Hughes contract in the works according to report.

mellaman101

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to Pittsburgh sports talk radio. This guy covers Steelers but gets tons of Bills news. This guy is always dead on with the Bills and knew about Orton/Rex before ESPN had the news. He is saying they contract is in the final phases and should be done by Tuesday. That is great news if holds!!!!!

Two pages in and we still haven't identified who "this guy" is. Fail.

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.

The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

I so hope this turns out to be true. We need to keep our D-Line intact, and Hughes has been a big help since he got here.

i don't get people who say he's overrated and we don't need him. Yes he plays on a great DL in which others draw a Double team. But he consistency beats LTs 1:1 which isn't easy and is one of the best edge rushers in the league. Not counted in the sack numbers are his QB pressures, hits and general harassment of QBs. And he rally improved against the run. The one negative is his penalties but he also plays with a passion and a chip on his shoulder that I like a lot.

i don't get people who say he's overrated and we don't need him. Yes he plays on a great DL in which others draw a Double team. But he consistency beats LTs 1:1 which isn't easy and is one of the best edge rushers in the league. Not counted in the sack numbers are his QB pressures, hits and general harassment of QBs. And he rally improved against the run. The one negative is his penalties but he also plays with a passion and a chip on his shoulder that I like a lot.

Best tackle in the league is arguably Joe Thomas. Hughes ate his lunch last year.

Best tackle in the league is arguably Joe Thomas. Hughes ate his lunch last year.

Yes and browns fans were jumping off bridges thinking Thomas was done. I kept saying it's just one game, Hughes is good. Now they are jumping off bridges because they all want to sign Hughes in FA (he's like their version of Iupati) and it looks like he won't he available.

Yes and browns fans were jumping off bridges thinking Thomas was done. I kept saying it's just one game, Hughes is good. Now they are jumping off bridges because they all want to sign Hughes in FA (he's like their version of Iupati) and it looks like he won't he available.

I'd like Searcy back, but if letting him go means using that extra money to re-sign Hughes, it's a good trade-off. Also, and this will probably sound silly, but I still have hopes for Meeks it he can just stay healthy.

Agree with everything you said.

Two pages in and we still haven't identified who "this guy" is. Fail.

I never get why people get so salty about a guy posting a rumor on a message board. A lot of the so called experts get it wrong...what's the difference?

Who cares who said what?

I hope it's true and Hughes is back again next year! Let's goooooo buffalooooo

He does play with a chip on his shoulder and is very good, however I still don't think we need him. We have Dareus, Kyle, and Mario already. We have the best pure defensive coach in the NFL who has proven he doesn't even need good pass rushers to have a quality pass rush. Our defense is going to be excellent with or without Hughes. Either way it's the best personnel Ryan has had since he was in Baltimore.

Our offense is garbage. We need another starting OG, a starting OT, a TE who can both block and catch, a young halfback and a starting quarterback.

How many games we win will depend on how much we improve the offense, not on whether we have the best defense or the best best defense. That 9 mil or whatever it'll be can be better allocated in my opinion. No slight on Hughes. This over-emphasis on the D is a mistake Rex made in NJ, and it's scary.

Edited by Aaron

He does play with a chip on his shoulder and is very good, however I still don't think we need him. We have Dareus, Kyle, and Mario already. We have the best pure defensive coach in the NFL who has proven he doesn't even need good pass rushers to have a quality pass rush. Our defense is going to be excellent with or without Hughes. Either way it's the best personnel Ryan has had since he was in Baltimore.

Our offense is garbage. We need another starting OG, a starting OT, a TE who can both block and catch, a young halfback and a starting quarterback.

How many games we win will depend on how much we improve the offense, not on whether we have the best defense or the best best defense. That 9 mil or whatever it'll be can be better allocated in my opinion. No slight on Hughes. This over-emphasis on the D is a mistake Rex made in NJ, and it's scary.

There isn't a choice of signing Hughes or fixing the offense. Both can be done. Signing Hughes doesn't prevent this.

There isn't a choice of signing Hughes or fixing the offense. Both can be done. Signing Hughes doesn't prevent this.

this is where I am at. The only reason it appears to be an over emphasis on the d is because we don't need to pay a marquee QB and can allocate that to a guy like Hughes. If Whaley had a choice between Hughes and a franchise QB he would take the Qb but he doesn't have that choice. We can sign Hughes and upgrade the offense, we just can't manufacture a pricey QB so might as well pay Hughes.OL, TE, and RB can all be obtained in addition to Hughes. He isn't being paid in lieu of those things. Edited by YoloinOhio

We can't sign Hughes and also sign Iupati, Demarco Murray, and Julius Thomas. Hughes may well get more money than any of those guys. Lack of a franchise quarterback aside, I'd much rather add a marquee offensive player who's going to balance the team out a bit and help us score points, than Hughes who is just going to make an outstanding defense a little outstandinger. Again Hughes or not, our record will depend on whether we get it together on offense. We shouldn't IMO be foregoing the best halfback in the league or the best guard in the league for ANY defensive player, let alone Hughes.

We can't sign Hughes and also sign Iupati, Demarco Murray, and Julius Thomas. Hughes may well get more money than any of those guys. Lack of a franchise quarterback aside, I'd much rather add a marquee offensive player who's going to balance the team out a bit and help us score points, than Hughes who is just going to make an outstanding defense a little outstandinger. Again Hughes or not, our record will depend on whether we get it together on offense. We shouldn't IMO be foregoing the best halfback in the league or the best guard in the league for ANY defensive player, let alone Hughes.

i would never sign a RB to a big contract and not sold on doing that for a Julius Thomas or a G either. Draft a RB and sign upgrades at G and TE but breaking the bank for either isn't a good idea. IMO.

You wouldn't be able to sign these 3 anyway.

If it's for less than $9M/year, it's a great deal. And I'm fine with letting CJ and Spikes walk, although I'd rather keep Searcy. I'm not sure why they won't be able to re-sign him, unless he's asking for ridiculous money, which I doubt he'll get on the open market.