RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

New administration brings in their own guys. It stands a decent chance of happening.

I wouldn't doubt that his camp leaked it to eliminate his trade value and allow him to pick the future team instead of the Bills.

That being said, you'd hope the Bills have a plan because I'm not sure Jeff Tuel is an acceptable answer to the backup QB question. I think the only reason McCown is talking to the Bills because they've told him he'll start here.

I think you are over-estimating McCown's leverage. Save for one miracle 9 game stretch in Chicago throwing to 2 great WRs with a very good RB too, McCown's career stats are flat worse than Manuel's.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I know this is about EJ being cut, but I just randomly found this when looking up something about Marrone.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/65051/why-bills-drafted-ej-manuel-in-first-round

It's pretty funny to think that all of the things that Marrone commented on were eventually unlearned.

I think "unlearned" is the wrong choice of word. Marrone clearly "coached" his best attributes out of him.

Because Marrone is stupid.

Seems unlikely. But it's been reported the Bills talked to every QB at the combine with the exception of Marriota and Winston.

They appear to be looking for someone, anyone, other than EJ

Or there are only two QB's on the roster and one of them was undrafted and are looking for insurance. Not saying they aren't looking to replace EJ but they still need depth assuming this McCown thing falls through.

And those other two QB's are going to be well gone before the Bills even pick.

Edited by The Wiz

Seems unlikely. But it's been reported the Bills talked to every QB at the combine with the exception of Marriota and Winston.

They appear to be looking for someone, anyone, other than EJ

even if they liked EJ a lot, id hope that they would talk to a lot of people at the combine. they had an unknown in EJ, and tuel.... it would be reckless not to talk to all the qbs.

Or there are only two QB's on the roster and one of them was undrafted and are looking for insurance. Not saying they aren't looking to replace EJ but they still need depth assuming this McCown thing falls through.

And those other two QB's are going to be well gone before the Bills even pick.

That's why they didn't talk to the top 2 QBs. You're probably right but it seems to be that they aren't too happy with EJ being the starter.

That's why they didn't talk to the top 2 QBs. You're probably right but it seems to be that they aren't too happy with EJ being the starter.

I don't think it really tells anything about their opinion of EJ. They could be not happy with him, sure, but if they talked to all the LB's at the combine would it mean they aren't happy with their LB core? I'm sure it's much easier to talk to all the QB's since there are probably only a dozen that are worth spending the time drafting but you get my point.

I won't say they are looking for someone to just come in and be a back up. I believe they want someone to compete with EJ. Whether that means they have a lower opinion of him then so be it.

Edited by The Wiz

Imagine if EJ still ran. He'd have 4 games instead of 14.

Unfortunately we don't know that for sure. Marrone decided it was best to clip his wings and see if he could fly.

Wouldn't this team have been better served to just let Manuel play in the style he plays his best? What's the downside? Let him play with his legs as an option and learn if he was the right or wrong choice by him either playing well, not playing well or getting hurt. Doing what Marrone did by just telling him to avoid injuries and turnovers only put Manuel's true evaluation and development on hold. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does under Roman's offense considering Kaepernick's success in it.

Unfortunately we don't know that for sure. Marrone decided it was best to clip his wings and see if he could fly.

Wouldn't this team have been better served to just let Manuel play in the style he plays his best? What's the downside? Let him play with his legs as an option and learn if he was the right or wrong choice by him either playing well, not playing well or getting hurt. Doing what Marrone did by just telling him to avoid injuries and turnovers only put Manuel's true evaluation and development on hold. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does under Roman's offense considering Kaepernick's success in it.

What do injuries do? Accelerate his progress?

EJ was never a Colin Kaepernick or Cam Newton. He runs like Aaron Rodgers does. This revisionist history about his "game" being limited is crap.

so, you think Rex has no input on the most important position? If that's the case then he's a fool for taking the job. No straw an here. Has RomanRex ever personally coached EJ at the NFL level? No? Then it is folly. There is no reason to make this move any time before TC.

My sources the same one that told me the Bills were going to hire Rex Ryan (everyone laughed) have told this story is false and BS (EJ is a Whaley boy)

I didn't believe it since Whaley had come out saying the head coaching candidates had to be open to let Manuel compete for the starting job.