The chopping block

Thank you, I don't really understand the knocks on Chandler. I get that he's not Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez but he's a consistently solid target.

Chandler is above average at his position. I think it's just the bandwagon that ,"we need to upgrade the TE position". We are by no means set at TE, but cutting Chandler is by no means addition by subtraction, it is pure subtraction.

Eric Wood is going nowhere. He has been voted by the players in the NFL, as one of the most underrated OL in the league, and best at his position. There was an article/vote a while ago. I'm on my phone so am not able to find it.

Urbik is going nowhere he is the best gaurd on the roster, and the position is the weakest.

Fred is safe, and his contract really is modest, so it doesn't make much space.

There is a difference between clearing cap space, and getting rid of guys you don't like. Without a solution other than, "find anybody off the street" is just creating wholes and more weakness. It's moves like a lot of the ones posted that have kept us in the basement for the last decade. Draft solidly and a few role players in FA is the answer, cutting your better players without replacement is not. You don't cut your best gaurd and center, then cross your fingers you find 2 FA without overpaying for mediocrity you more or less already had.

The reality of our OL situation is that I think we have better personel than we are getting output. I think we are above average at LT and C, Average/Servicable at RT and LG (Urbik). We have a HUUUGE need at The opposite gaurd position. Look for similar personel and a huge upgrade in production under Roman and Co. That said I don't think Richardson and CK are answers at this point, but I wouldn't call them busts.

Some of these moves might make more sense next year if we have a good draft this year. Look for us to draft a replacement for KW in the next year or two. His contract is relatively large and he is aging.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess keep him forever. He is 34,injuries piling up, worst ypc of career. It's time.

Biggest thing for me is he looked slow making cuts for the 1st time.

His YPC was basically identical to Spiller's this year and last I checked, Spiller is neither old or slow.

Chandler is above average at his position. I think it's just the bandwagon that ,"we need to upgrade the TE position". We are by no means set at TE, but cutting Chandler is by no means addition by subtraction, it is pure subtraction.

Eric Wood is going nowhere. He has been voted by the players in the NFL, as one of the most underrated OL in the league, and best at his position. There was an article/vote a while ago. I'm on my phone so am not able to find it.

Urbik is going nowhere he is the best gaurd on the roster, and the position is the weakest.

Fred is safe, and his contract really is modest, so it doesn't make much space.

There is a difference between clearing cap space, and getting rid of guys you don't like. Without a solution other than, "find anybody off the street" is just creating wholes and more weakness. It's moves like a lot of the ones posted that have kept us in the basement for the last decade. Draft solidly and a few role players in FA is the answer, cutting your better players without replacement is not. You don't cut your best gaurd and center, then cross your fingers you find 2 FA without overpaying for mediocrity you more or less already had.

The reality of our OL situation is that I think we have better personel than we are getting output. I think we are above average at LT and C, Average/Servicable at RT and LG (Urbik). We have a HUUUGE need at The opposite gaurd position. Look for similar personel and a huge upgrade in production under Roman and Co. That said I don't think Richardson and CK are answers at this point, but I wouldn't call them busts.

Some of these moves might make more sense next year if we have a good draft this year. Look for us to draft a replacement for KW in the next year or two. His contract is relatively large and he is aging.

Chandler is not above average at his position.

In 2014, he was 19th in catches, 18th in yards, 22nd in TDs,..those are all below-average, and he's been trending down in each of the last 3 seasons.

Moreover, I think the team can do MUCH better, and that they need to if the offense is going to improve enough for them to make the playoffs.

Wood hasn't been great but why does he need to take a pay cut? The Bills do not need to clear cap space......some vets are FA who will not be re-signed...

I'd considering keeping Woods and kicking him back to RG where he started his career and bring in former 49ers/Saint (see Roman and Kromer connection) C Jonathan Goodwin to man Center for a season or two. Yet to me Rivers seems like the most obvious cut as he's a 4-3 LB who got little playing time last year and even though Rex admits he likes a hybrid scheme think he'd rather make a former DE playing OLB (see Coples, Calvin Pace and Jason Babin as Jets examples).

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Freddy gets cut. Rex will have the final say and he doesn't necessarily have the loyalty that Marrone and Nate did.

This quote from Whaley at the Senior Bowl sounds like Marrone was the one loyal to Fred :

Q: Why didn't Bryce Brown get on the field more?

Whaley: They did a lot of switching in and out. It seemed like every time a guy would make a big run, they would substitute. I think it was just the rotation of it. Then with Fred being here the longest and knowing the offense the most, I think they felt, in certain situations, more comfortable having him out there. But we're excited this year coming in with the emphasis and commitment to the run game. There's going to be a rotation, but I don't think it's going to be as quick for guys. I think they'll be able to stay in and get a feel for what they're doing and get in a groove.

"They" are gone. And Boobie will probably know this offense better

Translation: FredEx can somehow manage to get a few yards each carry with nothing for blocking. Spiller can't. The OL sucked and they knew it, so FredEx was the go-to guy to pick up a few yards.

Dixon seems like he can be the new Jackson. Biggest thing I loved about Jackson is how he moved to Buffalo and made it home. I doubt we have another leader that does this.

I hate these threads!

It's the harsh reality of pro sports. I read a quote from Pete Carroll yesterday about how they had to let leaders go last year, and next year again will be tough decisions.

I think Pears, Spiller, and possibly Spikes and Hughes don't get resigned (Hughes and Spikes depend on price). As Far as cuts C.Williams will likely be cut due to his salary, I can also see Rivers getting cut due to not being a fit for the defensive scheme. I think Manny Lawson stays till training camp. Lawson was a fit in Pettin's scheme and I think the depth on the front 7 is important to Ryan's defense. So I think they keep Lawson in camp to see if another linebacker could beat him out for that spot.

Interesting to see how many people think Freddie could be a causality. I think no matter what Freddie gets into training camp. Assuming the team lets CJ go even drafting a running back in the 2nd to 4th round still only puts Brown, player X, and Dixon on the roster. Hard to not see Freddie as being a third running back. The guy can catch and grind out yards, and is still decent in pass protection. For an all purpose back he has value. Unless the team resigns CJ I do not see a scenario where Freddie isn't on the team.

Also I don't think Chandler is cut either. Chandler is a really good number 2 tight end and his salary isn't unreasonable. If a tight end gets drafted round 2 it would still help to have a veteran tight end on the roster. Even if the team spends in free agency on a tight end having Chandler for depth helps.

In 2014, he was 19th in catches, 18th in yards, 22nd in TDs,..those are all below-average, and he's been trending down in each of the last 3 seasons.

Moreover, I think the team can do MUCH better, and that they need to if the offense is going to improve enough for them to make the playoffs.

But as the second best TE on the roster Chandler has value. Upgrading Tight end doesn't mean Chandler has no place on the roster. Depth is always key to building a winner. Even if the team drafted a player high or went into free agency to grab a TE doesn't mean Chandler couldn't be used in situations or as depth. His salary isn't unreasonable as far as tight ends go.

Edited by billsfan89

Also consider we will have a Fb. Maybe they use Dixon in that role, but I think we have a true Fb. So Dixon, FB, draft pick, Brown, and FJ.

Marquise Gray could play the FB position. A little undersized but it would save a roster spot. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a look in camp

Too many.

Since there are typically 3 TEs on each team, then there are about 100 TEs in the NFL...based on that, he's well above average.

It's true that SF used a FB so that's interesting. I would like a FB in this offense. Carolina was using one a lot in the playoffs and it really helped. Raiders, GB also come to mind as effectively using the FB.

I agree. Power running without a FB seems like an oxymoron. The one player who would actually benefit from a FB the most is CJ. Running him between the tackles out of sets with a FB in front of him has been very effective historically.

I agree. Power running without a FB seems like an oxymoron. The one player who would actually benefit from a FB the most is CJ. Running him between the tackles out of sets with a FB in front of him has been very effective historically.

What about MarQueis Gray; can he handle the FB chores?