Fred Jackson cut??(UPDATE: Pegula says Hell To The No)

His replacement may be brown at less than 700k and that would put Fred in bryces healthy scratch role- would that be more appreciated? Honest question

What if McCoy blows up because he hates a play call? Who do trust more keeping him in line - Jackson or Brown?

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smells highly fishy to me.

He's on the last year of a contract with no guaranteed money for 2015. No need to do this now and in such a classless manner. Let him come to camp and compete. If he can't beat out Powell, then so be it. But I believe a fully-healed Freddie at $2.7 million has a lot to offer this team in 2015

What if McCoy blows up because he hates a play call? Who do trust more keeping him in line - Jackson or Brown?

Quite the hypothetical - is there a reason that McCoy is out of control and that a guy that's actually known him much longer is the worse option? Or Fred's better than anyone else on our 53 and coaching staff etc... In this role?

He's on the last year of a contract with no guaranteed money for 2015. No need to do this now and in such a classless manner. Let him come to camp and compete. If he can't beat out Powell, then so be it. But I believe a fully-healed Freddie at $2.7 million has a lot to offer this team in 2015

Agree 100%. It's like the news of EJ getting cut. Why not let them compete?

I know it's a business and that this day would eventually come but it's still very sad to me. I wanted Freddie to experience the thrill of the playoffs with us, as a Buffalo Bill. He's been the ultimate team player and has toiled proudly for this organization and community. He is an all-time fave.

What I want to know is whether the decision is performance related or money related?

Despite 34 years on the body, Freddie can still play but maybe for another year or so. Which begs the question of why did the Bills extend him for two years last year if they didn't think he can still perform at a high level?

Is the team going back to Freddie and asking to take a pay cut, or are they saying goodbye? I can see how he may be a tad expensive right now at nearly $3 million and he wouldn't get that in the open market. But he's a great option for the #3 RB for at least another year. I watched Powell last year, and he was the 3rd option with the Jets, behind Ivory and CJ. I don't think he's better than Freddie, just more economical.

I'll agree unless giving him a shot to get money before money dries up is the reason. I HATE that at QB but for Fred it might be a nice gift. Releasing him August 31 might end his career, this gives him every chance.

Quite the hypothetical - is there a reason that McCoy is out of control and that a guy that's actually known him much longer is the worse option? Or Fred's better than anyone else on our 53 and coaching staff etc... In this role?

Ryan seems like he lets players do what they want on the field. I think the Jets have had issues with players fighting on he field (sanchez and Holmes comes to mind).

Also, McCoy has been known to blow up. Leadership is so underrated, especially in football.

This team could blow up badly if things start off slow.

What I want to know is whether the decision is performance related or money related?

Despite 34 years on the body, Freddie can still play but maybe for another year or so. Which begs the question of why did the Bills extend him for two years last year if they didn't think he can still perform at a high level?

Is the team going back to Freddie and asking to take a pay cut, or are they saying goodbye? I can see how he may be a tad expensive right now at nearly $3 million and he wouldn't get that in the open market. But he's a great option for the #3 RB for at least another year. I watched Powell last year, and he was the 3rd option with the Jets, behind Ivory and CJ. I don't think he's better than Freddie, just more economical.

money......$2.7 cap hit...zero dead money if cut.

How is cutting a player in March a classless manner? Wouldn't it be worse to keep him around through camp only to cut him then leaving him without a team and waiting for an injury? Seriously come on

Cutting him now would give Fred plenty of time to find a new team before they make other signings.

Edited by Max997

Rex Ryan has nothing invested in FJ, like so many Bills fans do. This is Rex's team now. He's not here to keep players on the team just to make the fans happy. He is here to help build a winner. He apparently doesn't see FJ as part of that, and at Fred's age, I can understand that. I can easily see Eric Wood taking on a bigger leadership role on the offense if FJ is let go. I'm a huge Jackson fan, but I'm not gonna say this team is crazy if they let him go.

It's a tough spot when a LOVED player ages. Not sure myself there.

The steelers are going through it with Polamalu. They told him he could retire or they would need to cut him; they are moving on. I guess as a non steelers fan it was obvious to me they already had, on the field at least. I didn't see that with Fred. I felt like he was still a big part of the offense and when he was hurt, it made the offense less productive. But I guess a new staff sees otherwise from film.

Analytics has a tough time quantifying factors like leadership. I often think those things are overrated, but on an offense filled with young guys it's hard to argue that a guy like FJ isn't worth a roster spot and < $2m in cap space (his replacement won't be free).

Anything can be quantified (or at least approximated). If they have a player value model that doesn't have leadership parameters, that's just disappointing. Most out of the box employee perf review systems figured out metrics for that stuff, it's just that the cap dictates productivity as a priority, not locker room strength.

I hope we see him get one playoff game in a bills jersey, but understand why he might not get the chance.