Fred Jackson cut??(UPDATE: Pegula says Hell To The No)

There's no chance any of this is what is happening. More than likely, Rex saw on film that Fred is in a full decline and after crunching numbers it was determined that he could be released without any dead cap penalty. 34 year old RBs havr a short lease even when they're beloved.

But Fred Jackson defies your sound logic!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

. More than likely, Rex saw on film that Fred is in a full decline

No question Freddie's production took a hit after he rushed back from his groin to help a depleted RB corps.

But if Rex watched his first seven games, he saw a guy averaging 4.3 ypc that looked a lot like the Action Jackson of the past few years. Also, if Fred was in such 'decline,' how come he got 86 carries after he returned (3.3 ypc) to 35 for Brown (3.5 ypc)?

Fred has always been written off. That's nothing new. It's the story of his life. But if given the chance not only would he have been the #2 guy on the team but I bet he would have had almost as many carries as everyone's new favorite RB. It happens every year. He shouldn't be able to, but the guy defies all things and has been the heart and soul of this team for the past almost decade.

This is terrible and I can understand why they would do it. If you look at this on paper then it makes sense. But you can't look at Fred on paper because nothing he has done should have been possible. This is where analytics fail. There's things inside a man that you can't measure: heart, desire, determination, passion, leadership, and the ability to make plays when there is no play to be had.

They are making a mistake if they release him. My hope is that someone gives him a chance, whether it's us or another team. A chance is the only thing Fred has ever needed in order to prove everyone wrong. I've been a Bills fan my whole life but I would openly root for Fred on whatever team he is on. He deserves better from us. He deserves a chance

Here here

No question Freddie's production took a hit after he rushed back from his groin to help a depleted RB corps.

But if Rex watched his first seven games, he saw a guy averaging 4.3 ypc that looked a lot like the Action Jackson of the past few years. Also, if Fred was in such 'decline,' how come he got 86 carries after he returned (3.3 ypc) to 35 for Brown (3.5 ypc)?

Fred freely admitted he's lost more than a step--- in preseason. He said he increased his leg/core strength to compensate for the speed loss, which was clearly observable early in the season.

I'm not saying I necessarily think Fred is done as an NFL RB, I'm just saying the film is clear that he's close to the end of the line. It would be understandable for any franchise to consider turning the page at this point.

It would be understandable for any franchise to consider turning the page at this point.

The question about Fred's future with the team should be answered at SJF. Not with an off-season "see ya" when he has no guaranteed money forthcoming to tie up the salary cap...

IMO, this is about Whaley trying to forcibly justify his bad trade for Bryce Brown, who flat out sucks. Seems a pattern for Whaley to keep beating the dead horse of his overreaches until we revolt. So, in keeping with this, OUR Freddy must be sacrificed to validate his quest. Well, let's see how this one plays out with fans and media for ya, Dougy boy.

Brown looked every bit the part running behind Eagles Oline. Murray had this breakout year last year after Cowboys beefed up the line.... now more than ever it's the line that matters

Fred is still productive and don't know why they want him gone? He has been injured but played well when in there plus lets not forget how horrible the line regressed under maroon, he is a great pass blocker/catcher and would be a good 3rd done back.

Rey Ryan is a bully! Wants his own guys.

The question about Fred's future with the team should be answered at SJF. Not with an off-season "see ya" when he has no guaranteed money forthcoming to tie up the salary cap...

Nothing new can be learned this summer that isn't already known. Plus, releasing him now gives him a better chance of continuing his career, FWIW.

My personal preference is to keep Fred, btw. But I'm biased.

I put these thoughts in the wrong thread but...

I would hate, hate, hate if Fred Jackson is released. If it were me I would keep him and his 2.7m contract.

That said, with Shady, Boobie and Bryce, is Fred worth 2.7m if we are trying to add a bunch of established veteran FA. Probably not.

The real question, and it's something I haven't the slightest idea of, is how much monetary value does having Fred Jackson on your team, in your locker room and on the sidelines give you. I don't think anyone in the world could put a number on it. It could be zero. It could be a million or two, I really have no idea.

If Fred is gone are we a weaker team on the field? With the amount of plays Shady is going to have this season, we're probably not much weaker. Will be a lesser team because of his leadership? In some ways, yes.

I think I would keep him. If his contract the difference between him and Bilal Powell I would surely keep him. If his contract is the difference between getting Beluga or Clay or Iupati (meaning we could afford 8m instead of 6 and couldn't get him without the Fred cut, I guess I would let him go. I'd try to find those 2m elsewhere though.

Fred has always been written off. That's nothing new. It's the story of his life. But if given the chance not only would he have been the #2 guy on the team but I bet he would have had almost as many carries as everyone's new favorite RB. It happens every year. He shouldn't be able to, but the guy defies all things and has been the heart and soul of this team for the past almost decade.

This is terrible and I can understand why they would do it. If you look at this on paper then it makes sense. But you can't look at Fred on paper because nothing he has done should have been possible. This is where analytics fail. There's things inside a man that you can't measure: heart, desire, determination, passion, leadership, and the ability to make plays when there is no play to be had.

They are making a mistake if they release him. My hope is that someone gives him a chance, whether it's us or another team. A chance is the only thing Fred has ever needed in order to prove everyone wrong. I've been a Bills fan my whole life but I would openly root for Fred on whatever team he is on. He deserves better from us. He deserves a chance

Great post.

4b798fa4dceccf52da3aa2c7b3a93b20.gif

All hearts showing.

The line ... especially guards most important to run game ... stunk last year. No way to evaluate anyones peformance running behind them

If Fred is cut and they sign bilal Powell to a 2+ mill a year contract I would lose 5% permanent respect for Whaley and Rex. Choosing to replace Fred with BILAL POWELL with similar salary would be heartbreaking to me. I'd still love both guys, no question, but there would always be "they cut Fred Jackson so they could sign Bilal Powell" floating above their heads. I realize Fred is on his last legs, but he has one year left on his deal and is our locker room leader. Playing limited snaps behind McCoy, he's the perfect backup. Bilal Powell is the perfect backup for me. Ehhhhhhh, I'm dreading this awful news, say it ain't so Doug!!!!

The line ... especially guards most important to run game ... stunk last year. No way to evaluate anyones peformance running behind them

True story. McCoy would've had under 1000 with that unit

I would be rather indifferent if Jackson gets cut. I personally believe he lost his usefulness 3 years ago or so. He has only posted one 1000 yard season his entire career due to injury and has been pushed to number 2 behind Lynch and Spiller. He is the oldest back in the league and its starting to show with injuries. He has played a full season 4 times in his career but the times where he missed games it was a significant amount of time like 6+ games.

I have never believed in the running back by committee approach. I don't think it works. If you look at a lot of the playoff teams this year you will see they had one dominate runner for the most part.

I think people have some kind of distorted viewpoint of Fred's history with the Bills because of the kind of guy he is, and the tremendous ambassador he is for the city and franchise. He's a true role model.

But, there were times when the Bills totally screwed him over. There were times when he was furious with the organization. It hasn't always been lovey dovey. In fact, the team has repeatedly looked him over. He also can get extremely pissed, because he's a great competitor. He is surely one of my all time favorite players. I hope they keep him. But it has been a tumultuous relationship between Fred and the Bills over the years, not a very amiable one. On the surface and how he acts with the press he is as classy as they come. And I don't in any way want to imply he is two faced. He's not.

IMO, the Bills totally !@#$ed him over two contracts ago. He was very resentful of it, rightfully so. But he always gave his all. He's been better to the team than they have been to him. Hopefully he will have a lifetime job with the organization, kind of the way Jerry Butler had a long time ambassador role. The Bills owe it to him.

I think most rumors are that they cut him to make space for powell and to save cap space. This doesnt make sense: by signing Powell, they lose any money saved by cutting him... No point in wasting perfectly good talent and a true team athlete to not save space and get a worse player. Powell isnt as good as an 80 year old Fred Action Jackson, let alone a 34 year old one

I put these thoughts in the wrong thread but...

I would hate, hate, hate if Fred Jackson is released. If it were me I would keep him and his 2.7m contract.

That said, with Shady, Boobie and Bryce, is Fred worth 2.7m if we are trying to add a bunch of established veteran FA. Probably not.

The real question, and it's something I haven't the slightest idea of, is how much monetary value does having Fred Jackson on your team, in your locker room and on the sidelines give you. I don't think anyone in the world could put a number on it. It could be zero. It could be a million or two, I really have no idea.

If Fred is gone are we a weaker team on the field? With the amount of plays Shady is going to have this season, we're probably not much weaker. Will be a lesser team because of his leadership? In some ways, yes.

I think I would keep him. If his contract the difference between him and Bilal Powell I would surely keep him. If his contract is the difference between getting Beluga or Clay or Iupati (meaning we could afford 8m instead of 6 and couldn't get him without the Fred cut, I guess I would let him go. I'd try to find those 2m elsewhere though.

Agree 100% with everything you said

I think people have some kind of distorted viewpoint of Fred's history with the Bills because of the kind of guy he is, and the tremendous ambassador he is for the city and franchise. He's a true role model.

But, there were times when the Bills totally screwed him over. There were times when he was furious with the organization. It hasn't always been lovey dovey. In fact, the team has repeatedly looked him over. He also can get extremely pissed, because he's a great competitor. He is surely one of my all time favorite players. I hope they keep him. But it has been a tumultuous relationship between Fred and the Bills over the years, not a very amiable one. On the surface and how he acts with the press he is as classy as they come. And I don't in any way want to imply he is two faced. He's not.

IMO, the Bills totally !@#$ed him over two contracts ago. He was very resentful of it, rightfully so. But he always gave his all. He's been better to the team than they have been to him. Hopefully he will have a lifetime job with the organization, kind of the way Jerry Butler had a long time ambassador role. The Bills owe it to him.

he has said publically more than once that he wants to play multiple more years. I found it interesting since last year he only signed for two, yet he said he wanted to play longer. I wonder if he's not expecting this and ready to move on to another team himself. I would hate to see it and would love for him to retire and coach here but he seems to want to keep playing.

Football is a game of inches gentlemen. That's all it is.

No player that I have had the pleasure to watch in a Bills uniform fought harder for those inches than Fred Jackson. If this is the end it is incredibly sad... if he had played with 52 team mates with as much heart we would not be 15 years without the playoffs. Good luck Freddie and the most heartfelt thank you.

love freddy, brutal business...

carries/fumbles last 3 seasons

fred - 462/6

bilal - 319/1

games played last 4 seasons

fred - 10,10,16,14

bilal - 2(rookie), 14,16,15

fred-34

bilal-26

special teams

fred - not anymore

bilal -yes