Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

Welcome to Buffalo Mr. McCoy. Good luck in Philly Mr. Alonso. Only one back had more yards from week 5-17 last year than McCoy...Murray in Dallas. Led the league in rushing 2 years ago. Legit home run threat every time he touches the ball. Defense top 4 last year without Kiko. Emergence of Braham and Brown along with possible signing of Harris from NYJ to help teach the D made Kiko expendable. Good trade both ways. Whaley showing he leaves no stone unturned and has the balls to do what he thinks is right. Can't wait till the start of the season and beyond. Let's Go Bills!!!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's certainly my view a lot of NFL backs are capable of running well behind that line. As luck would have it, we have a good comparison with Bryce Brown. In Buffalo he didnt look anything like the back he was in Philly

We agree that good OLines make it possible for even average backs to look good.

We will never agree that just any RB has the kind of ability that McCoy has. In reading your posts over various threads for a while now, I get the impression you really don't have much of an appreciation for the varying talent levels that separate the good ones from the great ones. It's really not worth discussing. If every paint by numbers is a Rembrandt, there's no point.

GO BILLS!!!

Chip Kelly wanted McCoy gone. Not his type of player (McCoy is a head strong man) and replaced him with one of his players from college. Kiko wanting out of Buffalo is pure speculation. McCoy might not play a down for the Bills. His reaction was not a good one, ESPN reports he said he is not going to make this easy. It looks good now but Buffalo might have gotten itself a very talented RB but he also can develop into s locker room cancer.

Watch how a restructuring that turns more of his contract into upfront signing bonus has an impact on his attitude. He's not the first player in a sport to be shocked at being traded. Lets see how he feels after meeting with Rex, Roman, etc. Bottom line is, if he wants to get paid, he has no choice but to report.

GO BILLS!!!

Looking at his highlights is for the most part really looking at highlights for an offensive line. Look how the guards are opening holes in the middle and creating wide running lanes, tackles are controlling the ends allowing backs to get outside, and they're getting out to the second level for screens. The difference from our line is night and day. Our backs would have been a heck of a lot better running behind that Philly line

Shocking exactly no one, your analysis is completely flawed. The "night and day" difference couldn't possibly have at least something to do with the fact you're basing your analysis on a highlight tape, could it? Highlight tapes by their nature highlight the times the offense (in this case) does well. Naah. That's not worth including in your analysis because you're just trolling along with your "I hate anything Buffalo does" crusade. Doesn't it ever get boring? You had your Schwartz = Wanny with better players bone, then your Watkins = Ty Law bone, now your new bone is really going to be Shady McCoy is the product of his offensive line (based on a highlight tape).

:death:

We agree that good OLines make it possible for even average backs to look good.

We will never agree that just any RB has the kind of ability that McCoy has. In reading your posts over various threads for a while now, I get the impression you really don't have much of an appreciation for the varying talent levels that separate the good ones from the great ones. It's really not worth discussing. If every paint by numbers is a Rembrandt, there's no point.

GO BILLS!!!

Watch how a restructuring that turns more of his contract into upfront signing bonus has an impact on his attitude. He's not the first player in a sport to be shocked at being traded. Lets see how he feels after meeting with Rex, Roman, etc. Bottom line is, if he wants to get paid, he has no choice but to report.

GO BILLS!!!

Yup.

This is simply not true.

Well kiko has had 2 abd i know plenty of people who play a sport whether it be basketball football or whatever and the knee trouble never goes away completely. I have had a traumatic knee injury similar to lattimore and it ended my basketball days so maybe not more than likely but you are never going to be 100% again. That's for certain

You don't know that at all. This could easily have been Whaley fielding a call from Kelly (I would almost bet it was), liking the idea because Kiko may not have a role in this defense, and then bringing it to Roman and Rex and them saying hell yeah.

I don't understand rhe point about Kiko being the best pick. Is he talking that year? I still think cordy is the best pick per slotting. Kiko had a lights out half of a rookie season then he hit the wall. Also Whaley isnt in charge because perception dictates that he didn't spearhead this trade. Where does that perception even come from.

As you said. I highly suspect that Jerry Hughes will resign by Friday abd Mario said he was moving back to lb in 34 situations so where does kiko fit exactly

Look for the Bills to sign Shady's old guard Todd Herrmans. Older but durable and still good. Will be a nice addition

Was thinking the same thing

Looking at his highlights is for the most part really looking at highlights for an offensive line. Look how the guards are opening holes in the middle and creating wide running lanes, tackles are controlling the ends allowing backs to get outside, and they're getting out to the second level for screens. The difference from our line is night and day. Our backs would have been a heck of a lot better running behind that Philly line

I dont suppose it would do any good to point out that

a. Phili might actually run a running game system that actually works (unlike Hackett) that is creative and actually creates running lanes

and

b. Greg Roman (you know the the NFC Playoff/Championship OC we hired) might actually be able to create those same lanes.....especially if the OL is improved.

I’m confused by both the “we’re giving up a stud for an old guy” posters and the “Eh, Kiko was nothing special group.”

I think the truth, as always, lies in neither extreme…

First, let’s face it, Kiko is not just a guy who had like 5 good games then his play trailed off and now he’s got a bum knee, no loss.

Kiko is a very good, instinctive young player. Did his play trail off his rookie year? Yes, but it happens to most rookies, especially

when they’re playing almost every snap (you know, that proverbial rookie wall). Did he at times get blown up or over pursue? Yes,

but again that happens to most rookies too. In the NFL, it takes time to learn all of the nuances. But his rookie season sure showed

a lot of promise. If he stays healthy, he’s going to be a very good player in this league and maybe, if he keeps progressing and is used

properly, great. I’ll miss the “Legend.”

But, let’s also face the fact that McCoy is a bonafide, legit, real deal top RB. Are he and CJ similar RBs? Sure. They’re both small, super fast,

and can hit the homerun. But the difference is (it seems to me) you have to design for CJ and the play has to really open up for him and then he

can have a huge play. Whereas McCoy can create for himself. His football IQ and vision/instincts are better. He's niftier. McCoy reminds me of Thurman,

in these aspects: he knows how to properly follow his blockers; he’s great in traffic, even up the middle (he won’t just plow into the pile); and also in his

body control…for those worried about his mileage, watch his highlights on youtube…just like Thurman, he never takes the big hits…it’s like he sidesteps,

or slips off of tackles. 26/27 is not over the hill for a great RB who doesn’t take a lot of big hits. Plus, we still have Fred, Boobie, and Bryce (even if we don’t

draft a RB)…so he can be the main back, but we don’t have to overwork him. We can keep his carries (and therefore Fred’s) to a reasonable level to keep

them both fresh.

Honestly, this is a win-win trade.

Philly dumps McCoy (a RB that apparently didn’t fit Kelly or his system) relieving them of his huge contract/cap hit and get a player that Chip loves who has the

potential to be great. And let’s face it, Philly is not trading for him if they are concerned about his knee.

And the Bills get a huge upgrade to their RB position for a team that had poor production from that position a year ago and with coaches that want to run the damn ball

(due to ? at QB and coaching philosophy). In exchange for Kiko who may not be a perfect fit in Rex’s system, in a position that has some depth (even before FA).

Plus, it won’t be long before we’d have to pay big for Kiko. Sure, it would have been great to keep him and he’s too good not to see the field, but if he isn’t the mold

Rex wants for his linebackers, then we weren’t going to commit big money to him in the near future with everyone else we’ll have to pay. And even if we only got two more

years of top play out of McCoy, if they’re two playoff years isn’t that worth it?

Everybody wins, even Kiko and Shady. They both go to teams that really want them, with coaches that plan to play them the way the player wants to be played.

So, the only question to ask (without emotion, because we all loved Kiko as a player) is are the Bills a better team? Well, I don’t expect the defense to dip not having

Kiko (since he didn’t play last year and we got Rex), but I do expect the run game to improve immensely with McCoy. So, I think the answer is yes. Good Trade!

Good luck Kiko! Welcome LeSean!

Go Bills!

the point I rebutted was that Kiko was "not good enough" to play MLB; I stand by my proposed correction that it was a matter of him not being big enough to play the Mike. Why do you think the Bills plan was to move him outside before he tore his ACL ?

and Philly plans on playing him inside with 3-4

What is this organization's fascination with RBs? They give up the farm last year for a WR, they give up a huge chip for a RB, AGAIN, this year....and we still have no QB. RB doesn't matter, WR doesn't matter, QB is the only thing that matters.

They all matter

My take on the trade:

- The Bills will/should get at least 2 good years from McCoy, maybe 3.

- Alonso was only going to be a Bill possibly for 2 more years, IMO.

I like Alonso but I understand why the trade was done. The Bills defense is stacked. Without Alonso last year they were actually better. I think the Bills will end up signing Jerry Hughes and definitely look to sign Dareus and Gilmore. If all 3 are signed there is no way Alonso, if he played up to his star potential, was going to be a Bill in 2 years. There just isn't enough money to go around. It could have also gone the other way as well if the Bills decided to keep Alonso. Alonso returns and isn't what he was as a rookie, the Bills lose out on picking up a top 3 RB.

For all the posters who are screaming that RB's are dime a dozen, that may be true if the Bills had a good OL. They don't. I think with good OL's, RB's can be "dime a dozen". Now look at the other side of the ball, the Bills have one of the best DL is the NFL, you could argue in that LB's are "dime a dozen" because of how good the DL is. The Bills have an abundance of LB's at the moment who look good, they don't have any the same situation at RB, it makes sense to get something for them, while you can. Add to that Alonso has a pretty significant injury history and in my mind this trade make sense.

EDIT: It also looks like Whaley is fairly good at drafting LB talent (Alonso, Brown), so maybe he isn't concerned about losing Alonso.

Edited by Wayne Cubed