[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clay is an upgrade at TE but it isn't like landing him fixes the TE void now and forever. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good they said...now is our time to push for success so whatever. I would be more excited over some additional OLmen touted to be truly solid.

I'm not excited by this potential signing. I don't think Clay is an upgrade over Chandler. They have similar stats, and Chandler is a slightly better blocker.

Watch the film, they are completely different players. If McCoy, Felton and Clay are in the backfield together defenses wont know who is blocking, who is running out of the backfield and who is receiving a hand-off. There is a lot of deception that can be done with this guy because he is so versatile.

We have 2 high points where his feet might not have left the ground

At 6'7" how high does he have to get to high point the ball? I also didn't see a DB contesting any of those high throws.

Look, I get it. Chandler's a traditional TE in a league that increasingly values hybrid HB/TEs with RB movement skills. There's room for both types and they increase game planning flexibility. Chandler's a good-not-great TE and should help us again this year...

Has there been any update on the situation as far as a contract offer or anything like that?

Supposedly he's visiting Buffalo, including looking for houses (which may be just for show), and expects an offer sheet tomorrow. Cleveland is also expected to make a serious push for him, and the 'Phins can always match.

Pretty sure that's all there is. I wouldn't expect anything new on this front until the weekend at the earliest.

I think it could help the Bills a lot to know the specific parameters of the Suh deal before signing Clay to the offer sheet. Plus stuff like the Fins bringing in Cameron could affect it. You're probably right that it may not be a deal breaker but it's surely possible. The Kyle extension today means the Bills wanted to add a couple mil more in cash this year.

when it comes down to it - the bills main thing will be year one money. if suh gets a cap hit of 12, or 14 or 16, i dont know that us doing 9 vs 10 will really make a BIG difference.

both sides know the game the bills have to play and i dont think a year 3 bump is of big concern.

At 6'7" how high does he have to get to high point the ball? I also didn't see a DB contesting any of those high throws.

Look, I get it. Chandler's a traditional TE in a league that increasingly values hybrid HB/TEs with RB movement skills. There's room for both types and they increase game planning flexibility. Chandler's a good-not-great TE and should help us again this year...

its almost like you deleted half my post, and then posted more or less the same point ive made about him several times as an argument against me. hes a decent piece, and ive been on record that i think hed be a good #2 for us for years now. he just isnt particularly physical, despite being huge, and he doesnt change direction well are the only 2 knocks ive given him in this thread.

I'm not excited by this potential signing. I don't think Clay is an upgrade over Chandler. They have similar stats, and Chandler is a slightly better blocker.

Go do more homework on Clay, watch more film of what the guy does and focus less on his stats. You'll see that everything you think you know about Clay is incorrect.