Job search dilemma

Captain Hindsight

So I recived an offer today that is a very good offer at a good company. At the same time, I interviewed for what I would say is a dream job in a national park. I thought I nailed the NP job interview but I haven't heard anything since I last spoke with them last week.

After I receivied the job offer this morning, I emailed the NP job and explained the situation and asked him to call me today. It's 615 here and the job is in Oregon so it's 315 there. He may still call but I'm sitting here debating if I should attempt to call him before the end of his workday or if that is being too pushy. My issue is the company that offered the job is meeting with me Monday afternoon to discuss the offer and will likely want an answer then

Any ideas of how to handle this?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Govt jobs can take forever sometimes.

I concur with others. Meet. Ask them for 24 hours. If the NP job doesn't get back to you, you really have to take the other job.

With any luck, you take job B ... and the NP job takes 4-5 weeks to get through the red tape crap ... and by then you'll know whether job B is worth staying.

Yea, worst case take what's on the table and split if dream job comes up later.... A real dilemma would be "I have no job offers and don't know what to do"

If you need to buy time, come into Monday's meeting with some strong questions and ask for a day to think about their answers

Govt jobs can take forever sometimes.

I concur with others. Meet. Ask them for 24 hours. If the NP job doesn't get back to you, you really have to take the other job.

With any luck, you take job B ... and the NP job takes 4-5 weeks to get through the red tape crap ... and by then you'll know whether job B is worth staying.

Its not a govt job, private company that operates in the park. Thats why I'm hoping I can get a straight answer back from them Monday

Edit: Just got an email from the guy at 1:15 (1015 there) He said he was traveling all day and will try to call tomorrow

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Its not a govt job, private company that operates in the park. Thats why I'm hoping I can get a straight answer back from them Monday

Edit: Just got an email from the guy at 1:15 (1015 there) He said he was traveling all day and will try to call tomorrow

Great. Hope it's good news.

Could end up with no job.

Yeah. I would have accepted the offer then pressed the other job until I got an answer. If you accept/leave for the other job...then you still have a job. Now that you know you're choice 2, the company that offered might not appreciate being YOUR choice 2.

Accept the first job you get offered. Doesn't mean you can't get the other.

I had a job once. Started on a Monday. The other job I had made the offer. I was first choice. That day going out the door I got the call, worked the job one day told them id finiah out the week because they really needed the help and leaderahip and started the other the next week.