Job search dilemma

Captain Hindsight

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I hate this job.

I feel like such a terrible fit here and I would have hoped by now I'd feel comfortable and was starting to get it. But I'm just not. It's been 7 months and I still feel like my head is spinning.

This job just requires so much industry knowledge and j simply don't have it. I try extremely hard, I read everything, go to webinars. I ask questions. I've read manuals, cut sheets and every time I feel like I'm getting it, I screw something else up. It's gotten to the point where I'm not just frustrated anymore, I'm unhappy.

People keep telling me that this is normal and it will get better. It's been 7 months. I can't think of one day that I've felt comfortable here. Am I being dumb? Or is this just a bad fit that I need to remove myself from?

If you don't feel comfortable after seven months, you may never feel comfortable. Or one day you may wake up with an "Ah Ha!" moment that everything makes sense. What you can do is start looking for something else that will be a better fit, but keep your current job, don't just quit.

If you don't feel comfortable after seven months, you may never feel comfortable. Or one day you may wake up with an "Ah Ha!" moment that everything makes sense. What you can do is start looking for something else that will be a better fit, but keep your current job, don't just quit.

I'm not planning on quitting. But I am

Updating my resume. I'm just sick of this. I wasn't sure about it in March and I'm sure now that this isn't what I want to be doing. I'm just frustrated I'm even in this position

I hate this job.

I feel like such a terrible fit here and I would have hoped by now I'd feel comfortable and was starting to get it. But I'm just not. It's been 7 months and I still feel like my head is spinning.

This job just requires so much industry knowledge and j simply don't have it. I try extremely hard, I read everything, go to webinars. I ask questions. I've read manuals, cut sheets and every time I feel like I'm getting it, I screw something else up. It's gotten to the point where I'm not just frustrated anymore, I'm unhappy.

People keep telling me that this is normal and it will get better. It's been 7 months. I can't think of one day that I've felt comfortable here. Am I being dumb? Or is this just a bad fit that I need to remove myself from?

Rome wasn't built in a day

Nobody is perfect

It takes years to become an expert in your field (unless you are a genius)

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Rome wasn't built in a day

Nobody is perfect

It takes years to become an expert in your field (unless you are a genius)

So far it's taken approximately 1,009,491 days to build Rome. I hope Hindsight has a quicker learning curve.

i hear you...i am 4 months in and i still feel lost, but i do keep learning things. my biggest issue is my boss works remotely from Cincinnati so I have seen him maybe 3 times since i have been here and he isn't the most communicative person in the world and his emails are very short and non-specific, and sometimes i feel as though they are all assuming I have been here for years and know everything already. It's frustrating as hell, but each day seems to get the tiniest bit easier and those aha moments are starting to happen. hopefully it works out for you, jobs aren't supposed to make you frustrated.

I'm not planning on quitting. But I am
Updating my resume. I'm just sick of this. I wasn't sure about it in March and I'm sure now that this isn't what I want to be doing. I'm just frustrated I'm even in this position

• 1 month later...

Well, I still don't feel comfortable or enjoy my work, but I am getting better at it. I do like my boss which makes it easier.

Haven't been actively looking as of late but I'm planning on ramping it up soon. I still don't feel like a good fit. They like me (At least it seems that way) but I hate the job. I know it could put these guys in a pinch, but I gotta do what's best for me and my sanity. Luckily I'm living at home so I have saved a lot this year.

Well, I still don't feel comfortable or enjoy my work, but I am getting better at it. I do like my boss which makes it easier.

Haven't been actively looking as of late but I'm planning on ramping it up soon. I still don't feel like a good fit. They like me (At least it seems that way) but I hate the job. I know it could put these guys in a pinch, but I gotta do what's best for me and my sanity. Luckily I'm living at home so I have saved a lot this year.

Well thats good that you are getting better at it. I have been at my job 4 years now and I still ask questions as I believe you can never truly know 100% about your job as there are always changes.

Let me ask you this, do you know enough of your job to do the day to day requirements of it and enough to get by?

CBF

Well thats good that you are getting better at it. I have been at my job 4 years now and I still ask questions as I believe you can never truly know 100% about your job as there are always changes.

Let me ask you this, do you know enough of your job to do the day to day requirements of it and enough to get by?

CBF

Yeah I usually know what to do on the day to day stuff. Every once in a while they will say something to me that makes my head spin.

Part of my problem I think is the industry I'm in. Just doesn't really fit my personality. I work in consulting that is 100% go go go, deadlines, rush rush. I'm usually here a little before 8 and leave after 6 (I'm not naive, I know it's work and long hours can happen). But anyone that knows me knows I'm very laid back, never in a rush

It wouldn't be all bad if i actually liked the product/industry. But it's freaking lighting. It couldn't be more boring IMO

When I started in this job, I had been out of the IT field for 8 years.

It took me 6 months to be where I felt comfortable and confident. And now, two years in, I feel like I've achieved some level of mastery. At first, I referred maybe 6/10 calls to my boss for help. Now it's like 1 out of 20. And I've learned a lot about things I never worked on in the past.

It's always best to stretch your limits in jobs, that's how you get ahead.

Yeah I usually know what to do on the day to day stuff. Every once in a while they will say something to me that makes my head spin.

Part of my problem I think is the industry I'm in. Just doesn't really fit my personality. I work in consulting that is 100% go go go, deadlines, rush rush. I'm usually here a little before 8 and leave after 6 (I'm not naive, I know it's work and long hours can happen). But anyone that knows me knows I'm very laid back, never in a rush

It wouldn't be all bad if i actually liked the product/industry. But it's freaking lighting. It couldn't be more boring IMO

I hear ya. The best thing you can do is what you are doing by asking questions and showing everyone around you that you care and want to learn and do the best job you can.

I always think that the ones who ask questions are the ones who care

CBF

• 4 weeks later...

Guy didn't even last a year. Could the job not be your dream job? Just asking. Good luck .

That thought did cross my mind. I plan on asking them why. The guy who had it before loved it, had a communication with him. He just decided it was time to move on

If I get the idea something was really wrong, I have a job. I don't have to do anything.

I sent an email to the women I interviewed with last year and let her know I was interested. She replied back in 5 mins , so I take that as a good sign