RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how you get there, either. Whaley Rex and Roman have been aligned all along in saying they would bring in at least 2 QB, preferably one a vet.

Frankly, having a vet backup and drafting (or keeping around) a promising rookie is SOP for every well run team.

Doesn't mean they think EJ is the likely starter, but doesn't mean they are looking for "anyone other than EJ" either, unless they do cut him.

That why I led off with "Seems unlikely". But you also threw in a caveat "unless they do cut him". So do you think there's a chance of that happening?

If I had to put money on it I'd agree and say EJ is most likely going to be the starter this year.

But at the same time I can certainly understand a POV that would say why would Rex Ryan want to go that way? The Bills are ready to win now. Some could argue their window is opening, if only they can find a QB that's ready to go now. If you are Rex Ryan do you want to wait on a QB that needs developing? Who's to say what the team will be like the following year? Major injuries, contract disputes, or a host of other things could radically alter the team in only a years time. It might not happen, but then again it's not that uncommon in the NFL. And if this is what Rex Ryan says, his last NFL coaching job, do you want to risk a chance to win now when virtually all the pieces are in place to do so?

I don't know. I'm just throwing the possibility out there.

Gugny,

Where did the OP clearly state it was his opinion? Here's the post:

--------------------------------------------------------------

We are desperate to find an alternative to EJ.

We feel McCown is an upgrade to Orton.

Roman and him are good friends. Look for this to be completed tomorrow AM, also look for EJ to be cut two days after FA opens.

Imo

Sorry but I don't see a single "in my opinion" there. If you mean "lmo" the guy's screen name is Leroi, or leroi, and he signs every post "lmo" (lowercase "L" "M" "O")

If I"m stating my opinion, I typically don't use 'we' unless I got a mouse in my pocket.

But hey, don't let me rain on your righteousness parade.

I will also say that Leroi may, very well, be a reliable source of inside info. I'm not saying he's not. I'm just saying that it is my opinion that this "rumor" is his opinion. If not believing everything Leroi says makes me self-righteous, then I'm guilty as charged.

I appreciate (and always have appreciated) any inside info and I believe more than I disbelieve.

I'd simply be shocked if EJ Manuel was cut. I'd also be unhappy, because it's MY opinion that he'll be our starter for the long-term.

No chance and complete garbage. Unless we can get someone like Bradford, EJ will be the starter week one. Hoping he proves all the doubters wrong.

They will bring in another QB or two

Whoever they bring in will not be as a backup. Whoever they bring in will, even must, be someone they think can win the job.

So are you really saying that EJ can beat any of the QBs mentioned as possibilities, in a new offense he doesnt know? Or are you saying they will annoint EJ the starter?

(I dont think EJ will be the starter on opening day. Coach and FO are not invested in him. And I dont think he will win any QB competition in a new system).

Something is so strange with the EJ situation. Yes, he deserved to be benched after the Houston game, but for him to be placed in permanent purgatory without the possibility of parole was very unusual for a young 1st round QB without off-field issues.

So, we all figured it Marrone just didn't care for the kid and that was that. He stubbornly refused to play EJ again barring catastrophic injury to Orton, maybe out of spite to Whaley or maybe out of personal issues he had with Manuel, or maybe some combination of factors we aren't privy to.

However, even after Marrone resigned, EJ's biggest cheerleader, Whaley himself, refused to defend or endorse Manuel. Just gave luke-warm references to him having an opportunity to compete - like he was no better than Tuel. Ryan also hemmed and hawed when asked where EJ stood.

Fact is, nobody in the organization stood up after Marrone fled the scene and said they believed EJ would be The Man. I would have expected the opposite, especially from a GM looking to justify his reach by drafting EJ about 20 spots ahead of where he was forecast to be picked.

Now, we hear rumors he will be unceremoniously released. It's so unusual how swift and permanent the turn against EJ was that I can't help but wonder if behind the scenes something is amiss. Maybe he isn't who he appears to be in his public facing persona?

Look, I have no idea what's going on, and I'm no EJ defender by a long shot, but the whole EJ saga has had me scratching my head from the moment we picked him, and has only grown more bizarre over time.

It seems like a lot of DM's decisions left us scratching our heads. Mike Williams, Pears at guard, no Urbick, Running Back rotations. Benching EJ was the easiest one for him, he was just waiting for Orton to play catch up. I hope they can bring a couple guys in and they all start at zero to see who wins. I would honestly be surprised if it isn't EJ. If EJ won't start Week1 then trade him or release him or whatever. Bottom line is I don't think he's as bad many think. I don't think Orton was as much of an improvement as a lot of people think. I know that EJ worked out with Kaepernick last offseason and I know Roman liked Kaepernick. I think Roman and Lee can facilitate EJ becoming a quality starter. I think Marrone's stink got all over our offense last year and ALL of his personel decisions were in the interest of self preservation and not getting fired. EJ won't be cut before camp IMO.

Yeah I am not sure how they got there either. If this were the case the Patriots were looking for anyone, other than Tom Brady when they were looking at QB's in last years draft and drafted Garoppolo in the 2nd round. Or the Giants with Nassib. Or the Steelers with Jones. Or the Broncos with Osweiler. Or the Redskins with Cousins (right after they gave away their future)

Good teams draft QBs all the time.

There were crowds on this board saying Brady would be benched by the bye week this September - think on that for a minute

That why I led off with "Seems unlikely". But you also threw in a caveat "unless they do cut him". So do you think there's a chance of that happening?

If I had to put money on it I'd agree and say EJ is most likely going to be the starter this year.

But at the same time I can certainly understand a POV that would say why would Rex Ryan want to go that way? The Bills are ready to win now. Some could argue their window is opening, if only they can find a QB that's ready to go now. If you are Rex Ryan do you want to wait on a QB that needs developing? Who's to say what the team will be like the following year? Major injuries, contract disputes, or a host of other things could radically alter the team in only a years time. It might not happen, but then again it's not that uncommon in the NFL. And if this is what Rex Ryan says, his last NFL coaching job, do you want to risk a chance to win now when virtually all the pieces are in place to do so?

I don't know. I'm just throwing the possibility out there.

Ha! You got me Gumby. I think it would be silly to cut EJ before training camp. Stupid even. I think he should have a chance to compete under new coaches and only be cut if he bottoms out on the depth chart going into the season with 3 healthy QB ahead of him and they can not trade him.

But my scars from years of futile Bills fandom are showing, and compel me to admit to you that even though I think it would be silly, even stupid, yes I do think there's a chance of that happening because the Bills have done many things over the years I regarded as silly or stupid and I hope that the current administration is different - but it needs to be shown to me.

I will also say that Leroi may, very well, be a reliable source of inside info. I'm not saying he's not. I'm just saying that it is my opinion that this "rumor" is his opinion. If not believing everything Leroi says makes me self-righteous, then I'm guilty as charged.

I appreciate (and always have appreciated) any inside info and I believe more than I disbelieve.

I'd simply be shocked if EJ Manuel was cut. I'd also be unhappy, because it's MY opinion that he'll be our starter for the long-term.

What, that? How would you reach that conclusion from what's been posted? No it's the bit about "the OP clearly stated it was his opinion. The thread title should be changed. Then the thread should be locked."

Believe whatcha like, that may make ya credulous, it doesn't make you self-righteous. It's asserting that the guy "clearly" stated it was his opinion when ya need a word processor and a detective kit to find the IMO, and he doesn't couch his views as his opinions (use of plural pronoun, absolute language) - I think if a lot of people don't see something clearly, it's possible that, you know, it really isn't so clear? And then following it up by stating that the thread should be locked and the title changed. In the free wheeling world of message boards, that did strike me as self-righteous, yes. The thread title indicates what will be found in the thread, more clearly than many, and the discussion has been reasonably civil so far. So what's the problem?

IMO, if EJ doesn't or can't become our starter for the long term, then it seems likely we'll go into yet another season without one 'cuz the otherwise pickings seem mightly slim.

FWIW, Leroi's been saying this for a month.

And was certainly right about McCown, but Cleveland upped the ante beyond what the Bills found reasonable. We will see if they go after Locker, but I am still calling no way on cutting Manuel. Makes no sense.