Job search dilemma

Captain Hindsight

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is really your current employer testing you. Making sure you aren't engaging in corporate espionage.

Oh... What can't you do married? That you can't do together? I don't get the: "WE have a lot to do" thing. ?? Is it so old fashioned to make her an honest woman?

We have to pay off loans before we pay for a big ass party

Just my opinion, but from the way you've described your situation/preferences in multiple posts, that's the wrong question. Unless you've had a change of heart (no evidence of that in this thread), the question should be:

How will my prospects of getting my dream job next year be affected if I switch jobs before then?

Answer may somewhat depend on the age of the person making the hiring decisions for the dream job. The older that person is, the more inclined he/she will be to look unfavorably on a history of early or frequent job changes. At a minimum, you should think about how you would explain a job change now to the hiring manager for the dream job if it opens up next year.

OTOH, better to excel at a different job now than to be so bored you suck at this one for a year. Sounds like the current job isn't really that bad, though, if you feel like you're learning a lot.

Just my 2 drachma.

The two people I interviewed with at the NP had 30 and 37 years experience respectively. I think they would get what I was doing

I do think this other job, assuming it is the one listed on the website now, is more in line with what I'd like to be doing. Also likey comes with a raise

With regards to my current job, basically what I do is indentify ways to save money and energy by selling new efficient stuff. Important? Sure it is? My field? Yeah sorta.

The issue I have where I am now is I could see myself burning out. I fully expect to do grunt work, I'm the lowest guy on the ladder, but I see people that have been there a while just drained, talking about how migraines are a normal thing at this job. I'm not one to quit anything, so if there is nothing out there, I'm staying put and I'll kick ass at this job. But I think I owe to myself to hear their pitch

I hear you about the loans. Maybe go small party that's what we did and still "made money." Anyway, if it is a big party, both families usually kick in. My wife borrowed money from her parents to buy her car, @ the wedding her father "waived" it off. That was a big shock and gr8 gesture! Yet, it is nice when you can borrow from the "inside", nice advantage.

Though... It is always nice to start out on even ground than from behind the 8 ball. Most people will always be in some sort of debt, especially when young.

Good luck!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/market-implies-greek-devaluation-1530-drachma-versus-euro

. . . Given the Greeks entered the EMU in January 2001 at 340.75 Drachma to the Euro, the current market is pricing in a massive devaluation to around 1530 Drachma to the Euro. . . .
Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I hear you about the loans. Maybe go small party that's what we did and still "made money." Anyway, if it is a big party, both families usually kick in. My wife borrowed money from her parents to buy her car, @ the wedding her father "waived" it off. That was a big shock and gr8 gesture! Yet, it is nice when you can borrow from the "inside", nice advantage.

Though... It is always nice to start out on even ground than from behind the 8 ball. Most people will always be in some sort of debt, especially when young.

Good luck!

Yeah it's tough. Between the two of us we have roughly 70 k in debt and she is starting a small business right now so not really making anything.

As a practical matter, I don't make enough to support both of us in an apartment with that kind if debt. Marriage doesn't work when you have to live in seperate houses with your parents

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Yeah it's tough. Between the two of us we have roughly 70 k in debt and she is starting a small business right now so not really making anything.

As a practical matter, I don't make enough to support both of us in an apartment with that kind if debt. Marriage doesn't work when you have to live in seperate houses with your parents

Amen brother. I'm in a very similar situation. It'll come together, just keep working hard and moving forward. I repeat it to myself daily.

I do hear you.

The sad part of it is, generation(s) ago, marriage did work under these circumstances, but usually, everybody was under one house.

70k... Isn't really alot, but you have to be making semi-decent money. Don't make it like waiting for a bus that's always full. You tell yourself: "Oh, that one's too full, I will wait for the next." The next one comes along and then you say the same thing. Eventually, you keep saying that and you miss your appointment and fail to get to your destination.

Just my 2 cents.

So my friend from the second company called me today and asked if he could give his pitch. So we talked for like an hour and this other job sounds much more like me. Less technical, more outreach and talking to people, managing projects and also comes with a fairly significant raise. From what he told me it sounds like it's my job if I want it.

So now I have a legitimate problem. I do like the people I work with. They seem to like having me around and definitely need my help. The job itself? Meh. It's ok, I don't love it, don't hate it. I'm not one to quit on anything but if the offer is fairly significantly more..... It's hard to pass that up

Anyone been in this scenario? How would you handle it?

So my friend from the second company called me today and asked if he could give his pitch. So we talked for like an hour and this other job sounds much more like me. Less technical, more outreach and talking to people, managing projects and also comes with a fairly significant raise. From what he told me it sounds like it's my job if I want it.

So now I have a legitimate problem. I do like the people I work with. They seem to like having me around and definitely need my help. The job itself? Meh. It's ok, I don't love it, don't hate it. I'm not one to quit on anything but if the offer is fairly significantly more..... It's hard to pass that up

Take the raise and better fit! Short of "it feels wrong" what's the real downside?

Take yourself out of the picture and imagine a friend came to you with this dilemma what would you tell him? Or if you're serious about the relationship with the girl you mentioned what does she think you should do if you two are really close? To me the sign that you're thinking about leaving your current position tells me enough that you want to change. Now if you can get better money out of it and have the same or better passion than your current job why aren't you jumping out at? Sure we all make relationships in jobs but at the end of the day it's just work and or the people are co-workers. If they're you'r true friends they won't care if you are looking to better yourself but at the end of the day once you're gone you likely won't hear from them again and they'll find someone to replace you or if they don't they go belly up but it's not your fault they couldn't find a suitable replacement.

Edited by The Jokeman

There is an opening here as a lock operator... Go to USAJobs.gov.

They selected a fella. Seems the guy was going to take the job and then he declined all of a sudden. Guess where he is going? Back to the woods of Oregon! He's gonna work the summer season @ a National Park! I asked, no not that (Crater Lake) park Hindsight! :nana::nana: WOW! I asked if the job was filled and I almost crapped my pants when I heard where he was heading... Then turned out to be somewhere else in Oregon! :lol::lol:

Oh... It is Zigzag Ranger District, Mt. Hood.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 2 months later...

I must have a pretty good resume.

Was called this morning about a job in Mass :sick: . Going to hear their pitch because it could pay significantly more.

Still at the first job. Still not a huge fan of it

options are a good thing...and ALWAYS listen.

Was called this morning about a job in Mass :sick: . Going to hear their pitch because it could pay significantly more.

I always entertain offers from other businesses. Being head hunted for a job is a good feeling as well, got me to the job I'm at now.

go with what you love to do.

meh only lasts so long. longer if the pay is good.

except if you have to work in -15 degrees for days at a time

Taxachusetts?

Listen then ask for $45.00 per hour, with full relocation costs, 2 or 3 months of temporary housing.

Ask for more more if it is in Boston. too damn expensive to live within 50 miles of Beantown

this is based on home prices 10 years ago so... factor in inflation.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever