RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

I will also say that Leroi may, very well, be a reliable source of inside info. I'm not saying he's not. I'm just saying that it is my opinion that this "rumor" is his opinion. If not believing everything Leroi says makes me self-righteous, then I'm guilty as charged.

I appreciate (and always have appreciated) any inside info and I believe more than I disbelieve.

I'd simply be shocked if EJ Manuel was cut. I'd also be unhappy, because it's MY opinion that he'll be our starter for the long-term.

That's how read this whole situation.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I might be in the minority, but in EJ's rookie year there was a few games I felt EJ was really going to be special. The NE game and before he got hurt against the Browns, I felt his ability to improvise and make something out of nothing was Rothlisberger/Wilson like...however this past season, he just wasn't the same. I blame the coaching staff.

That's how read this whole situation.

He has posted "imo" after after EVERYTHING, which muddies his intentions. I also think he blends what he hears with what he thinks in places, which makes it tough on us. When the RalphInOP stuff was going on I posted a few times about ways guys with a source could communicate more clearly to help their credibility and got chewed out by some but I think upon reflection this is a prime example of Leroi probably hearing something like "we want mccown and think it should be able to happen fast and think our plan should let us move on from EJ once FA starts if all stays on track" and sloppy communication changed the message being received by us Edited by NoSaint

He has posted "imo" after after EVERYTHING, which muddies his intentions. I also think he blends what he hears with what he thinks in places, which makes it tough on us. When the RalphInOP stuff was going on I posted a few times about ways guys with a source could communicate more clearly to help their credibility and got chewed out by some but I think upon reflection this is a prime example of Leroi probably hearing something like "we want mccown and think it should be able to happen fast and think our plan should let us move on from EJ once FA starts if all stays on track" and sloppy communication changed the message being received by us

Then I must have missed it in his first post ever on the board.

And was certainly right about McCown, but Cleveland upped the ante beyond what the Bills found reasonable. We will see if they go after Locker, but I am still calling no way on cutting Manuel. Makes no sense.

he didn't post about mccown until Thursday when it had already been widey reported he was negotiating, as well as reported they saw him as upgrade from

Orton (he seemingly repeated/confirmed that). The new part was he was friends with Roman, and said he was going to sign here by Friday at noon. He may have been an inside source on the friends part. But they were seen at a Sabres game together a couple weeks ago so not a big surprise.

It was the EJ part he first posted about a month ago, and repeated Thursday.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The fact that McCown signed with Cleveland tells me he felt he had a better chance to start there. Which in turn would indicate that the coaches and front office are not as down on EJ as some believe.

IMO (meaning conjecture)

he said he felt good about their OL and knew their OC from his stint with the Raiders in 2007. He also takes pride in helping other players and wants to mentor Johnny rehab. Koom Ba ya.

They paid him MORE than Tampa gave him last year, after he came off a 1-10 season with a 36 QBR and led them to the worst record in the league. His agent must be jimmy sexton.

The fact that McCown signed with Cleveland tells me he felt he had a better chance to start there. Which in turn would indicate that the coaches and front office are not as down on EJ as some believe.

IMO (meaning conjecture)

...or the Bills could have told him that he was going to be strictly a backup because they were going to pursue a solid starter in FA or trade for one. IMO, this new coaching staff does not see EJ as being their starting QB this year.

he said he felt good about their OL and knew their OC from his stint with the Raiders in 2007. He also takes pride in helping other players and wants to mentor Johnny rehab. Koom Ba ya.

They paid him MORE than Tampa gave him last year, after he came off a 1-10 season with a 36 QBR and led them to the worst record in the league. His agent must be jimmy sexton.

So McCown had no connection to Bills coaching staff? Wasn't Kromer his OC in Chicago? Wants to mentor Johnny but not EJ? And the Bills are a much better team than the Browns. So that just leaves money, then don't want him anyway.

...or the Bills could have told him that he was going to be strictly a backup because they were going to pursue a solid starter in FA or trade for one. IMO, this new coaching staff does not see EJ as being their starting QB this year.

You think the Bills are going to bring in two vet QBs?

You think the Bills are going to bring in two vet QBs?

I hope. I'd like to see them bring in a FA (slim pickin's), trade, AND draft a guy. I think this strategy would allow us to de-risk pursuing historically fragile high-potential guys like Bradford.

This is not because I think EJ is crap and the Bills should want "anyone but EJ" but because I think we should take lots of shots on goal this year. I think we have hurt ourselves the last couple years with putting "all our eggs in one basket" with first Kolb and then 2nd I think Orton was who they wanted and didn't sign anyone else while pursuing him but he strung them along for 2 months. And that hurt us.

So this year I think we should go for several shots and if one makes it through TC and preseason great, if two make it even better, if three make it best of all.

I hope. I'd like to see them bring in a FA (slim pickin's), trade, AND draft a guy. I think this strategy would allow us to de-risk pursuing historically fragile high-potential guys like Bradford.

This is not because I think EJ is crap and the Bills should want "anyone but EJ" but because I think we should take lots of shots on goal this year. I think we have hurt ourselves the last couple years with putting "all our eggs in one basket" with first Kolb and then 2nd I think Orton was who they wanted and didn't sign anyone else while pursuing him but he strung them along for 2 months. And that hurt us.

So this year I think we should go for several shots and if one makes it through TC and preseason great, if two make it even better, if three make it best of all.

I'd rather a vet FA, EJ and draft a guy.

IMO (meaning conjecture)

Buffalo going so hard after Josh McCown tells me they don't consider EJ a starter. Why would they pay McCown upwards of 5m per to just compete for the starting job?

Edited by BillsVet

@KevinMassare: According to source: the Bills "are still very much on the hook for EJs rookie deal, would make no sense to let him go right now

Just like any of us with at least half a brain could conclude, they owe EJ money from his rookie deal so they aren't cutting him without giving him a shot to compete. He's at least an adequate backup.

Buffalo going so hard after Josh McCown tells me they don't consider EJ a starter. Why would they pay McCown upwards of 5m per to just compete for the starting job?

FWIW, Rappaport, who first reported McCown signing with the Browns, said that he was coming here to compete with EJ. Not to be the starter.

I'd also argue that Cleveland is the one that "went hard after" McCown, it took a full court, old school recruiting effort from what I've read...

Lastly, Leroi, please, just drop in and solve "lmo-gate" - I know you're reading this! :beer:

$3-$5M kind of going rate for a vet backup with history as a starter? Moore got $4M from Dolphins and hasn't started a game since 2011, threw 4 passes last year.

If the Texans keep Fitz, it may be for $3.8M to back up Mallet.

Besides we don't know what they offered, right, only that he preferred Browns offer

Edited by Hopeful

$3-$5M kind of going rate for a vet backup with history as a starter?

yep and Matt Moore and Chase Daniel currently at 3 mill/yr as an example of backup money. Moore played 0 games the last 3 years and Daniel played 1 each of the past 2 years. The FA QBs may not be any good, but they won't be hurting for money.