Free Agency Countdown - What Will Whaley Do?

111 members have voted

1. 1. FA - What will Whaley Do?

• Cannonball off the Dock, Big Splash- sign 2 or more "name" players (Revis JPP, Iupati etc)
    • Workmanlike dive - 2 or more known, "servicable" players at positions of need (Locker, Hoyer, Hill etc)
    • Hop into the Kiddy Puddle - sign one or more players we've never heard of
    • Splashless Option - Get a Good Night Sleep a la Buddy Nix, No News is Good News

Free agency approaches - only 10 more days

Predict what you think the Bills will do

Will it be a big splash, with signings of name free agents? A big splash has been predicted. Revis? JPP?

Will it be a workmanlike entry, with careful signings of key players at positions of need such as QB, guard, DE?

Will it be a hop into the kiddy pool, with a handful of signings of no one you've ever heard of, who might be great or might be 'meh'?

Or will it be crickets?

Free agency approaches - only 10 more days

Predict what you think the Bills will do

Will it be a big splash, with signings of name free agents? A big splash has been predicted. Revis? JPP?

Will it be a workmanlike entry, with careful signings of key players at positions of need such as QB, guard, DE?

Will it be a hop into the kiddy pool, with a handful of signings of no one you've ever heard of, who might be great or might be 'meh'?

Or will it be crickets?

I'm saying 1 big splash (Iaputi or Revis) and a few mid tier guys, and resign Hughes

I think Spiller and Searcy are gone and they re-sign Hughes. The only big splash I'd like to see is Iupati. Medium splash maybe Clay (TE). The rest will be be value signings, maybe another guard if they don't land Iupati. I don't see them getting into a bidding war for Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron based on their injury history. Virgil Green from Denver would be a value pick TE I'm curious about too. Of course they are adding a QB, probably two.

He needs to sign/trade for Matt Moore, Locker or Cousins and grab one big time player (Revis or Iupati) and a few value signings at TE (Clay) on DL and OL. That's after re-signing Hughes. Draft a RB and a QB and call it an off-season success. Tall order, but doable.

I think the Bills go all out in upgrading the offensive line, as well as add to the RB and TE positions. I think at least one or two of the signings will be from the pool of "upper tier" players. I believe the philosophy of the new regime will be similar to what we see with Seattle - even more so given the uncertainty of the QB position. That means going all out to ensure quality offensive line play and a strong running game.

I don't consider Iupati a big splash signing...

Former all-pro/Probowl guard at a position of weakness? OK... name your splash then, what do you think and who do you want.

It better be a big splash. We have a team that can win now. No more Kyle Orton and Chris Williams type signings. Time to go all in

So what does "all in" look like to you?

Former all-pro/Probowl guard at a position of weakness? OK... name your splash then, what do you think and who do you want.

Yes a position of weakness it shouldn't be a big splash to grab a position of absolute need... Big splash is a flashy Revis that the Bills don't really need but would make the team better. Edited by Beef Jerky

Yes a position of weakness it shouldn't be a big splash to grab a position of absolute need... Big splash is a flashy Revis that the Bills don't really need but would make the team better.

imo that's Hughes. We don't technically "need" him because pass rush isn't an area of weakness but he absolutely makes the team better.

Sign a top OL guy and get a QB at all costs. Then if any big name guys become available (Revis, AP) go after them hard. Spend to the cap max on short term deals for these stars. If Revis wants 20 mil a year then oh well sign him up for the next 2 yrs. Win now mode

I think he signs Hughes and goes after Revis if he's available. I also think he attempts to trade for Cousins, signs an upper tier guard, mid tier TE and takes a look at some of the WR and RBs that are available. I could see as many as 3-5 signings/aquisitions on offense and 1-3 on defense.

I can see Whaley

#1- LG sign 1 of these 3 players Boiling, Carpenter or Evans if he gets cut.

#2- Going After TE Jordan Cameron and if he doesn't sign with us adding either one of these 3 players Gresham, Kendricks or Green.

#3- signing veteran Rb either Mark Ingram or Ray Rice for cheap.

#4- Resign Hughes and add MLB David Harris & Safety L Landry.

#-5 Trying to trade for Starting QB Bradford or Foles but settle for Signing Matt Moore.

I can see the Bills making at least half these moves in free agency. I'm not saying all of this in first day but maybe first week or two.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

Yes a position of weakness it shouldn't be a big splash to grab a position of absolute need... Big splash is a flashy Revis that the Bills don't really need but would make the team better.

I always thought big splash was bringing in a star. Someone who was highly coveted and sought after. I dont consider it necessary to be in a position of non need. Or some kind of luxury. By this standard. Mario Williams was not a big splash. We had crap at DE before him. Kyle Moore and Merriman. whoever else. Maybe im off base. But you get my point

I always thought big splash was bringing in a star. Someone who was highly coveted and sought after. I dont consider it necessary to be in a position of non need. Or some kind of luxury. By this standard. Mario Williams was not a big splash. We had crap at DE before him. Kyle Moore and Merriman. whoever else. Maybe im off base. But you get my point

Mario Williams was a luxery... The Bills didn't need him.

Like most people, I voted for workmanlike. This is really just my hope. In reality, I think they will try to go for a big splash in order to create hype and sell a few more tickets.

I believe that with a few smart additions, (O-Line, mid-tier QB) this team is a playoff calibre team.

I think that Rex and Whaley are like kids in a candy store, and they may spend Pegula's money on things that they really don't need.

Was Eric Wood any good at guard? Where is Cameron Ervin going? Is he definite first round? I personally am not against drafting a center. I put that on this blog because i was thinking if Wood is any good at guard maybe we wouldnt have to look outside of the team to fill the spot.

"At all costs" easy to say but who do you envision them going after and what do you envision as "all costs"?

It's hard to say as each situation will be different but I feel as though we need a QB more than any other team. So whatever the going rate is for any of the available guys plus 1. If it's at all possible to get a Bradford or Foles then make it happen. I don't want to see us sit back and have the Texans trade for one of those guys for example. If there really is no one good available then get Sanchez and Locker and let them battle it out with EJ but keep the trade talks going as those other guys or better might be available mid season.

The Eagles might be crazy enough to trade up for Mariota so the Bills better be in on that if it happens. Give them some picks for Foles and then the Eagles can use those picks to trade up. Work all of the angles and be ready to deal if the opportunity arises.

Bottom line is if there is a way to get better at QB then the Bills better be doing all they can to make it happen. No more lets give EJ another shot and see what happens and if he fails we have this crappy veteran as a backup. And If I see another team trade to get a good QB and we don't then I'm going to be upset. Get a QB in FA, trade for a QB, draft a QB. And let the best man win

I think Hughes will be the cannonball. Clay and a OL will be medium splashes. Rest will be serviceable splishes.

^

This. These moves here will set the Bills up for a playoff run. Clay is the type of talent Roman would want. He can do a bit of everything and provides mis-matches in the passing game due to his athleticism. Don't like the Cameron option strictly because of the concussion issue. Kolb should be a good teacher for Whaley and us fans. Remember, EJ wasn't supposed to start right away...

OL signing I don't think will be Iupati. I'm thinking Blalock, Herremans, Evans if released. I tend to think they will go older, proven, effective veteran at OG because they have Richardson and Kuondijo in waiting. Two years behind a true vet who is good at their job, they should be ready to rock. I wouldn't be surprised to see Whaley make a run at a RT like Bulaga, or Doug Free. I think Henderson would then be the swing tackle, and LT in waiting if Glenn wants too much $ when it's extension time.

The serviceable splish for me will be a NT-DT-DE for Rex's system. (Kendall Langford? Jared Odrick? BJ Raji? Dan Williams?) Get a NT and Dareus can play DE. Get a DE and Dareus can stay inside. And they will still have Charles and Bryant to rotate in as well.

The other splish will be a FA QB. At this point, EJ getting better is our best hope, but they have to sign someone and draft someone. Or sign two. I would take Locker strictly because he has physical upside and can win with his legs too. But he's basically EJ. So they will go with a Sanchez or Moore. In 3rd round they will grab a QB if Grayson, Petty or Hundley are still there.

I think the RB comes in the draft.

My 3 cents.

Edited by purple haze

I like the fact that the Bills did not overpay for McCown. I am sure they placed a value on his services and when the Browns exceeded that (panicked) they ended the pursuit. If Sanchez, for example, is on their target list they know they can get him for less than the guaranteed $6MM+ that the Browns gave McCown. This indicates, to me, that the football guys are back in charge at OBD.

They will bring in a veteran backup type QB via FA and they will draft at least one and likely sign another as an undrafted FA. Whaley is tied to Manuel for at least one more year and Rex was signed to a five year deal to give him an extra year. Trades involving players rarely happen in the NFL and the draft pick cupboard is bare so the option to acquire a QB via trade is unlikely and unnecessary.

They have a plan and they are following it. They know their positions of need and they have values placed on them whether via draft or free agency. Trades can be somewhat on the fly as guys come available but the Bills lack the assets for a trade battle especially for an established starter at QB.

The Bills will continue to feed the defense in free agency - including re-signing Hughes (remember he was Whaley's Cinderella signing). The DL is stout but aging quickly so look for draft picks or select FA acquisitions there for depth. I do believe that if Revis becomes available, the Bills will indulge Rex and probably overpay to acquire him - no big deal, it makes the pass rush better anyway. Is it really overpaying to get a guy who knows your primary divisional opponent's offense as well as Revis knows the Patriots? I think not.

Whaley's Steelers heritage dictates building through the draft and signing your own players (or former Steelers :-)) as the first option in free agency. Bill Cowher probably gave Whaley a big endorsement when he spoke to Pegula so he will be given room to run the football program his way for the foreseeable future.

The Bills next long term QB will come or has already come (EJ) through their own draft process.

Edited by 217014170

It's hard to say as each situation will be different but I feel as though we need a QB more than any other team. So whatever the going rate is for any of the available guys plus 1. If it's at all possible to get a Bradford or Foles then make it happen. I don't want to see us sit back and have the Texans trade for one of those guys for example. If there really is no one good available then get Sanchez and Locker and let them battle it out with EJ but keep the trade talks going as those other guys or better might be available mid season.

The Eagles might be crazy enough to trade up for Mariota so the Bills better be in on that if it happens. Give them some picks for Foles and then the Eagles can use those picks to trade up. Work all of the angles and be ready to deal if the opportunity arises.

Bottom line is if there is a way to get better at QB then the Bills better be doing all they can to make it happen. No more lets give EJ another shot and see what happens and if he fails we have this crappy veteran as a backup. And If I see another team trade to get a good QB and we don't then I'm going to be upset. Get a QB in FA, trade for a QB, draft a QB. And let the best man win

I get your sentiment. But trades aren't that easy to make. Someone has to be on the block worth trading for. In your Foles scenario, what would you give up if you were Whaley? And what leads you to believe Foles is that good?

I like the fact that the Bills did not overpay for McCown. I am sure they placed a value on his services and when the Browns exceeded that (panicked) they ended the pursuit. If Sanchez, for example, is on their target list they know they can get him for less than the guaranteed $6MM+ that the Browns gave McCown. This indicates, to me, that the football guys are back in charge at OBD.

Agree with you. McCown got over because he was available now. If he were let go on March 7th, I don't believe he would have gotten that type of money. He would have been one of ten fighting for a gig in a buyer's market.

Edited by purple haze

I get your sentiment. But trades aren't that easy to make. Someone has to be on the block worth trading for. In your Foles scenario, what would you give up if you were Whaley? And what leads you to believe Foles is that good?

In the other thread I laid out a scenario where Mariotta drops out of the top 5 and the Eagles trade their 1st and 2nd and next year's 1st to move up. We could grab Foles for our 2nd and another pick next year based on how well he plays. So in the end all it would cost Philly to move up would be next year's 1st which is pretty cheap if they think Mariotta is their QB for the next decade

In the other thread I laid out a scenario where Mariotta drops out of the top 5 and the Eagles trade their 1st and 2nd and next year's 1st to move up. We could grab Foles for our 2nd and another pick next year based on how well he plays. So in the end all it would cost Philly to move up would be next year's 1st which is pretty cheap if they think Mariotta is their QB for the next decade

Hmmmmm... That's not a bad scenario. But you know how the league is. They might not want to let him go for so cheap. Especially if there are other teams trying to get in on that dance.

I don't consider Iupati a big splash signing...

I do. but hey thats just me. Its a lot of money for a guard.

I prefer Blalock from the Falcons at this point.

They may go big on TE though.

Hughes might walk and Spiller too.

Keep Searcy. and hellno to Revis

Mark Ingram, Clay, Hughes, and a solid guard are my bets.

Though most think the Bills will draft a RB (and maybe they will do that as well) I think Ingram is a good bet. I have a feeling they have their eye on signing one in FA, and he's a good fit as well as young.

Mallet- QB

Iupati- G

Clay- TE

David Harris - LB

Terrance Knighton - NT

Knighton would qualify as a big splash imo. Clay pretty good slash too.

what is this infatuation with D Harris ? We have Preston Brown who is very smart and can call all the plays.

Like most people, I voted for workmanlike. This is really just my hope. In reality, I think they will try to go for a big splash in order to create hype and sell a few more tickets.

I believe that with a few smart additions, (O-Line, mid-tier QB) this team is a playoff calibre team.

I think that Rex and Whaley are like kids in a candy store, and they may spend Pegula's money on things that they really don't need.

Gawd, Graybeard, with Whaley as GM and Brandon divorced from football decisions I had hoped that "hype hirings" were a thing of the past here.

Rex may be enchanted with the candy store. I see Whaley as way too shrewd and seasoned for that. I hope I'm right 0:). On the other hand, when the coach *cough* Gailey *cough* is enchanted with "Waterbug backs" and wildcat QBs, I guess the GM gets sucked in to the candy store too *cough* Nix *cough*

Edited by Hopeful

I think Spiller and Searcy are gone and they re-sign Hughes. The only big splash I'd like to see is Iupati. Medium splash maybe Clay (TE). The rest will be be value signings, maybe another guard if they don't land Iupati. I don't see them getting into a bidding war for Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron based on their injury history. Virgil Green from Denver would be a value pick TE I'm curious about too. Of course they are adding a QB, probably two.

+1

Mallet- QB

Iupati- G

Clay- TE

David Harris - LB

Terrance Knighton - NT

I think Mallet wants to stay with the Texans and O'Brien has been very public about wanting him to stay, so I expect they couldn't agree on his value: likely his agent and the Texans are waiting on FA to see how much interest he draws..

.I'd kind of rather see us draft a linebacker ...Harris is kind of long in the tooth for a LB...and I'd kind of rather we work with the great line we got and work to keep Hughes then go for Knighton but that's just me