Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Bills ever sign Charles Clay?

• Yes
    • No
    • They will actually sign Clay Charles and he's a baller
    • Perhaps. I need to ask Pat Moran.
  2. 2. When will they sign him?

• 5 days from today
    • 5 days from tomorrow
    • When he is a FA again in 2019
    • NEVER. Big Sammy will start at TE and we will like it.
    • 5 days from "soon"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone posted on twitter that the Bills have until 4/24 to present the offer sheet. If true, and they are just waiting for the fish to be forced to sign other guys who will take up cap space as they have several other needs, they must be pretty confident that Clay isn't going to sign there long term.

Yolo I think you hit on the strategy. The Phins still have significant needs at WR, LB, OL that will eat into their cap. Waiting game is appropriate because they miss opportunities the longer they wait....Bills have less need positions--no harm to wait and Bills can also create cap room as needed because of Mario & Urbik. No harm in waiting.

Someone posted on twitter that the Bills have until 4/24 to present the offer sheet. If true, and they are just waiting for the fish to be forced to sign other guys who will take up cap space as they have several other needs, they must be pretty confident that Clay isn't going to sign there long term.

Good strategy. If the Clay situation is not holding up the pursuit of any other Bill FA targets, then there is no sense in rushing into anything. Get your target under the best possible circumstances (which could mean forcing the Dolphins to drop the tag that could make an even better deal). No one will care WHEN the Bills singed a player, or whether they got it done.

It has been rumored that they have indeed made a verbal offer, i.e. The agent knows the numbers. The offer sheet itself is more complicated because of the shifting cap space and fluid situation. It needs to be formulated in a precise way. It could be that the bills and Clay's agent are actually still negotiating terms.

I guess verbal offers are legally binding.

i don't know if that date is accurate. Just a random person who posted it. Maybe one of our resident experts knows...

what's stopping another team from swooping in earlier with a better offer. thats another 8 days! the people here will explode with frustration

beckheadexplode.gif or this one tumblr_ms49w4tarp1sv551qo1_500.gif

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

It's accurate:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/11/2015-nfl-free-agency-dates-and-deadlines/

Playing the 'who'll blink first' card works both ways, however, as the Bills still have OL and backups to sign...

I don't think waiting to offer Clay should impact their other signings. For example if they want an OL they can cut urbik/Williams and get cap space. They can get more space if needed on Mario's restructure. I don't sense Harvin's whole salary will hit the cap in 2015 though we don't know the #s yet. The cap is fluid. They are fine.

The date is correct RFAs have until 4/24 to sign an offer sheet.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/03/nfl_calendar_2015_key_dates_de.html

I guess verbal offers are legally binding.

what's stopping another team from swooping in earlier with a better offer. thats another 8 days! the people here will explode with frustration

or this one

Maybe I'm missing some joke, but isn't that one month and 8 days?

The fact I don't want to blow $9 million of cap space on Clay shouldn't cloud the fact I do agree he's more of an impact player than Chandler. Just not 9x better. Closer to 2x better. The price is skewed. What I love about the guy is he runs through tackles like a bowling ball thru pins, and fits the toughness profile Rex is trying to establish. Guess I'm still scarred from Pegula WAY overbuying on Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff in an effort to make a splash as new Sabres owner. Both busted, Leino fantastically so, and now we have the worst team in hockey two years running to show for it.

Maybe I'm missing some joke, but isn't that one month and 8 days?

or maybe - I am the joke - like an idiot read the date wrong. 4/24 not thinking today is 3/16

yet the point I meant stands ... waiting even another 8 days on a guy they want is pushing it with the risk of losing him to another team

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

The fact I don't want to blow $9 million of cap space on Clay shouldn't cloud the fact I do agree he's more of an impact player than Chandler. Just not 9x better. Closer to 2x better. The price is skewed. What I love about the guy is he runs through tackles like a bowling ball thru pins, and fits the toughness profile Rex is trying to establish. Guess I'm still scarred from Pegula WAY overbuying on Ville Leino and Christian Ehrhoff in an effort to make a splash as new Sabres owner. Both busted, Leino fantastically so, and now we have the worst team in hockey two years running to show for it.

You're definitely right that he's not 9x better.

Thing is, he wouldn't be getting 9x as much...Chandler was getting about $2.5M per year, so even if the number were $9M, it'd be about 3.7 times as much. Now, the number probably won't average $9M/year (IMO), so let's just say, for the sake of argument (and because the math works out nicely) that it's $7.5M.

That's 3x as much for a younger guy, whose production has been better in the last 2 years, trending upwards, better athlete, better fit for the offense, etc.

Now, is that totally worth the money? Perhaps not...IMO, that'll have to be shown down the road (assuming, of course, that he actually signs here).

Sucks for us as impatient fans, but if the Bills are indeed milking the clock to try and work it to their advantage I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Whaley and his team are paid to know how to work the system, so if that's the strategy I'm good. I'd obviously like to know the answer sooner, but I'm ultimately relieved if it is accurate that our side is dictating the timing and not being played by the Dolphins, Clay, or anyone else.

And either way, Whaley has a back-up plan. That's his job and it would be GM malpractice (assuming there is such a thing) for him not to have one.

Dolphins also love Sims. He's got size, can catch, block and give you a complete game at the position. Be a strong 1-2 punch for them. If Clay signs with us for more $$ than Cameron did with Miama I'll be really annoyed. Cameron was a real difference maker on a Cleveland team with ZERO offense.

you seem to be pretty hung up on how to spend other people's money.

I am over getting frustrated by waiting. It isn't like they have a game to play and Clay isn't there. I hope that they land him and it is on a team friendly deal regardless of how long it takes. Charles Clay could be a real difference maker on this team.

Don't care about his personal spending habits, do care about cap space value.

What is your concern with the cap? What are they foregoing in order to sign Clay?

Don't care about his personal spending habits, do care about cap space value.

then you need to inform yourself on front loaded contracts and stop worrying about what amount will be spent this year