SF FA guard Mike Iupati (update: going to Cardinals)

CJPearl2

ok - on WGR just now they said Iupati is 8m and Boling 4m. Just makes no sense based on the assessments I've read of both. Many who feel Boling is, at worst, just as good. I had a feeling it was just low balling what they think Boling will get. If he's a 6m guy that makes more sense.

$4M is wrong....just like they were wrong when they continuously said, throughout 2014, that Jerry Hughes would get Michael Bennett money (or so I'm told--I don't really listen to them).

I think Zane Beadles money makes sense for Boling, and Beadles got $6M per. At $4M per, he's taking less money per year than the Patriots* gave Marcus Cannon, a guy with 11 career starts (4 last year).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top FA guard available. He just made his third straight pro bowl. Pay him and fix a major problem.

I hope not. Iupati is a very good run blocker, but can struggle in pass blocking. Go find the next best guard and sign him. Take the savings between the two and help to sign hughes, another QB or a TE. We'd be far better off.

Big difference. Iupati may be best in league.

Um, no. Not even close. Iupati is the best in free agency this year and he's good, but he's far from the best OG in the league. Excellent run blocker, but average in pass pro. That actually fits well with what the Bills need, but he will be so overpaid due to the lack of talent at the position in free agency the Bills should pass. Also the thought of letting Hughes walk for Iupati is crazy. Good OGs can be found much easier than good pass rushers. The right move is to let some other team give him a stupid contract and find a decent option elsewhere.

I hope not. Iupati is a very good run blocker, but can struggle in pass blocking. Go find the next best guard and sign him. Take the savings between the two and help to sign hughes, another QB or a TE. We'd be far better off.

They might have to draft their OG in the 2nd or 3rd. It's Orlando Franklin and Iupati, then it goes down a big notch. Maybe a depth signing to cover their butts.....

I remember the same discussion back around Mario time. At the time, I was in the camp of instead paying one great guy all that money, you could get two "good" guys.

After seeing how Mario plays, I'm more inclined to bring Iupati in if I had to spend $9 million on a guard or guards.

$4M is wrong....just like they were wrong when they continuously said, throughout 2014, that Jerry Hughes would get Michael Bennett money (or so I'm told--I don't really listen to them).

I think Zane Beadles money makes sense for Boling, and Beadles got $6M per. At $4M per, he's taking less money per year than the Patriots* gave Marcus Cannon, a guy with 11 career starts (4 last year).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/guard/

Agreed. $4mil for guys like Boling, Blalock, etc is just waaaay low. I originally had that same number in mind, but when I looked at current contracts for decent OGs, they all started at $6mil/year and went up from there. Shoot, that's what Blalock was making on the Falcons before he was cut.

I remember the same discussion back around Mario time. At the time, I was in the camp of instead paying one great guy all that money, you could get two "good" guys.

After seeing how Mario plays, I'm more inclined to bring Iupati in if I had to spend $9 million on a guard or guards.

I completely understand your reasoning, especially when it comes to Mario vs other DEs. But the difference between Iupati and other OGs available is no where near the difference between Mario and the other guys. Boling and Blalock could be just as good imo, but much cheaper.

Well, that is where those depth guys -- draft picks and bargain bin guys -- come in.

What they really need is some coaching to restore the line. They seemed to block without purpose this season. That, plus premium talent, will win games and will shore up the situation in the inevitable event of injuries. It seemed like they were tinkering from day one, and that guys frequently didn't know their roles.

Glen's preseason injury last year really was a bad complement to bringing in so many new OL. Never really was able to get set before season started.

How do you build a bully, with Iupati or Boling?

I think that question answers itself.

I totally agree. We saw what happens just last season when you have a great defense and a crap offense. Well with Cassel or EJ, we know our passing game is limited and the run needs to carry us. I think if we're serious about challenging for the division we can't afford to just be good enough on the offensive front. It's not about filling holes on the depth chart when it comes to this position, this season. Without a very good quarterback we have no choice, we have to be able to dominate the point of attack for 60 minutes or we will lose games. Incognito, Wood and a (typical) mid-level FA is not a dominant interior. I know Lou Potty is a bully- if there's another one out there who is cheaper then great. But imo we gotta get one if we have the chance. Edited by Aaron

We have a lot of our own guys who need to be paid, but a Pro Bowl guard just might be helpful. I trust Whaley for these calls.

Really? Why?

http://www.billsdaily.com/gameday/index.shtml

Henderson B-: Steadily improved during the season and should be back as the starting right tackle next year.

Richardson F: Was way over his head when he played. Will get a chance at a roster spot but there is a good chance he doesn't make next year's roster.

Kouandjio F: A 2nd round pick who couldn't see the field with this line. Hopefully the new coach will figure out how to get the most out of him.

Williams D: Struggled before the back injury shut him down. Will be looked at to start next year at guard if healthy.

Not really in favor of bringing in a high salary at OG...Never have been...

Just can't see the logic in it so I'm hoping the Bills don't go this route...

The logic: to build a beast Oline that can run the ball down people's throat at will. Our QBs suck pretty bad. If we can't pound the ball, out offense will suck. We lose. If you don't agree with the logic, fine by me, but the logic has been evident since we signed Rex. Run the ball. Need blockers to run the ball. Iupati is among the best in the league as a run blocker

The Saints have 2 starting Gs with cap hits over 9 mil this season.

The Packers pay their starting Gs 6.8 and 5.8 each.

The Broncos pay Luis Vaszquez over 6.

The Eagles pay Evan Mathis 5.5

The Ravens pay Marshal Yanda close to 9.

Their cap numbers all rise into the high 6s to 8s, with Evans and Grubbs on the Saints both over 10.

Those are all widely viewed as teams smart with the cap.

Last year the Bills spent nearly $10 million on the combo of Urbik, Pears, and Williams. This year Urbik and Williams will cost us close to $7 unless we cut them after June 1, in which we'll save close to $5 mil.

Iupati is in the same class if not better than some of those Gs mentioned above. He was already making around $5 mil last year. Paying him 7 and Incognito 2 and drafting a G in Round 2 or 3, while cutting Urbik and Williams after June 1st is basically a wash money wise. I'd rather have the dominant player and a stop gap than pay 2 inferior guys basically the same amount of money.