Hughes contract in the works according to report.

mellaman101

I'd think spending on Hughes precludes the Bills from signing Revis and it probably means Searcy's gone as well.

It's good they want to keep their own and have their starting RDE under contract. The concern, if you give Hughes big money, is how that contract hinders them from spending on offensive players. Because the Bills don't have the draft resources in 2015 to fill the needs on offense and they'll need to spending in UFA.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never get why people get so salty about a guy posting a rumor on a message board. A lot of the so called experts get it wrong...what's the difference?

Who cares who said what?

I hope it's true and Hughes is back again next year! Let's goooooo buffalooooo

totally agree! this is a forum to discuss bills and football related topics.. rumors are a big part of it.. cannot understand why some get miffed if a report was not properly vetted..

I'd think spending on Hughes precludes the Bills from signing Revis and it probably means Searcy's gone as well.

It's good they want to keep their own and have their starting RDE under contract. The concern, if you give Hughes big money, is how that contract hinders them from spending on offensive players. Because the Bills don't have the draft resources in 2015 to fill the needs on offense and they'll need to spending in UFA.

The Bills have ~$31M in cap space. Hughes cap number this year will probably be ~$5M. They'll have the money to sign anyone, and several anyones.

We can't sign Hughes and also sign Iupati, Demarco Murray, and Julius Thomas. Hughes may well get more money than any of those guys. Lack of a franchise quarterback aside, I'd much rather add a marquee offensive player who's going to balance the team out a bit and help us score points, than Hughes who is just going to make an outstanding defense a little outstandinger. Again Hughes or not, our record will depend on whether we get it together on offense. We shouldn't IMO be foregoing the best halfback in the league or the best guard in the league for ANY defensive player, let alone Hughes.

I'd suggest Hughes is integral to the defense as it stands now--contributing to the ability of other players to play to their elite level. More importantly, that's the way the guy with a stellar reputation for building elite defenses sees it as evidenced by the desire to retain him. I love the message this sends whether it works out or not. Other players will be signed, you've got a very good OC to work the other side of the ball, let's see how it plays out.

You wouldn't be able to sign these 3 anyway.

Right my point is there are players available who will help us score points, which I feel makes more sense. Rex Ryan simply doesn't need Hughes in order to produce one of the best pass rushes in the league. He's done it in the past with less than Mario, Kyle and Dareus. We have real weaknesses and instead are breaking the bank to make our strength a little stronger. Edited by Aaron

Right my point is there are players available who will help us score points, which I feel makes more sense. Rex Ryan simply doesn't need Hughes in order to produce one of the best pass rushes in the league. He's done it in the past with less than Mario, Kyle and Dareus. We have real weaknesses and instead are breaking the bank to make our strength a little stronger.

But Aaron---isn't he telling you he needs him...or at least wants him? Why else the push to sign him?

But Aaron---isn't he telling you he needs him...or at least wants him? Why else the push to sign him?

He is, but he made the same error with the Jets in putting too much emphasis on the defense at the expense of the offense. This is where a GM, Team President or Owner needs to step in and say I have confidence then you can produce one of the best defenses in the league as currently constructed, let's use that 8-9 million to build a running game and make a real run.

He is, but he made the same error with the Jets in putting too much emphasis on the defense at the expense of the offense. This is where a GM, Team President or Owner needs to step in and say I have confidence then you can produce one of the best defenses in the league as currently constructed, let's use that 8-9 million to build a running game and make a real run.

you are assuming Whaley doesn't want to sign hughes. While that could be the case, and Rex is calling the shots, we don't know that. Whaley specifically said they have the money to invest in the DL. It doesn't preclude from spending on offense.

The Bills have ~$31M in cap space. Hughes cap number this year will probably be ~$5M. They'll have the money to sign anyone, and several anyones.

No. We don't have enough money to sign Hughes and anyone else - yet alone the rookies. They alone will take up a good 3-4 million at least.

CAN'T YOU READ?

J.H.C. we re-sign Hughes and they might as well start training camp next week, because the off-season is over, kaput, fini, done! They won't have enough cash to buy trainers tape or put enough air in the footballs yet alone sign ANY other FAs - especially our own.

you are assuming Whaley doesn't want to sign hughes. While that could be the case, and Rex is calling the shots, we don't know that. Whaley specifically said they have the money to invest in the DL. It doesn't preclude from spending on offense.

See - there you go. Wrong! We're in CAP prison!

No. We don't have enough money to sign Hughes and anyone else - yet alone the rookies. They alone will take up a good 3-4 million at least.

CAN'T YOU READ?

J.H.C. we re-sign Hughes and they might as well start training camp next week, because the off-season is over, kaput, fini, done! They won't have enough cash to buy trainers tape or put enough air in the footballs yet alone sign ANY other FAs - especially our own.

See - there you go. Wrong! We're in CAP prison!

yeah I think I give up. People think Ralph is still running the show or something.

You're better than that.

Than what? Not trying to be snarky if that's how it came off. Just feel like I personally am going in circles with my comments so I give up. I do understand your point. Just don't see Hughes contract as a "problem" relative to building the team. It's about the only benefit to not having a QB to pay.

I never get why people get so salty about a guy posting a rumor on a message board. A lot of the so called experts get it wrong...what's the difference?

Who cares who said what?

I hope it's true and Hughes is back again next year! Let's goooooo buffalooooo

totally agree! this is a forum to discuss bills and football related topics.. rumors are a big part of it.. cannot understand why some get miffed if a report was not properly vetted..

It's not a rumor. OP said it was put out there by a

Pittsburgh radio guy that has had info before and failed to mention who pittsburgh radio guy is. Don't be so generous with the salt.

Edited by FluffHead

Than what? Not trying to be snarky if that's how it came off. Just feel like I personally am going in circles with my comments so I give up. I do understand your point. Just don't see Hughes contract as a "problem" relative to building the team. It's about the only benefit to not having a QB to pay.

Not having a QB of course doesn't mean you can spend endlessly. My point was basically that I don't think Hughes will help significantly because our pass rush will be nearly league-best whether he's there or not. I'd rather bring in multiple top-level offensive players so that we're capable of scoring points. But I digress. :)

We don't need that much more on offense, QB aside of course.

We need a decent TE, and one will almost certainly be available in FA. Julius Thomas? Come on. The guy wants to be the highest paid TE in the league. Why in the world would he want to come to a place that doesn't have an established QB? It would take far too much to bring him in, and it wouldn't be worth the money. Someone like Cameron or even Clay (per Buff News) would be more affordable and provide the play needed at the position.

Other than that, we need another G, but from all that has been said by Rex and Doug, they're looking to bring another one in. We don't need to spend crazy money on a Iupati to get what we need at the position and still make the OL a strength.

So...what else? Another RB? No way, not in FA. Not with the current stable we have. A draft pick will fill the need here.

Right my point is there are players available who will help us score points, which I feel makes more sense. Rex Ryan simply doesn't need Hughes in order to produce one of the best pass rushes in the league. He's done it in the past with less than Mario, Kyle and Dareus. We have real weaknesses and instead are breaking the bank to make our strength a little stronger.

They are not breaking the bank. They can sign other players and probably will. Not sure why so many saying Hughes is a product of the other linemen. He is very good and we need to keep him. I could just imagine if he left....same ole Bills!!

Hughes is an accomplished pass rushing DE. He has now done it for 2 consecutive years, so it doesn't appear to be a fluke. A pass rushing DE is valued fare higher than an OG or even 2 of them. They can't pay top dollar for every position and there are no FA QBs worth big $, so spend the money on the important positions (DE being one of them).

Do you think OG Mike Iupati instead of Jerry Hughes would make the Bills a better team?

Not having a QB of course doesn't mean you can spend endlessly. My point was basically that I don't think Hughes will help significantly because our pass rush will be nearly league-best whether he's there or not. I'd rather bring in multiple top-level offensive players so that we're capable of scoring points. But I digress. :)

Obviously your opinion but why do you think this? Hughes is a very good player. Many say that Hughes gets helped by others being double teamed. What happens if Hughes leaves? Who do we have that is better? Again, they CAN still bring in players to help the offense. Why can't you understand that?