Job search dilemma

Captain Hindsight

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accepted the first job offer.

Other one fell through. The first company was going to give me 48 hours anyway because they hadn't written up the contract yet.

Emailed both the VP and GM of the other job and both told to apply next time there is an opening. Really liked me, other guy was a former consultant of theirs.

Other one fell through. The first company was going to give me 48 hours anyway because they hadn't written up the contract yet.

Emailed both the VP and GM of the other job and both told to apply next time there is an opening. Really liked me, other guy was a former consultant of theirs.

Congrats! At least they left the door open at the dream job.

Congratulation, Capt.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha sorry guys. Haven't been fired yet but they are working me hard. No time to get on the board at this job. Work is fast paced, I'm learning a lot but the work isn't exactly the most stimulating.

Something interesting happened today however. In the midst of having 8 projects dropped on my desk on day 6 of my new job, I got an email from another local company that does something similar wanting to meet me for lunch either this week or next week. I know one of the project managers there from school and he recommended me.

I actually didn't notice the email until a few mins ago because I am convinced my employer checks our online activity and I don't check my personal at work because I am still pursuing that other job for next year and having a regular correspondence with the NP people.

Anyone been in this position? How do I hear what they have to say without getting fired?

When does this start? Any updates to life and plans yet? How about City Girl? What is she thinking?

No updates to life plans. Wearing big boy pants and started last week.

She's still on board. We are no rush for the wedding tho. Still have a lot we want to do before then.

Her mom asks her once a month if I'm going to propose soon haha

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Ha sorry guys. Haven't been fired yet but they are working me hard. No time to get on the board at this job. Work is fast paced, I'm learning a lot but the work isn't exactly the most stimulating.

Something interesting happened today however. In the midst of having 8 projects dropped on my desk on day 6 of my new job, I got an email from another local company that does something similar wanting to meet me for lunch either this week or next week. I know one of the project managers there from school and he recommended me.

I actually didn't notice the email until a few mins ago because I am convinced my employer checks our online activity and I don't check my personal at work because I am still pursuing that other job for next year and having a regular correspondence with the NP people.

Anyone been in this position? How do I hear what they have to say without getting fired?

No updates to life plans. Wearing big boy pants and started last week.

She's still on board. We are no rush for the wedding tho. Still have a lot we want to do before then.

Her mom asks her once a month if I'm going to propose soon haha

Maybe it is really your current employer testing you. Making sure you aren't engaging in corporate espionage.

Oh... What can't you do married? That you can't do together? I don't get the: "WE have a lot to do" thing. ?? Is it so old fashioned to make her an honest woman?

. . . How do I hear what they have to say without getting fired? . . .

Just my opinion, but from the way you've described your situation/preferences in multiple posts, that's the wrong question. Unless you've had a change of heart (no evidence of that in this thread), the question should be:

How will my prospects of getting my dream job next year be affected if I switch jobs before then?

Answer may somewhat depend on the age of the person making the hiring decisions for the dream job. The older that person is, the more inclined he/she will be to look unfavorably on a history of early or frequent job changes. At a minimum, you should think about how you would explain a job change now to the hiring manager for the dream job if it opens up next year.

OTOH, better to excel at a different job now than to be so bored you suck at this one for a year. Sounds like the current job isn't really that bad, though, if you feel like you're learning a lot.

Just my 2 drachma.

Oh... What can't you do married? . . .

This question deserves its own thread.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Just my opinion, but from the way you've described your situation/preferences in multiple posts, that's the wrong question. Unless you've had a change of heart (no evidence of that in this thread), the question should be:

How will my prospects of getting my dream job next year be affected if I switch jobs before then?

Answer may somewhat depend on the age of the person making the hiring decisions for the dream job. The older that person is, the more inclined he/she will be to look unfavorably on a history of early or frequent job changes. At a minimum, you should think about how you would explain a job change now to the hiring manager for the dream job if it opens up next year.

OTOH, better to excel at a different job now than to be so bored you suck at this one for a year. Sounds like the current job isn't really that bad, though, if you feel like you're learning a lot.

Just my 2 drachma.

This question deserves its own thread.

good post

Oh... What can't you do married? That you can't do together? I don't get the: "WE have a lot to do" thing. ?? Is it so old fashioned to make her an honest woman?

Yeah I don't get that either. Sounds like she wants to go 'round the rooster carousel a few more times. Or Hindsight is putting it off and she's trying to rationalize things to her mother and not scare him off.

Edited by LeviF91

This is the most dangerous advice of all - yet something to think about.

Companies have little loyalty to their employees ergo employees......

I read your post Quote - working me hard. .... Work is fast paced, I'm learning a lot but the work isn't exactly the most stimulating.

Not very stimulating = soon to be bored out of your mind.

Just my 2 drachma.

That is fantastic advice IMO. At the very least, be prepared to explain (with a lot of passion) why you would have changed jobs so quickly and build a case as to why that makes you a better employee prospect....rather than being viewed as someone who gets bored.

This is the most dangerous advice of all - yet something to think about.

Companies have little loyalty to their employees ergo employees......

I read your post Quote - working me hard. .... Work is fast paced, I'm learning a lot but the work isn't exactly the most stimulating.

Not very stimulating = soon to be bored out of your mind.

It's the way the world works... Work the young hard! ...And cheap. Especially in the trades (not saying he is in the trades), old bodies physically breakdown. You should have heard the young "strong" guys bellyaching this past winter on our job site. Not that anybody was coasting either, young or old. Seniority has its benefits. I fought it when I was younger, but all the while accepted it. Think long term, like he's going to get the plum projects a month in on the job? LoL... They will try and break you first!

I sound like my old man! Effing damn scary!