one more Chinese guy cut in front of my wife.....), are very pushy and can't drive for crap. This is not a stereotype this is just the way they are almost to a person. Does this make me a racists? I mean really do we have to like or tolerate everyone? What's the difference in not caring that much about a certain race and being racist? Or is there no difference?

I'm going to stick my neck way out there but here goes. Since I've moved to the Bay Area I've found myself around Chinese a lot. I mean a LOT. And I just don't like them. They're very loud, dirty (in a litter bug way), have zero manners(if I see one more Chinese guy cut in front of my wife.....), are very pushy and can't drive for crap. This is not a stereotype this is just the way they are almost to a person. Does this make me a racists? I mean really do we have to like or tolerate everyone? What's the difference in not caring that much about a certain race and being racist? Or is there no difference?

Some of that perceived rudeness can be chalked up to cultural divide. Shoving to get onto public transportation and generally having no appreciation for lines/queues isn't rude at all in many areas of the world. I can't say that I care for that approach but I don't think its necessarily intended to be rude.

I had some rather strong opinions about the driving practices while I was in China but I'll stop myself here.

Ok, then define stereotype.

A trait that is not the majority. For instance the stereotype of Italians (I'm Italian) being mobsters. Jews being cheap. Irish big drinkers and fighters.

Some of that perceived rudeness can be chalked up to cultural divide. Shoving to get onto public transportation and generally having no appreciation for lines/queues isn't rude at all in many areas of the world. I can't say that I care for that approach but I don't think its necessarily intended to be rude.

I had some rather strong opinions about the driving practices while I was in China but I'll stop myself here.

Oh I know the reason for the rudeness. I lived in an area that had a large Russian population. Those woman would rush to the front of the line like crazy. "Hey lady. This is the US. We don't run out of bread!!"

Edited by Chef Jim

That's interesting and tough. Would you alter the way you deal w/said person. Treat them any differently than other races. Better or worse? Or, would you just not care for them but conduct yourself in a fair, equitable, and compassionate way even given their shortcomings?

I probably live in a 60-40 neigborhood between non-minority (white) and minority (Asian/Hispanic). It was windy today and recyclables were blowing all over. In general, I find most people are slobs with their garbage... Heck, it's the garbage! I kind of cringed when I seen the look on my daughter's face thinking that it may have been one of the minority neighbors that didn't keep their garbage in check. I guess she sees me stop the car and run out pick the items up and throw it into our recyclables? I made a point to drive by one house that is non-minority and say: "Hey, they ain't too neat either, could have come from them."

I wonder who the garbage was coming from? Even seeing who it came from... I try not to judge and lead by example. Maybe I am fool, I pick up their litter from blowing all over the hood. No exceptions.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That's interesting and tough. Would you alter the way you deal w/said person. Treat them any differently than other races. Better or worse? Or, would you just not care for them but conduct yourself in a fair, equitable, and compassionate way even given their shortcomings?

I probably live in a 60-40 neigborhood between non-minority (white) and minority (Asian/Hispanic). It was windy today and recyclables were blowing all over. In general, I find most people are slobs with their garbage... Heck, it's the garbage! I kind of cringed when I seen the look on my daughter's face thinking that it may have been one of the minority neighbors that didn't keep their garbage in check. I guess she sees me stop the car and run out pick the items up and throw it into our recyclables? I made a point to drive by one house that is non-minority and say: "Hey, they ain't too neat either, could have came from them."

I wonder who the garbage was coming from? Even seeing who it came from... I try not to judge and lead by example. Maybe I am fool, I pick up their litter from blowing all over the hood. No exceptions.

There is a direct correlation (here in CA anyway) between economic status and litter.

it is a relief printing plate cast in a mold made from composed type or an original plate. Duh!!! :doh:

You googled it too? :lol:

Now you are making sense! Stop it! ;-P

My brother in law was @ a Chinese zoo and the locals there were throwing stuff @ the animals! Mocking them out, taunting... LoL... He was a appalled... Oh my. I guess that is what they do there.

Well then why don't your define it for me.

I'll let you google the same sites I did. My point is, the word stereotype still applies even if the majority of the people associated with it exhibit the stereotypical trait. Maybe you think it's a valid or useful stereotype. That's another discussion. But it's still a stereotype.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Now you are making sense! Stop it! ;-P

My brother in law was @ a Chinese zoo and the locals there were throwing stuff @ the animals! Mocking them out, taunting... LoL... He was a appalled... Oh my. I guess that is what they do there.

Not all behavior can be shrugged off as cultural differences.

A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

I know I googled it. I couldn't wait for you. :D

Come to Chinatown and you'll see that it's not just my opinion and it's far from oversimplified. Now to bring up Jauronimo's point again that's just the cultural difference and I understand that. We're all different and they don't even realize they're being rude. I'm not a fan at all of those behaviors so does that make me a racists?

I would guess most places. You are so right. Does that come with education? Or pride and ownership to what people's worlds are?

I don't know about education. I think it's more of a pride thing.