Putting aside the players....cap space an issue now

DC Grid

Somewhat lost in these two semi mind-boggling moves is the fact that the Bills have now gone from $30M in cap space to a mere $16M or so and that's IF they don't give into Shady and Drew's contract demands which many think they will. Hard to see how the Bills have much hope at all of resigning Hughes, Searcy and still bring in the OL help they desperately need. Or being that much of a player in free agency at all. They went from being in the top 3rd of teams free money wise to the bottom 3rd and free agency is still 6 days away. Ugh.

The cap really will not be an issue. They can cut Urbik and Chris Williams and have 5-6m to spend on Blalock (not sure what he would cost but even if it's 8m that would be 2 with the cuts). Shady will likely be restructured. Mario can be restructured. Having Daddy Warbucks not care about cash allows our cap finagling to be substantially easier.

Somewhat lost in these two semi mind-boggling moves is the fact that the Bills have now gone from $30M in cap space to a mere $16M or so and that's IF they don't give into Shady and Drew's contract demands which many think they will. Hard to see how the Bills have much hope at all of resigning Hughes, Searcy and still bring in the OL help they desperately need. Or being that much of a player in free agency at all. They went from being in the top 3rd of teams free money wise to the bottom 3rd and free agency is still 6 days away. Ugh.

Give in to Shady and Drew's demands? You know he only has $1 million in guaranteed money left on his three year deal, Shady and Drew HAVE to renegotiate for the best interest of his client, they don't have the juice, the Bills do. And thankfully, that will get his cap number down even more than the numbers floating around now, and leave the Bills well positioned to retain Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn.

The cap is not an issue. People need to stop worrying about it. We're in great cap shape.

They have about $17.7m to work with, and that's after estimated rookie signings.

Our "only" areas of need are another OG, and a MLB. I think we're in good shape, to fill both holes with mid level talent, and to re-sign Hughes.... that's without making any cap cuts yet.

Restructure Mario = cap savings

New contract for McCoy = cap savings

Cutting more dead weight = cap savings

They have about $17.7m to work with, and that's after estimated rookie signings.

Our "only" areas of need are another OG, and a MLB. I think we're in good shape, to fill both holes with mid level talent, and to re-sign Hughes.... that's without making any cap cuts yet.

Tight End is a major need. MLB is not.

They can still sign Julius Thomas and a top G and have money left.

As others have mentioned, they aren't going to raise Shady's cap number in "giving in to Drew's demands", they'll give him more guaranteed money which can be spread out over the life of the contract and lower his number.

We're fine. There's a lot of things that can be done. At this point nothing will shock me, including landing Revis. We can do some cap gymnastics, sign Revis and still bring in a guy like Harris and another OG.

without any other moves $16M is still a lot of money to work with. plus like others have said........players will be released very soon to create more space.....nothing to worry about here.

Why haven't we discussed the cap implications yet?

I keep forgetting Brown is MLB, not Kiko/Spikes, whoops :o

That doesn't sound like an issue...

I just don't get the "cap space isn't and issue" crowd. Of course it's an issue. We need a OG, ROT and possibly a CB & LDE/LB. Then we have a significant core to sign next year. Is it undoable? No. But to shrug it off as not an issue is specious.

Why is it an issue? You people never explain it you just say it is for no reason...

That doesn't sound like an issue...

Why is it an issue? You people never explain it you just say it is for no reason...

Maybe read the post. We have lots of needs and people to sign - like Dareus - soon. Explain to me why there's no concern here?

Maybe read the post. We have lots of needs and people to sign - like Dareus - soon. Explain to me why there's no concern here?

B.c there is no concern... Contract restructures, drafted players and FA. Get it? You can't just name positions and think every one will be filled with expensive players that is just ridiculous... Edited by Beef Jerky

I'm right there with you bro ! I hope McCoy says NO & backs out that could be the best for the Bills .

He's really good but if he only gives half the effort so he can be traded what's the sense ?

We need players that want to be here . Plus with the CJ thing what does that tell Dareus & Gilmore as far as Whaley saying he want s to keep his good players ???

Sure didn't seem like that from where i'm standing !!

You said it. I hope we get a top TE talent now. Will complement the running game and averageish QB play very well.

$17 Mil after Cassel and Shady McCoy w/o any restructuring INO still leaves the Bills in pretty decent shape.

SEE

Salary Cap Thread

pinned at the top of the page

This year but what about the Dareus & Gilmore contracts next year ? Dareus will be looking for comparable money to what Suh will get this year !!

Not even putting Gilmores price tag in there ! WHOOPS forgot about that ...

Edited by T master

restructuring McCoy lowers his annual hit. Same with other players. Dareus will be resigned. If not, perhaps move him at the trade deadline for a couple picks and a decent DL. The Bills have proven they are not playing around. They make an offer to CJ, he says no, they solve RB issue.

This year but what about the Dareus & Gilmore contracts next year ? Dareus will be looking for comparable money to what Suh will get this year !!

I see your concern, but I think it will be okay. Dareus will look for Suh money, but will not find it. Gilmore may be overpaid in any event and leave. We can replace him.

Somebody said something about having an issue. I still don't see one.

Thank you for the reality check :)

I just don't get the "cap space isn't and issue" crowd. Of course it's an issue. We need a OG, ROT and possibly a CB & LDE/LB. Then we have a significant core to sign next year. Is it undoable? No. But to shrug it off as not an issue is specious.

It's not an issue because no one knows Shady's actual cap number yet. So freaking out about an imagined number, when Shady is going to have to restructure (allowing the Bills to fit him into their long term cap plans) is foolish. Mario will restructure next year most likely as well, freeing up more cash to resign Dareus (who they will resign) and Gilmore (who they will resign).

It's not an issue... because it's not an issue.

18m is a TON of cap space. only on this board is 18m a concern or issue.

:beer: Thank you.

I'm right there with you bro ! I hope McCoy says NO & backs out that could be the best for the Bills .

He's really good but if he only gives half the effort so he can be traded what's the sense ?

We need players that want to be here . Plus with the CJ thing what does that tell Dareus & Gilmore as far as Whaley saying he want s to keep his good players ???

I think it tells Dareus and Gilmore that Whaley didn't value CJ as much as he values them. You're reaching. Shady will play. He will be motivated. The Bills will still have enough money and flexibility to resign their own starts (Dareus and Gilmore, probably Glenn) when they're up. They also need to resign Bradham and eventually Brown -- which is why Kiko was expendable. They weren't going to pay all three of their LBs top dollar. They were only going to pay one, maybe two.

Edited by GreggyT

and the cap jumped 10m this year and is expecting to go up even more than that next year.... and thats ignoring anything like structure of deals.

B.c there is no concern... Contract restructures, drafted players and FA. Get it? You can't just name positions and think every one will be filled with expensive players that is just ridiculous...

You're right. Great math. You should be in government. Again, is all of this insurmountable? No. Is it a concern. Yes.

Putting aside the players? How the hell do you think that the players acquired can simply be ignored? They got a top-5 running back in the NFL. They got a veteran quarterback to compete with EJ Manuel, and a nasty starting guard in Incognito. ALL were positions of need. There isn't a ton left at this point. They could still improve on the offensive line and could finally get a tight end better than Scott Chandler, but neither of those are desperate situations. If McCoy doesn't get a contract extension, he'll get paid $9.75 million this year. That's what is eroding some of that cap. That figure will likely go down with a new contract, giving him more guaranteed money. That's an almost certainty. Kiko doesn't need replacing. They had a top-3 defense in the NFL without Kiko last year. At this point, the Bills can almost address their remaining issues in the draft. OK, almost.

I read that if McCoy says no, he loses $3 1/2M of his signing bonus

You're right. Great math. You should be in government. Again, is all of this insurmountable? No. Is it a concern. Yes.

please outline the numbers that you see that make you concerned - not names and positions. if you come up with reasonable contracts, and realistic projections of the cap that dont line up - then be concerned.

Dareus cap number is already around 8. Maybe it doubles. Won't be a problem. Guaranteed money was always the worry. It won't be with Pegula as owner.

It tells them "produce and get paid." CJ has 1 good year in the NFL and was 3 years ago.

Plus with the CJ thing what does that tell Dareus & Gilmore as far as Whaley saying he want s to keep his good players ???

It tells them that CJ is not nearly as good a player as they are. Unlike CJ, dareus and Gilmore have numbers that make up the claim that they are great players when healthy.

Dareus 8 million is already counted against our cap this year. Take it off the cap next year when he is a free agent and we have another 8 million to work with in signing him. Although I would prefer to sign him long term before all that drama.

Dareus 8 million is already counted against our cap this year. Take it off the cap next year when he is a free agent and we have another 8 million to work with in signing him. Although I would prefer to sign him long term before all that drama.

and truly, even if he takes home 20m in his first year, he may only count 8-10m against the cap, with some ballooning towards the back (post mario). so he could be nearly flat in the short term.

couple that with a cap skyrocketing and it gets a whole lot less scary:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

Edited by NoSaint

In the past everyone would scream "Ralph is cheap! Cash to the cap!". Now we actually USE some of cap space and we're still doing it wrong?

Pegula Is Extravagant!

This is a good point, and bodes well for how the remaining 17 million may be used. Is that enough cap room for Manning?