Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

You would think that because the bills are in the AFC East like the team he covers....he would make sure he is VERY versed in the bills....

I mean...lets face it....its not like miami is the patriots or anything

Agreed. When this is your profession, you would think these guys would know much more than they do about not only their own team, but opposing teams in their division. He clearly did not.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst part is going to be when Clay signs the Bills offer sheet, then we have to sweat it out to see if Miami will match. If they plan to, they will prob wait until the day just to delay the Bills from signing other TEs.

Either way, they will wait as long as they can. I would do the same thing. Silly to think otherwise.

I met Omar Kelly when he was in Buffalo for the Bills/Fish game. He is indeed their beat writer and travels with the team. He is highly respected by fish fans and very much in the know.

how did you meet him and we didn't?!!?

I don't think the Bills will submit an offer sheet at all. It sounds like a simple stare down to me. The Bills are in the power position for the following reasons:

1. The Dolphins have more pressing needs on their roster than us. They need to sign other free agents now, more than we have to, in general.

2. They just tied up another $7M in the TE position. Clay is now not as big a necessity, especially with the other roster needs and limited cap space.

3. Dolphins are afraid to sign other free agents right now because then the Bills are more likely to give them a poison pill they can't responsibly match. Meanwhile the Bills signed Harvin and have more flexibility than the Dolphins do because they are not as worried about their cap.

4. The Dolphins most likely cannot offer Clay a better long term deal than the Bills

That my friends are 4 power plays in our favor. The Dolphins are bluffing 100% and hoping the Bills back off or get antsy and sign other free agents thus lowering the offer sheet. The people saying the Dolphins have the power because they can match are missing the other main points. The Bills have the Dolphins backed in a corner with their hands tied. The Dolphins have several pressing needs that they cannot correct while this Clay standoff is going on, more than us. It's a matter of time before somebody in a high position gets some perspective and says "enough is enough", drop the tag and give it to them. I don't think the Bills plan on giving an offer sheet at all, they fully plan on Miami removing the tag.

The Bills understand their position and are quietly waiting for the Dolphins to fold. Since there is no upcoming deadline for the offer sheet, the Dolphins are stuck in the mud until it's resolved. Right now the Buffalo fanbase needs to show the same patience, faith, and confidence that the Bills management are showing. This is an inevitable checkmate.

The only way the Dolphins win this showdown is if:

1. The Bills get antsy and fold or submit an offer sheet too soon (unlikely)

2. Clay gets antsy and signs a long term deal with the Dolphins for less money (there is no indication of this happening)

3. Clay decides he doesn't want to go to Buffalo no matter what and takes the Transition Tag.

4. They drop the tag and Clay signs with a team other than the Bills.

5. Tannenbaum becomes extremely stubborn and in order to save face at his new job takes this staredown past the draft, into OTAs, and until the deadline.

Again, I think this is a bluff on both sides and no offer sheet will be submitted by the Bills at any time. The Dolphins will cave in order to improve the rest of their team before it's too late. Clay will then sign with us as a FA without a large first year salary cap hike.

Edited by musichunch

Given the Bills' now very precarious situation at TE, I'd seriously consider dropping pursuit of Clay to sign Jermaine Gresham. He is a competent NFL starting TE who had 62 catches last year and is a good blocker. I would rather get that done than gamble that they can get Clay after waiting Miami out for a week. Pursuing Clay could leave them completely empty handed and Gresham would be a solid signing (IMHO)

Edited by OldTimer1960

Given the Bills' now very precarious situation at TE, I'd seriously consider dropping pursuit of Clay to sign Jermaine Gresham. He is a competent NFL starting TE who had 62 catches last year and is a good blocker. I would rather get that done than gamble that they can get Clay after waiting Miami out for a week. Pursuing Clay could leave them completely empty handed and Gresham would be a solid signing (IMHO)

You know, I didn't consider this in my previous post. That is one place where Miami has leverage on us. Cutting Chandler was, in my opinion, an error from a bluffing point of view. Now the Dolphins might believe that the Bills, like some of their fans, will get antsy over not having a tight end on the roster. However, this doesn't change things THAT much. We can still get a 2nd tier TE in May or draft one in the 2nd round, or even make a trade.

All the Dolphins roster needs > The Bills need at TE

Again, we still have leverage. We need to trust that we'll win and not settle for average, Who knows if Gresham even wants to come here? The Bills might already have a deal with him in place in case we don't get Clay. We may even already have a trade verbally in place as a back-up scenario.

Edited by musichunch

If Miami could afford Clay and Cameron they would have a better team. The Bills want them to over pay

If they can't afford Clay , making the Bills better is not in their best interest. They would rather he go to another division, maybe Browns

If the Bills sign Clay, they want the Bills to over pay. Clay will make a lot more money then he is worth either way

The fact that Gresham has not signed and is still available says something. He's not that good and if you have noticed, the Bills are not looking for competent players. They are looking for something better.

If Miami could afford Clay and Cameron they would have a better team. The Bills want them to over pay

If they can't afford Clay , making the Bills better is not in their best interest. They would rather he go to another division, maybe Browns

If the Bills sign Clay, they want the Bills to over pay. Clay will make a lot more money then he is worth either way

Dolphins don't have much of a say where he plays.