Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm dead serious, would thrown in a smiley or 2 had I been sarcastic. God knows I can be wrong but those are my honest feelings about this trade even after letting it sink for all this time. As much as I like Bradham as a hard hitter, he's no Alonso. Same goes for Powell. Alonso is something special, dude is everywhere. Sure McCoy is too, so it comes down to whichever is harder to find, in my book that'd be Alonso.

Which part? His 2.3 average behind an injured line?

whaley may have a LB he really likes in the draft. Rex decided Kiko was expendable based on his scheme. They got a great player for a struggling offense in return. I disagree it's harder to find a LB in the draft than a great RB. Whaley replaced Kiko with a 3rd rd pick last year.

This trade worries me,

first of all we're getting a player that is vocal about not wanting to come,

secondly that player only has about 2-3 years left in the tank,

thirdly the player that we're trading away wants to be here

fourthly the player we're getting performed like garbage behind a bad line

fifthly runningbacks can be gotten cheap in the draft nowadays, last couple of drafts they didnt start coming off untill 3rd and 4th round

sixthly we'd better be getting a first rounder back with those undisclosed picks

seventhly we've been trying to get pro bowl talent level LB's for years now and when we finally get one we let him go after one season played.

Other thoughts, pro bowl versus pro bowl potential is a wash imho. Once Rex is gone (2-3 years) we'll be regretting this trade badly. Why in the world do we trade away which is arguably one of our best players. I'm struggling to see anything positive coming out of this trade; sure he's a FredEx replacement that is needed but given how well a RB can perform coming out of the draft and Fred having one more year in him that should be ample time to get the WR skills of a draftee up to speed come season 2. LB's take time to develop, having one that performs so well straight out of the draft is rather rare and a show of huge further potential. I know the media and eagles fans are portraying McCoy as the better player but I think that time will proof it to be the other way around. Then the Hughes trade aside, we always seem to get the short end of the straw in these type of deals.

First, we're getting a player who has been directly quoted saying [........] <-- nothing. We've had quotes from someone who talked to "A source close to McCoy", which is clearly very robust and reliable as a means to get at how someone really feels because it works so well for girls in Middle School

Second some running backs last into their 30s, even if he declines the infamous "running back curve" would say we likely have 4 years of league-leading numbers left, and we're clearly trying to build a team that can win NOW with a mediocre QB.

Thirdly there have been just as good (read: thirdhand unreliable) sources claiming Kiko wanted out. I don't believe them any more than the McCoy sources.

Fourthly your definition of "Garbage" was 4th in the league for YPG, 3rd in the league for yards, and a very respectable 4.2 ypc behind a garbage line last year.

Fifth while RB can be gotten "cheap" in the draft, proven league-leading players who can both run, catch, and block are a different matter. Put up a table showing how many RB drafted in any round go there, eh?

Sixth what? What? Getting a first rounder back? Undisclosed picks? Are you mixing up trades and talking about the Cassel trade? A fifth and next years 7th for a 6th and Cassel good luck getting a 1st rounder for that.

Look, Kiko is a very promising player, no question, but he's also coming off ACL surgery, already tore his other ACL a few years back, the D was top-5 without him - the tea leaves say he can be spared. If I trust Whaley's talent evaluation and judgement at any position, that would be linebacker.

can the resident capologists tell us what that does for our cap space?

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7s7 seconds ago

LeSean MCoy gets $16m in 2015 from Bills.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 45s45 seconds ago

LeSean McCoy and Bills have agreed on a $16M first year total with $26.5M total guaranteed and $40M over 5 years, per @RosenhausSports

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7s7 seconds ago

LeSean MCoy gets $16m in 2015 from Bills.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 45s45 seconds ago

LeSean McCoy and Bills have agreed on a $16M first year total with $26.5M total guaranteed and $40M over 5 years, per @RosenhausSports

But that 16m if done as 4m salary and 12m bonus will be a 6.5m cap hit, for reference and the deal keeps him at the 8m average..... Not terrible (those numbers made up as an example of how they could do more cash but lower the hit)

@MikeGarafolo: Of that $16m in the first year for LeSean McCoy, $13m comes as a monster signing bonus. Total value of the deal: $40m over 5 years.

@Jason_OTC: Looks like McCoys first year salary cap number will be $5.6 million (using numbers from @MikeGarafolo ) #Bills

Calm down, armchair capologists

@MikeGarafolo: Of that $16m in the first year for LeSean McCoy, $13m comes as a monster signing bonus. Total value of the deal: $40m over 5 years.

@Jason_OTC: Looks like McCoys first year salary cap number will be $5.6 million (using numbers from @MikeGarafolo ) #Bills

Calm down, armchair capologists

Awesome!

Here is what I saw on another site.

5.5 in 2015

7.675 in 2016

8.875 in 2017

8.95 in 2018

9.05 in 2019

Not sure about accuracy but the numbers work. Will be interesting to see what is guaranteed in 18 and 19.