Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

Since 2011:

Clay: 58 GP, 161 rec, 1,809 yds, 14 TDs

Chandler: 60 GP, 181 rec, 2,112 yds, 17 TDs

Have a great day.

Oh great point... Nice to include Clay's rookie year in there, which by the way was still better than Chandlers 1st year in the league. Let's compare apples to apples, shall we?

First 4 years in the NFL:

Chandler: 4 GP, 1 rec, 8 yds, 0 TDs

EDIT: Also you were the one that said he was unproven, are you trying to suggest Chandler isn't either? If so I'm not sure why you are posting Chandler's stats.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

page 30. new thread time Yolo? :lol: :lol:

i'm getting there considering we have the pottery scene from Ghost and claymation football at this point.

I'm still in the bushes out side of Terry and Kim's. Nothing to report.

Clay isn't there for an overnight in his PJs and slippers? Disappointed! Only Rex has gotten this treatment so far.

I hope it's not 8 million for a marginal increase in run blocking skills

Not even sure about the marginal increase as a blocker. He's a converted FB who was considered more of a receiving TE with below average blocking skills. He's 4" shorter and 10 lbs lighter than Chandler.

Not saying I don't want him, just reminding those who disliked Chandler so much, and think Clay is the 2nd coming, need to understand we're probably getting a wash at TE in this swap...if that.

Not even sure about the marginal increase as a blocker. He's a converted FB who was considered more of a receiving TE with below average blocking skills. He's 4" shorter and 10 lbs lighter than Chandler.

Not saying I don't want him, just reminding those who disliked Chandler so much, and think Clay is the 2nd coming, need to understand we're probably getting a wash at TE in this swap...if that.

Thought we were getting an unproven TE.

Height and weight have nothing to do with blocking ability. It's about having good technique and willingness to win.

By your logic, Erik Pears is 6'8 so I guess he's a better blocker than Eric Wood at 6'3

Edited by JM57

Here, just in case you missed it:

Oh great point... Nice to include Clay's rookie year in there, which by the way was still better than Chandlers 1st year in the league. Let's compare apples to apples, shall we?

EDIT: Also you were the one that said he was unproven, are you trying to suggest Chandler isn't either? If so I'm not sure why you are posting Chandler's stats.

Have you ever seen Clay play? The comparisons to Chandler are no longer funny. Just absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah. I am basically in the same camp as you. I don't know too much about clay's blocking but I will believe the reports that he is better at chandler in that regard. Chandler was a bad blocker, really bad. I just don't get the hype.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Have you ever seen Clay play? The comparisons to Chandler are no longer funny. Just absolutely ridiculous.

They are completely different players. People keep using stats to compare but that's like saying Kyle Orton threw for 400 against Denver so he is totally the same as Andrew Luck.

Since 2011:

Chandler: 60 GP, 181 rec, 2,112 yds, 17 TDs

Have a great day.

Clay is a much better fit in Roman's scheme than Chandler.

Yeah. I am basically in the same camp as you. I don't know too much about clay's blocking but I will believe the reports that he is better at chandler in that regard. Chandler was a bad blocker, really bad. I just don't get the hype.

He may blossom into a true star, or he may remain a 2nd tier TE at the Chandler level. Clay runs tougher than Chandler after the catch, but Chandler is a bigger target who can also stretch the field. People are excited by the new toy possibilities, which is great, but this swap would not appreciably change the quality of our offense IMO.

He may blossom into a true star, or he may remain a 2nd tier TE at the Chandler level. Clay runs tougher than Chandler after the catch, but Chandler is a bigger target who can also stretch the field. People are excited by the new toy possibilities, which is great, but this swap would not appreciably change the quality of our offense IMO.

Maybe not if it was Marrone's offense. If you have ever watched Roman's, he wants a complete TE who can run block and catch the ball, and present matchup issues. Chandler does only one of those things. He wasn't a fit for the new scheme. In that same vein, neither was Jordan Cameron.

Can't say I agree. Teams will have to account for McCoy, Harvin and Sammy on every down. In Miami Clay was the number one or two option. He'll be a lot better with us.

Maybe not if it was Marrone's offense. If you have ever watched Roman's, he wants a complete TE who can run block and catch the ball, and present matchup issues. Chandler does only one of those things. He wasn't a fit for the new scheme. In that same vein, neither was Jordan Cameron.

Contrary to the opinions of many on this board, Clay is not a very good blocker. I live in South Florida, and his blocking ability has always been the knock on his game. See below...

BLEACHER REPORT: Clay is not a reliable blocker, as he’s more of a fullback/tight end hybrid player. He finished 2013 with a run-blocking grade of -5.0, according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required). That grade left Clay as the 52nd-best blocking tight end in the league. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2286991-has-dion-sims-made-charles-clay-expendable-moving-forward
Edited by negativo

I don't know Wayne their stats say that they are similar players. I can't believe that Bills fans are so enamored with this converted fullback when they had a productive TE in Chandler. They let him go to the Patriots of all places so that he can haunt us twice a year!! (I'm working on my troll game)

Clay is not being signed for his blocking abilities. He is a very good receiver and the Bills envision a lineup of Sammy, Woods, Harvin, McCoy, and Clay....lots of speed and quickness on the field.

I don't know Wayne their stats say that they are similar players. I can't believe that Bills fans are so enamored with this converted fullback when they had a productive TE in Chandler. They let him go to the Patriots of all places so that he can haunt us twice a year!! (I'm working on my troll game)

Well done. little more practice and you're there