Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that what has made Vick better than McCown for their careers is his legs. They are not what once they were. Left to compete arm vs arm as a passer I think McCown has proven himself more accurate as a rule.

McCown is just not that good. If you look up 'mediocre' in the football dictionary you'll see his picture.

I like the McCown move but only because of timing. It's much easier to bring him on board now, a month before FA starts, then further address the position in open FA and potentially the draft.

Basically sign McCown now and tell him he's got a real chance to compete for the job. Then he's under contract and we can talk to the Mallet/Hoyer/Moore/Sanchez/Locker class of FA and tell them they've got a real chance to compete too. That leaves us with 3 guys to hope for competence to emerge. On the flip side, if we just hit FA with EJ it will likely be very difficult to simultaniously negoiate with two FA QBs and we risk not getting any of them.

This. If the contract is cheap enough (a la Kolb deal), it makes for a very nice insurance policy. This is really a pretty good move, not knowing what is going to happen down the line with other FA QB's available. That being said - Rex/Doug wont tie their future to an old vet.

If McCowan is brought in, would they want to make him a back-up or the starter!?

This guy is Orton Part II.

We need a better plan.

As long as we keep picking up middling teams' middling QBs out of the trash bin, we will never go anywhere.

Christ, I'd rather start EJ. At least with him, we don't know for sure if he properly belongs in the trash bin or not.

McCowan is already in it.

Orton, Fitz, Kolb, Jackson, etc, etc.. The only bad thing about the fact that these guys were on the Bills is that they weren't Tom Brady. We don't have much chance at drafting or signing a superstar. The sooner you admit that to yourself, the sooner you can come to terms with EJ. He is young and he is determined.

@ChrisTrapasso: Another interesting McCown stat note. While under pressure in '14 his comp % was 45.8%. Slightly better than Rodgers Brady Newt Staff Flacco

Put this in the stats taken out of Context box.

We should sign him, He is better than Rodgers, Brady. SUPERBOWL!

If McCowan is brought in, would they want to make him a back-up or the starter!?

This guy is Orton Part II.

We need a better plan.

As long as we keep picking up middling teams' middling QBs out of the trash bin, we will never go anywhere.

Christ, I'd rather start EJ. At least with him, we don't know for sure if he properly belongs in the trash bin or not.

McCowan is already in it.

No one is saying "Screw finding a franchise QB, let's just muddle along with career backups". We have to make the best out of a bad situation. There's simply too much talent on this team to realistically think we could end up with one of the top 2 picks without purposely trying to make it happen. Any QB who isn't going at the top of the draft is going to have big questions about him causing him to drop.

Would you rather go with a guy who understands QB in the NFL and try to get to 10-11 wins or go with a completely unproven later round pick and likely win 5-6 games, falling outside of the QB picks? Personally I've seen enough 6-10/7-9 teams with the Trent Edwards and JP Losmans of the world, why not bring in a seasoned guy to attempt to not screw up what the defense is capable of?

Put this in the stats taken out of Context box.

We should sign him, He is better than Rodgers, Brady. SUPERBOWL!

put that comment into the "that's not at all what he's saying" box

McCown is just not that good. If you look up 'mediocre' in the football dictionary you'll see his picture.

if he was that good, he wouldn't be available. On feb 16th.

McCown & EJ can battle it out for #2.

if whaley doesn't do better than that for #1 in 2015, he will be looking for a new job in 2016.

The problem is and has been who?? This draft is terrible for QBs and the FA crop is bad as well. I would love to solve the QB situation but I don't see it happening this year without a trade. Even if they trade for RGIII or someone like that they are going to come with question marks. No team is going to part with a QB without flaws. Some of those guys have had consistency issues and others injury concerns. Anybody that we are looking at will fall into this group.

I know. I said that in my post above this one. I just don't think Vick is even mediocre once you take his legs away (and they are not what they were) that was my point.

KJ- well said. People keep fanasizing that a Rodgers, Manning, Brees, and so on could somehow magically want to come to the Bills.

McCown looked bad last year, but you guys may not know how bad the offensive line was for Tampa. They were by far the worst in the NFL. By week 5 I couldn't watch them anymore. McCown the year before went 13-1 TD to INT. he's smart and makes good decisions so be a game manager with a ground and pound offense. That means we use money to buy a top TE or maybe even two. We also go out and get Lupati. Lupati, Incognito, J Thomas, and Greshem would be an impressive offense with mcCown.

Couple that with this defense with Kiko back and maybe Hughes, we'll go deep.

KJ- well said. People keep fanasizing that a Rodgers, Manning, Brees, and so on could somehow magically want to come to the Bills.

McCown looked bad last year, but you guys may not know how bad the offensive line was for Tampa. They were by far the worst in the NFL. By week 5 I couldn't watch them anymore. McCown the year before went 13-1 TD to INT. he's smart and makes good decisions so be a game manager with a ground and pound offense. That means we use money to buy a top TE or maybe even two. We also go out and get Lupati. Lupati, Incognito, J Thomas, and Greshem would be an impressive offense with mcCown.

Couple that with this defense with Kiko back and maybe Hughes, we'll go deep.

What did he do the prior 12 years to that 13-1 TD:INT Ratio?

If this occurs it is a horrible signing by the FO.

This is clearly heading to be one of those signings that everyone hates but no one has a better solution. McCown is as good as what is currently on the roster. Is he ideal -no? This is a start people and anytime you get a chance to upgrade your roster you need to do it. He is just that. This does not preclude the Bills from going after some of the other flawed QBs in the draft or on the market. If I am forced to have a QB with some issues (which you almost certainly are this year) you are better off having 3 guys like that and play the best one. Bears fans I am sure were not thrilled with the prospect of McCown in 2013 but it worked out fine.

This is clearly heading to be one of those signings that everyone hates but no one has a better solution. McCown is as good as what is currently on the roster. Is he ideal -no? This is a start people and anytime you get a chance to upgrade your roster you need to do it. He is just that. This does not preclude the Bills from going after some of the other flawed QBs in the draft or on the market. If I am forced to have a QB with some issues (which you almost certainly are this year) you are better off having 3 guys like that and play the best one. Bears fans I am sure were not thrilled with the prospect of McCown in 2013 but it worked out fine.

I don't agree that McCown is an improvement over EJ so I see no point in this signing.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever