Aaron Hernandez Trial---*Guilty*

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize the defense was that desperate by the end of the trial. If that's what they really tried to sell, this result holds no surprise.

as hopeful said, not having to prove he pulled the trigger really went a long way towards putting him in a tough spot. there was a bunch of evidence putting the guys together throughout the night leaving him having to essentially say "yea i was with them, but....." as far as i pieced together from the reports i skimmed through.

No different today than at any time in our history (IMO).

Really? Don't you think it's accelerated in the last few years with cable TV and multi-mllion-dollar TV revenue for the big collegiate programs?

It's a gold mine for the schools and their football programs (though surprisingly little seems to trickle down to the education), but it basically completes the divorce between the football program and the notion that the football players are there to get an education and are students like anyone else.

The ultimate losers are the college players, many of whom seem to leave college without adequate education or moral standards to succeed in life.

Edited by Hopeful

Really? Don't you think it's accelerated in the last few years with cable TV and multi-mllion-dollar TV revenue for the big collegiate programs?

Nah, we just know about it. Those who can give us vicarious pleasure through their athletic (or other) exploits have been revered "forever."

Sorry for taking this off topic a bit...

Indeed. In fact, 3 dudes are dead and another "friend" of Hernandez lost his eye

I'm glad Hernandez was convicted - from the evidence shared with the public, the conviction seems justified - but nothing to love about a young man who had everything in the world throwing it away with his gangasta behavior and another young man who was foolish in his choice of associates losing his life.

Is it just me, or does this kind of make anyone else feel said about the path of college sports, esp. football? It seems as though too many kids with football talent are getting protected in HS and college when they engage in egregious behavior, to the point where they're so isolated from the consequences of their actions that they start to believe they're immune and it winds up biting them when they step outside their little college cocoon.

I think a lot of people live in different cocoons in life and have trouble when they are forced to step outside of it, and agree that sports has become an area where that is increasingly a problem. But mostly that just becomes irresponsible behavior that harms only the person himself (i.e., Manziel). Hernandez is another manner. He is simply a violent thug; I don't think his occupation or earning potential had anything to do with it; he'd have been the same killer if he was a bricklayer. And I don't think the fact he was rich and famous makes it any more sad, just more revolting.

It's a gold mine for the schools and their football programs (though surprisingly little seems to trickle down to the education), but it basically completes the divorce between the football program and the notion that the football players are there to get an education and are students like anyone else.

The ultimate losers are the college players, many of whom seem to leave college without adequate education or moral standards to succeed in life.

think about all the high schoolers you see that get dropped from the big schools when the get in trouble. They end up at juco schools and maybe end up transferring to a big school.

Under Massachusetts' "Joint Venture" law, the prosecution was not required to prove Hernandez pulled the trigger, although they cited the location of shell casings and various fingerprints to allege that. A guilty verdict could be found by proving Hernandez "intentionally participated in some fashion and that he had or shared the intent" to commit the crime, Bristol County Superior Court Judge E. Susan Garsh instructed the jury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/aaron-hernandez-found-guilty-of-first-degree-murder-173924220.html

Good summary by Dan Wetzel.

Nah, we just know about it. Those who can give us vicarious pleasure through their athletic (or other) exploits have been revered "forever."

Sorry for taking this off topic a bit...

As I said in another thread:

Sphere o' Beer, I love you man...I'd even give you my bud lite...but "thread drift" has been part of internet bulletin boards since they existed.

If you persist in trying to define and enforce topics for threads and keep them "on topic", well, I kind of admire it, but I think you're going to have a frustrating mod life

Brandon spikes is not happy about this.... hitting twitter with comments about his feelings.

I'll get back on tmrw when yall done fake caring

Let me get off this cus yall wanna joke and **** smh #coldworld

IM CONFUSED ABOUT THE JUSTICE SYSTEM THESE DAYS !!!

Edited by NoSaint

think about all the high schoolers you see that get dropped from the big schools when the get in trouble. They end up at juco schools and maybe end up transferring to a big school.

To a sense, you and Beer Sphere are right that "everyone is equal but revered sports stars are more equal than others" has been going on for years. But now it's not just reverence, it's Big Business for college programs with tens of millions of TV revenue at stake and viewers expect to see star players. Sure, if you're "just one of the team" you're expected to toe the line and behave. How many true "over the top" marquee talents like Hernandez and Winston and Manziel who are bringing in the big ESPN college bucks get JuCo'd? If Chip Kelly were Andrew Luck talented do you think he'd have been kicked to the curb at Clemson?

The relevance to this thread is that I think if Hernandez had gotten some "tough love" to face consequences for his actions back in 2007 when he was punching bartenders and rupturing their eardrums over disputed drinks instead of cover-ups and protection from Urban Meyer and his shills, perhaps he would still be a successful and revered sports star earning millions from the Pats* instead of a convicted murderer facing trial for 2 more murders as he stepped up from punching people without consequence in 2007 to shooting them without consequence in 2012.

But maybe I'm wrong and he's just been an irreclaimable psychopath all along.

Edited by Hopeful

oops not a good luck for a free agent looking for a job

I don't blame the guy at all. His friend and former teammate was convicted of murder. It is pretty natural to not be happy about it. I can't imagine that ANYONE would hold that against him. You are supposed to support your friends. It takes real character to support people when they are at their worst. I know that is the kind of person that I want in my corner when things are not going well.

I don't blame the guy at all. His friend and former teammate was convicted of murder. It is pretty natural to not be happy about it. I can't imagine that ANYONE would hold that against him. You are supposed to support your friends. It takes real character to support people when they are at their worst. I know that is the kind of person that I want in my corner when things are not going well.

Agreed. It's normal for his closest friends/family to actually believe him. It's dumb. But it's still normal.