Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

I thought Chip didn't need to pay a RB in his genius system

@AdamSchefter: Barring a breakdown in talks, Frank Gore expected to sign 3-year deal in which $7.5 million in first two years are guaranteed.

If it's 3 years 15m that's a pretty good gap andhe picked up a good young player too. It's ok if things work out for everyone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gore and kiko, and if the 5m numbers in the ballpark 10m in cap space so another contributor too (or upgrade)... I don't think either side will be terribly upset unless injury bugs bite and you just can't predict it

As we discussed at some point in this huge thread, this was the move I would have made.

I guess I am a "RB's are a dime a dozen" person. And if you adhere to that theory, landing Kiko and picking up a stop-gap like Gore for $7.5 m guaranteed is a great deal. The Eagles get cap room, and they will probably draft a mid-round RB to hedge against Gore (or maybe they keep Polk to do that).

To me, that's a smarter allocation of resources than throwing big bucks at McCoy.

As we discussed at some point in this huge thread, this was the move I would have made.

I guess I am a "RB's are a dime a dozen" person. And if you adhere to that theory, landing Kiko and picking up a stop-gap like Gore for $7.5 m guaranteed is a great deal. The Eagles get cap room, and they will probably draft a mid-round RB to hedge against Gore (or maybe they keep Polk to do that).

To me, that's a smarter allocation of resources than throwing big bucks at McCoy.

Good arguments for each, and risks for each. If McCoy gets 4500 rushing yards the next 3 years and tacks on 1000 receiving - it's hard to argue against him but if he ends up with a nagging injury or two it could get ugly quick. Eagles having 3 people to fill the same resources hedges a little, no doubt.

I think I'm comfortable with either end on this one.

However, LB's are the equivalent on defense of "dime a dozen" RBs on offense...

Agree.

Agree.

The problem with this strategy is the simple fact that the Bills want win right now. Pagula and Ryan have clearly stated that this team must make the playoffs this season... it's all that matters to this organization.

Since this team is without a legitimate QB that can carry them to the playoffs, they will be relying on their elite defense to win them games.

On offense, this means you better have a very good RB to be able to utilize Rex's ground and pound approach.

Frank Gore is not good enough for that all important role. He is too old & past his prime. RB is going to be this offense's most important player so Whaley went out & got the best RB in the NFL over the past 5 years in McCoy.

Yes, there are plenty of examples of finding serviceable RBs in the 2nd-4th rounds but that is not guaranteed. This organization simply doesn't have the time to wait around for a 3rd round RB "to find his groove" in the NFL- if that ever even happens.

LeSean McCoy is a sure thing. He has proven he can handle a heavy workload with back to back 300+ carry seasons in which he started every single game & put up nearly 3000 yards & 14 TDs During those 3oo carry seasons

@SportsCenter: Eagles will have tough time replacing LeSean McCoy & Jeremy Maclin. The two combined for 2,792 total yards in 2014, 42% of Philly's offense.

Chip Kelly and his ego getting in the way of keeping stars

The problem with this strategy is the simple fact that the Bills want win right now. Pagula and Ryan have clearly stated that this team must make the playoffs this season... it's all that matters to this organization.

Since this team is without a legitimate QB that can carry them to the playoffs, they will be relying on their elite defense to win them games.

On offense, this means you better have a very good RB to be able to utilize Rex's ground and pound approach.

Frank Gore is not good enough for that all important role. He is too old & past his prime. RB is going to be this offense's most important player so Whaley went out & got the best RB in the NFL over the past 5 years in McCoy.

Yes, there are plenty of examples of finding serviceable RBs in the 2nd-4th rounds but that is not guaranteed. This organization simply doesn't have the time to wait around for a 3rd round RB "to find his groove" in the NFL- if that ever even happens.

LeSean McCoy is a sure thing. He has proven he can handle a heavy workload with back to back 300+ carry seasons in which he started every single game & put up nearly 3000 yards & 14 TDs During those 3oo carry seasons

You could say the same thing about the Eagles.

It's gore and kiko, and if the 5m numbers in the ballpark 10m in cap space so another contributor too (or upgrade)... I don't think either side will be terribly upset unless injury bugs bite and you just can't predict it

Don't forget the $3.4M of dead cap hit the Eagles have due to the McCoy trade.