New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

I'm reading the book called SPYGATE by Bryan O' Leary this week. I had heard about it through this site and picked it up today. Wow. I feel like I'm reading the current situation. It's a must read into the Patriots cheating ways.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude seriously, are you so lazy to google it? Here is the exact quote from Aaron Rodgers: Copy and pasted from NBC Sports from googling it.

I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it

So Stop already. This means ANY fines or penalties on the Pats needs to also be applied to the Packers for OPEN ADMISSION of tampering with the footballs above the allowed limits. It also means you need to fine all the teams of all the other QBs that have said they manipulate the footballs too.

This is a stupid topic that would be a non story on any other team. Making it into something its not just because its the Pats doesn't make it more significant...it makes everyone into a bunch of whiners. If you were a Niners fan, you wouldnt even post on this topic Wayne, but because you hate the Pats you are being very biased and want this to be more than it is, which its not.

Its a media story because its leading into a Super Bowl and its the Pats.

But it's not the same. Setting the balls above regulation prior to inspection is different than changing post inspection.

Prior to a snap being taken, Rodgers gives the officials a chance to write the wrong. Think weigh in sports, I can speak to rowing. At the World Champs or the Olympics, lightweights have a weigh in window. Everybody is pushing the upper limits, guys weigh in as heavy as possible. They sometimes get in the scale a few tenths over, cutting it pretty close. They fail the weigh in and have up to 60' to weigh in again. They sweat, and compete within the rules. Rodgers allows the officials to do their jobs and mandate he competes within the rules. There is nothing wrong with that. Now if Rodgers refills the balls post weigh in, that's a different story.

I am a proponent of the game balls being handled by the officials during the game with psi perimeters/specifications from each team. Balls are to be checked again at the half and finish of the game.

Sorry if this has been posted already. Here is a very compelling article on the statistics for fumbles from 2000 through the present. My economics professor used to say Pictures, Words and Number can tell a compelling story. The story here is the Patriots did the equivalent of winning the lottery with their fumble percentage ever since 2007 when the NFL changed the rules to have the offense use their own footballs.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/01/stats_show_the_new_england_patriots_became_nearly_fumble_proof_after_a_2006.html

Sorry if this has been posted already. Here is a very compelling article on the statistics for fumbles from 2000 through the present. My economics professor used to say Pictures, Words and Number can tell a compelling story. The story here is the Patriots did the equivalent of winning the lottery with their fumble percentage ever since 2007 when the NFL changed the rules to have the offense use their own footballs.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/01/stats_show_the_new_england_patriots_became_nearly_fumble_proof_after_a_2006.html

Get with the program! This was posted somewhere around page 73!!!

IN

And TMQ weighs in:

The latest New England ethical lapse -- how many times do the Patriots have to let the whole country down? -- means Bill Belichick henceforth will be Bill Belichick* to this column.

Postscript No. 2: Even the National Federation of High Schools mandates football inflation levels. There's just no way on God's green earth the Patriots did not know about this rule.
"I have no knowledge of anything," Brady said, in remarks that might have been coached by H.R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman.

Postscript No. 4: Andrew Luck's hand size (pinkie to thumb with fingers spread) is 10 inches, Brady's is 9.4 inches. That's a bigger distinction than it may seem. Belichick* leaves nothing to chance. Going into a rain game for the AFC title, he would have known that all other things being equal, Luck would have a better grip on the ball. He wouldn't have known the Patriots would breeze to victory.

More goodies at the link.

Edited by BRH

I honestly believe that there's literally nothing that the Patriots or the league could say at this point to change peoples' opinion that the Patriots cheated. Even if they find out they're definitely innocent they're going to have to spend some time figuring out how to tell the public without making it seem like they're covering for the Pats.

I honestly believe that there's literally nothing that the Patriots* or the league could say at this point to change peoples' opinion that the Patriots* cheated. Even if they find out they're definitely innocent they're going to have to spend some time figuring out how to tell the public without making it seem like they're covering for the Pats*.

Do I need to come over there and smack you??? You are not allowed to post Pats* or Patriots* without the *

Do I need to come over there and smack you??? You are not allowed to post Pats* or Patriots* without the *

Ha sorry I forgot.

As an aside, just found this. I freaking love these videos lmao. The Bills one did years ago is still the best though. This one was obviously created by a Pats* fan but it's still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-n466yCzA8

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

Ha sorry I forgot.

As an aside, just found this. I freaking love these videos lmao. The Bills one did years ago is still the best though. This one was obviously created by a Pats* fan but it's still funny.

"I cant believe I listened to that crackhead Irsay. It's like listening to Gary Busey read fortune cookies."

Haaaaa!

Also, the part at the end where he talks about Kraft putting Goodell in the doghouse shows Pats* fans know that Kraft runs the league, and they have no problem with it.

Edited by sodbuster

PHOENIX -- Former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake says he oversaw the deflation of footballs on the sideline right before games during his career. Speaking on "The Midday 180" out of Nashville, Blake said the practice was common."I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," Blake said. "'Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard. Everybody puts the pin in and lets just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. But it's not the point to where it's flat.

"So I don't know what the big deal is. It's not something that's not been done for 20 years."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12244290/ex-quarterback-jeff-blake-deflating-footballs-common

PHOENIX -- Former NFL quarterback Jeff Blake says he oversaw the deflation of footballs on the sideline right before games during his career. Speaking on "The Midday 180" out of Nashville, Blake said the practice was common."I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," Blake said. "'Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard. Everybody puts the pin in and lets just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. But it's not the point to where it's flat.

"So I don't know what the big deal is. It's not something that's not been done for 20 years."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12244290/ex-quarterback-jeff-blake-deflating-footballs-common

Jeff Blake last played in 2005, two years before the rule change, so maybe the balls may have been brand new and impossible to hold onto right out of the box, but they took steps to remedy that.

You seem to be championing this point that the rest of the league also tampered with balls......which I typically wouldn't be surprised about. It doesn't address the reasons as to why the Patriots had such a decrease to their fumble rate post-2006(coinciding with the rule change), nor does it change the fact that only the Patriots have been caught and therefore should pay the penalty for cheating. With their history, I see no reason to feel sorry for them.

You seem to be championing this point that the rest of the league also tampered with balls......which I typically wouldn't be surprised about. It doesn't address the reasons as to why the Patriots had such a decrease to their fumble rate post-2006(coinciding with the rule change), nor does it change the fact that only the Patriots have been caught and therefore should pay the penalty for cheating. With their history, I see no reason to feel sorry for them.

Apparently no one told the Colts. I'm sick of this "you can't prove it" stuff. They meausred the balls. Period. End of game. They were supposed to be within certain parameters, and they were not. I don't need video, just the knowledge that they didn't pass the test. The PATS FAILED AND ARE GUILTY.