Jets, Bills to pursue Revis (Update-Signed with Jets)

YoloinOhio

Putting him on 1 side and Gilmore on the other would make a great pairing. McKelvin, Roby and Graham could be depth and nickel situations. It would make the Bills D as good as anyone...

Paying Revis all of that money though would make it almost impossible to see Hughes back.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes over Revis.

Revis is a 1st team all pro and likely future HOFer. He is better than any other CB the Bills have ever had and has been the cornerstone of our HC's defensive system. he has played and been successfully against Brady and the division for all but 2 years of his career. He knows the NE offense intimately. You would rather have a pass rusher who is the only member of the DL not to be named as an all pro? Edited by YoloinOhio

Putting him on 1 side and Gilmore on the other would make a great pairing. McKelvin, Roby and Graham could be depth and nickel situations. It would make the Bills D as good as anyone...

Paying Revis all of that money though would make it almost impossible to see Hughes back.

It sounds wonderful but that is way, way too much money tied up at just the CB position - especially for your (then) 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers. Factor in Revis' deal that would have to get him here, a future extension for Gilmore.... Yeah, no thank you. Revis on this D would be insane but I highly doubt it would happen.

Retain Hughes, sign some top-level FA O-Linemen and give new contracts to those who need them/can be worked.

Revis is a 1st team all pro and likely future HOFer. He is better than any other CB the Bills have ever had and has been the cornerstone of our HC's defensive system. he has played and been successfully against Brady and the division for all but 2 years of his career. He knows the NE offense intimately. You would rather have a pass rusher who is the only member of the DL not to be named as an all pro?

I would rather this team isn't throwing an insane amount of money to a CB who several teams will be vying for the services of.

Investment in the TEAM and not anywhere other than QB is a priority. Our defense doesn't desperately need a CB...

Edited by Smooth

It sounds wonderful but that is way, way too much money tied up at just the CB position - especially for your (then) 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers. Factor in Revis' deal that would have to get him here, a future extension for Gilmore.... Yeah, no thank you. Revis on this D would be insane but I highly doubt it would happen.

Retain Hughes, sign some top-level FA O-Linemen and give new contracts to those who need them/can be worked.

I would rather this team isn't throwing an insane amount of money to a CB who several teams will be vying for the services of.

Investment in the TEAM and not anywhere other than QB is a priority. Our defense doesn't desperately need a CB...

The thing that people are overlooking is that it is basically the same money (maybe a couple of million difference). Hughes is going to be a $12M a year guy. You are either going to have a ton tied up in your DL or your secondary. The question really becomes which player is a better fit in Rex's system Hughes or Revis? You are only going to have one of them but you certainly can afford to have 1 and still address the offense.

The thing that people are overlooking is that it is basically the same money (maybe a couple of million difference). Hughes is going to be a $12M a year guy. You are either going to have a ton tied up in your DL or your secondary. The question really becomes which player is a better fit in Rex's system Hughes or Revis? You are only going to have one of them but you certainly can afford to have 1 and still address the offense.

I think there are other important questions, like how much money do you tie up in one facet of the defense? Another question is, where is the value in the market?

It will probably be easier to find a cheaper replacement for Hughes than it will be to find a real upgrade for the secondary, especially the kind of upgrade that Revis can provide.

and I say all of this as someone who loves what hughes brings to the Bills.

If Revis is truly available, he's the better bang for the buck. Ryan's defenses generate a rush without star edge rushers and it helps to eliminate one side of the field.

If the goal is to finally stop Pats*, then the premium should be on rushing and clogging up the middle.

Good post. It's worth noting also that the Bills have a good LB crew now. Preston Brown was a GREAT pick. Is he a star? No. But he was a good football player as a rookie, which is great value for a third round pick. Anyway, we'll get pressure with or without Hughes in Rex's scheme. I'd love to keep Hughes, of course. I also don't think we really have a shot at Revis.

I felt for Revis on that play -- the ref truly screwed him over. I'm curious to know what the league tells refs about getting out of the way on plays like that. It can't be easy in such an enclosed space. Does anyone know anything about that? Are they supposed to look to get out of the way, or is it all on the player to be aware of his presence? Or is it a mix?

I think there are other important questions, like how much money do you tie up in one facet of the defense? Another question is, where is the value in the market?

It will probably be easier to find a cheaper replacement for Hughes than it will be to find a real upgrade for the secondary, especially the kind of upgrade that Revis can provide.

and I say all of this as someone who loves what hughes brings to the Bills.

I agree with this. The Bills can afford to tie up money in the defense because they don't have a QB taking such a big chunk of money. Even the guys that can be out there this year (with the exception of Cutler) aren't going to kill the cap. I would think that someone like Bradford even would be in the $8M range. It is so easy to fit guys in under the cap if structured correctly.

I love what Hughes brings but he isn't a perfect fit for Rex's system by most accounts. If I had a choice it would be Revis (and that is not taking anything away from Hughes).

I agree with this. The Bills can afford to tie up money in the defense because they don't have a QB taking such a big chunk of money. Even the guys that can be out there this year (with the exception of Cutler) aren't going to kill the cap. I would think that someone like Bradford even would be in the $8M range. It is so easy to fit guys in under the cap if structured correctly.

I love what Hughes brings but he isn't a perfect fit for Rex's system by most accounts. If I had a choice it would be Revis (and that is not taking anything away from Hughes).

while the dollars allocated toward a premium defensive contract this year may come down to Hughes v Revis, I don't even see a decision to be made on which one you sign if it's even close. I think Hughes is a really good player, and not just as a result of the talent next to him. He will succeed elsewhere, his sack numbers might not be as high but I'd expect him to be as effective. But he isn't an elite talent. I see him like a Jairus Byrd type. Would you prefer to have him over, say, Jarius Wynn? Of course. But you also have all pros down the rest of the DL and Rex can achieve a pass rush in some very creative ways.

You juxtapose that with the ability to add a truly elite player AND take that player away from the team you need to beat the most? Hughes will probably go to a team like Atlanta or Cleveland who are desperate to add playmakers on the DL. He will continue to make plays and be a really good player IMO. But there is only one Revis. Trade Leo for a draft pick and go with Gilmore, Revis, Graham, Robey. Bam. Now you have elite talent on the DL, secondary and WR. And still with the cap space to upgrade the OL and TE.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Sign Revis & Pernell McPhee

Resign Spikes & Searcy

Let Hughes walk

McPhee would fit better than Hughes and may likely cost less to sign. Revis would be a dramatic upgrade to the secondary, giving Gilmore a reprieve from having to take the other team's best wr and making us very deep at the position. I have concerns about Kiko's durability and allowing Brown to ease into the MLB 3-4 role would be a nice luxary with Spikes to plug in.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I tend to agree with this. Signing Revis, while intriguing, would be a luxury. I'd rather focus on re-signing Hughes and trying to get another QB. Those are more pressing issues.

Actually, signing Revis might be the best things the Bills can do for the QB position. I say this oddity because what Revis brings is he can strengthen the D to a level like Balt in 2000 where a failed 1st rd pick Trent Dilfer though no one would mistake him for a great QB was good enuf as a middlin thrower to win an SB.

Revis has demonstrated an impact like that of CBs like Sherman who on an island alone shuts down the opposing WR.

With 3 Pro Bowlers on the DL, Alonso coming back to give them 4 LBs in their 3-4 (assuming they resign) if Revis were to come in and be a true lockdown CB is added, the Bills would make EJ the QB we need to post Ws as an adequate QB is all we need to win.

while the dollars allocated toward a premium defensive contract this year may come down to Hughes v Revis, I don't even see a decision to be made on which one you sign if it's even close. I think Hughes is a really good player, and not just as a result of the talent next to him. He will succeed elsewhere, his sack numbers might not be as high but I'd expect him to be as effective. But he isn't an elite talent. I see him like a Jairus Byrd type. Would you prefer to have him over, say, Jarius Wynn? Of course. But you also have all pros down the rest of the DL and Rex can achieve a pass rush in some very creative ways.

You juxtapose that with the ability to add a truly elite player AND take that player away from the team you need to beat the most? Hughes will probably go to a team like Atlanta or Cleveland who are desperate to add playmakers on the DL. He will continue to make plays and be a really good player IMO. But there is only one Revis. Trade Leo for a draft pick and go with Gilmore, Revis, Graham, Robey. Bam. Now you have elite talent on the DL, secondary and WR. And still with the cap space to upgrade the OL and TE.

How long can Revis play at an elite level?

I'll take McPhee and Revis over Hughes and McKelvin any day.

Can buffalo afford it? Yes!

Also sign Clay and a guard

Draft a RB, OL and a QB

Revis is going to command too much money so I don't understand why people feel he's a viable option. McPhee is a risky pick, are we going to get the guy who got 6.5 sacks as a rookie and 7.0 sacks in his contract year or 1.5 or 2.0 sacks in his middle years? I want Hughes back and if we lose him I think he's hard to replace but one name in UFA that interest me would be Derrick Morgan yet the draft is another option. I'd hope a guy like Eli Harold fall to us but he might be out of our reach which means we might take Hau'Oil Kikaha instead.