RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

FWIW, Rappaport, who first reported McCown signing with the Browns, said that he was coming here to compete with EJ. Not to be the starter.

Same withe the Browns...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_josh_mccown.html

"The difference between McCown and Hoyer is Hoyer has made it clear he wants to start, and that he's established himself as a winning quarterback over the past two seasons. McCown, on the other hand, is more than willing to serve as a mentor to young quarterbacks such as Johnny Manziel and Connor Shaw.

When Manziel gets out of rehab, he'll need all the help and support he can get, and McCown will excel in that role, a source told the Northeast Ohio Media Group.

"I just want to serve our team and help everybody in that locker room, do my best to help everybody in the locker room be better at their job and they're going to help me, too. It's a two-way street," McCown said in a news release. "I'm just excited about coming in and being a part of a team."

Then again, he had 6.25 million reassons to say that...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/josh_mccowns_3_year_deal_worth.html

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same withe the Browns...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_josh_mccown.html

"The difference between McCown and Hoyer is Hoyer has made it clear he wants to start, and that he's established himself as a winning quarterback over the past two seasons. McCown, on the other hand, is more than willing to serve as a mentor to young quarterbacks such as Johnny Manziel and Connor Shaw.

When Manziel gets out of rehab, he'll need all the help and support he can get, and McCown will excel in that role, a source told the Northeast Ohio Media Group.

"I just want to serve our team and help everybody in that locker room, do my best to help everybody in the locker room be better at their job and they're going to help me, too. It's a two-way street," McCown said in a news release. "I'm just excited about coming in and being a part of a team."

Then again, he had 6.25 million reassons to say that...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/josh_mccowns_3_year_deal_worth.html

They have cap space so that is average type of money for starting QB

I appreciate Leroi's insights and posts even if some of them don't eventually prove to be true. He's very likely got a good source, as does Niagara Dude. But things change quickly behind the scenes. The Bills might have thought they had McCown at, say, 4m. But then the Browns upped their offer. The info at the time could have been correct, as in "look for it to happen." Even in retrospect that really isn't a lie, or even wrong. It was a prediction based on reliable info.

I very much question, however, the EJ cut two days into FA.

UNLESS there is a big trade, and we get Bradford or Cutler or someone who is the unquestioned starter and then we sign a guy like Matt Moore or Hoyer to be the back-up, and then draft a project. That's the only way I see it happening.

That could have been the information Leroi received. The Bills think they can pull off a trade, and they think they can sign a vet back-up early in free agency. That would also play into Leroi's "big splash" post.

Just cutting EJ with any two of the UFA QBs makes no sense to me.

I appreciate Leroi's insights and posts even if some of them don't eventually prove to be true. He's very likely got a good source, as does Niagara Dude. But things change quickly behind the scenes. The Bills might have thought they had McCown at, say, 4m. But then the Browns upped their offer. The info at the time could have been correct, as in "look for it to happen." Even in retrospect that really isn't a lie, or even wrong. It was a prediction based on reliable info.

UNLESS there is a big trade, and we get Bradford or Cutler or someone who is the unquestioned starter and then we sign a guy like Matt Moore or Hoyer to be the back-up, and then draft a project. That's the only way I see it happening.

That could have been the information Leroi received. The Bills think they can pull off a trade, and they think they can sign a vet back-up early in free agency. That would also play into Leroi's "big splash" post.

Agree that trade + free agent + draft may make EJ the "odd man out" but even so what would be the benefit to cutting him 2 days into FA? Wait until after training camp in case someone loses the Battle of the Bath Mat or gets shoved, falls down and ruptures their ACL. Not that this sort of thing happens to real life QB or anything. :flirt:

Edited by Hopeful

nfl guys called this precisely what it was: a cooked up rumor floated by McCown's agent to get him more money.

looks like they got it right.

Our interest? We were the first to bring him in and every source here seems to agree we were interested. Him signing elsewhere doesn't mean we didn't want him (but I may have misunderstood you)

Our interest? We were the first to bring him in and every source here seems to agree we were interested. Him signing elsewhere doesn't mean we didn't want him (but I may have misunderstood you)

you did.

we were interested, but the eleventh hour report saying a buffalo contract was imminent now seems suspicious.

So let me get this straight:

20 pages devoted to an "IMO" post which hinged on McCown becoming a Bill yesterday.

And now he's a Cleveland Brown.

Let's all move along now until there is actually something to talk about.

20 pages devoted to an "IMO" post which hinged on McCown becoming a Bill yesterday.

So the message board should just stop?

Move along then. No one forced you to read it.

Some of us listen when a guy who has broken news before makes a post.

well said

Leroi has no info on what the Browns were doing. It was expected a done deal until the Browns opened their checkbook.

In which case, Leroi should have posted it as ' both sides close but final deal not done' . The wording of his post implied that both sides have agreed in principle and the paperwork is all that remained. Just tough to justify Leroi's post .

Welp, looks like Leroi's got some splainin' to do, Lucy. Hopefully, the fact McCown is now a Brown will temper how he words his "inside information" moving forward.

I agree. Since the Ryan/Roman posts, he has said that Marrone had a Jags OC offer on the table, that Pegulas 'played' Marrone into leaving and now this impending McCown signing. His track record of accuracy regarding I inside news is highly suspect. As Hopeful stated, he should be careful about howbhe words his posts to delineate between inside news and his analysis/guesses. Given the hit to miss ratio, in my mind his credibility is questionable

In which case, Leroi should have posted it as ' both sides close but final deal not done' . The wording of his post implied that both sides have agreed in principle and the paperwork is all that remained. Just tough to justify Leroi's post .

I agree. Since the Ryan/Roman posts, he has said that Marrone had a Jags OC offer on the table, that Pegulas 'played' Marrone into leaving and now this impending McCown signing. His track record of accuracy regarding I inside news is highly suspect. As Hopeful stated, he should be careful about howbhe words his posts to delineate between inside news and his analysis/guesses. Given the hit to miss ratio, in my mind his credibility is questionable

Last second offer?

Welp, looks like Leroi's got some splainin' to do, Lucy. Hopefully, the fact McCown is now a Brown will temper how he words his "inside information" moving forward.

He never said he had inside information.

Precisely my point. Its how the point is stated. If there was scope for another team to step in, the Bills and McCown were not a done deal as was implied by him

Why could the Bills not "expect" it to be done, and have a complication, like the Browns, arise? He said expect. Clearly, his source expected it. Unforeseen complications don't change that.

He never said he had inside information.

He has built up and cultivates an aura of having such information. Indeed if you leave out the 'IMO' at the end of the OP, it reads as if he does have his ears to the decision room .

Why could the Bills not "expect" it to be done, and have a complication, like the Browns, arise? He said expect. Clearly, his source expected it. Unforeseen complications don't change that.

With that kind of defense, Leroi is in a no-lose situation. If it does come true, he enhances his reputation. If not, there is always the 'last minute' change angle.

I will just disagree with you and leave it at that.

The sense of entitlement some on this board have is dumbfounding. Whenever someone with inside info share it there are always a handful of Nancies who are awfully quick to criticize. Maybe those posters should STFU. Maybe the next guy with an inside tip decides not to waste his time on a bunch of ass holes who will give him nothing but grief for his efforts.

I don't see what the issue with McCown is. As Kelly succinctly put, his info may have been completely accurate when he posted it, and everything that's come out since tends to suggest it was true. If you can't wrap your mind around that maybe it's due to your own intellectual limitations and you may do well not to advertise them.

The sense of entitlement some on this board have is dumbfounding. Whenever someone with inside info share it there are always a handful of Nancies who are awfully quick to criticize. Maybe those posters should STFU. Maybe the next guy with an inside tip decides not to waste his time on a bunch of ass holes who will give him nothing but grief for his efforts.

I don't see what the issue with McCown is. As Kelly succinctly put, his info may have been completely accurate when he posted it, and everything that's come out since tends to suggest it was true. If you can't wrap your mind around that maybe it's due to your own intellectual limitations and you may do well not to advertise them.

It is amazing how angry some posters get when a "inside tip" doesn't work out. Get a life for Gods sake.