Why isn't Jim Schwartz hired yet?

YoloinOhio

I still think he has a great chance to go to Chicago or even Seattle when that opens. But just surprised he wasn't scooped up already by the likes of the Raiders, Skins, et al.

Btw did anyone else catch the subtle (?) shot Rex took at him in his PC when he said 4th in the league in D for this group was a disappointment?

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting how fans bashed Marrone over and over, yet no one got on Bills management for not giving permission to let other teams to interview Schwartz, I don't recall any other team denying permission for their coaches to be interviewed by other teams, only the Bills did,

That's not true at all. Several team did not allow coaches permission to interview elsewhere.

I saw a report of one today. Don't remember which team. I thought it was strange because it was a position coach looking to interview for a Coordinator spot but it was denied.

If I were Schwartz I sit out the year making $6 million from Detroit and whatever from Buffalo. Relax. Hang with the family. Let last year's defensive performance marinate with some teams. Come back in 2016 as either HC, DC, or maybe even run a college program.

I still think he has a great chance to go to Chicago or even Seattle when that opens. But just surprised he wasn't scooped up already by the likes of the Raiders, Skins, et al.

Btw did anyone else catch the subtle (?) shot Rex took at him in his PC when he said 4th in the league in D for this group was a disappointment?

the Seattle job may be the only one he says OK to.

Schwartz left the team fairly recently and relatively later in the process. The guy was probably taking some time off to weight his options. He got hired by the Bills after two losing seasons in Detroit. You don't think after coordination of a top 5 defense has raised his stock somewhat? Maybe the only issue is that a lot of teams don't run the wide 9. But if a team is running a 4-3 it shouldn't be much of a change to run the wide 9.

Either way expect to hear about the guy getting interviews later this week. I can't imagine a team wouldn't want him.

Edited by billsfan89

Many teams understand that the Bills had a very talented defense before he even arrived and would prefer attacking style defense.Jim is great if you want to rush 3 or 4 guys and play coverage.You need a D-line that has guys that can win one on one and sometimes one on two battles or you end up giving the QB too much time to make throws.A great example of this is looking at our DB Robey in coverage with Pettine"s system (looked good because QB had to make quick decisions) this past year he had to hold he coverage longer and looked average/below average at times.Not all teams have the type of talent on the defense to make Jim's system work well.

Many teams understand that the Bills had a very talented defense before he even arrived and would prefer attacking style defense.Jim is great if you want to rush 3 or 4 guys and play coverage.You need a D-line that has guys that can win one on one and sometimes one on two battles or you end up giving the QB too much time to make throws.A great example of this is looking at our DB Robey in coverage with Pettine"s system (looked good because QB had to make quick decisions) this past year he had to hold he coverage longer and looked average/below average at times.Not all teams have the type of talent on the defense to make Jim's system work well.

When you have the front 4 it's great - see spags in ny. When you don't it ends up spags in New Orleans. I think teams are gun why on the system.

Plus he's been unemployed like 5 minutes.

Good post...and Robey did grade out worse than last year because of the different scheme.

My guess is that he's being very particular about where he goes.

The quality of the DL is critical to his scheme and he's content to bide his time (with two years of salary to tide him over) until just the right situation presents itself...

Schwartz waiting for the right situation. ?

Anyone think he might end up the DC in Green Bay? Capers is on the hot seat after swooning in the waning minutes of the Seahawks game and Schwartz knows the NFC North like the back of his hand.

Anyone think he might end up the DC in Green Bay? Capers is on the hot seat after swooning in the waning minutes of the Seahawks game and Schwartz knows the NFC North like the back of his hand.

Interesting thought but they don't have one good defensive lineman let alone four.

Seattle will have an opening for DC when Quinn takes the Atlanta job

Yeah, but that's not really a good fit for Schwartzy if he wants another HC job.

He should try for a DC position with a crappy team, in the hopes their coach gets canned. Or sit out a year -- he's still being paid by Detroit, right? And Buffalo as well?

A LOT of poster here had no doubt Marrone would get a HC spot in the NFL soon after he opted out. Go figure....

I bet teams look at the talent on the D and concluded that Schwartz was essentially Chance the Gardener in Buffalo. These other teams know they don't have the talent the Bills D has and didn't think Schwartz therefore would be useful.

Points for a Chauncey Gardner reference. Maybe Schwartz just likes to watch.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

interesting how fans bashed Marrone over and over, yet no one got on Bills management for not giving permission to let other teams to interview Schwartz, I don't recall any other team denying permission for their coaches to be interviewed by other teams, only the Bills did,

Huh? The Bills denied the Redskins permission to interview Schwartz for their DC position when he was still the Bills DC, but they had no head coach. That was totally reasonable. And the 49ers are denying the Bills permission to interview Curry.

Pettine got the Bills defense up to #23 in the rankings and that accomplishment won him a HC job.

Schwartz takes over, loses his Pro Bowl safety to free agency and his rookie phenom to injury, and moves the D up to #4 in the rankings.

But he gets barely a sniff for a DC job.

Something doesn't seem right.

Under Schwartz, the Bills' defense went from 10th in yards to 4th, but more importantly from 20th to 4th in points allowed. Despite a worse offense.

There are still DC openings left. But he may just want to take the money he's made from Detroit (likely when Rex let him out of his contract, the Bills were off-the-hook for the remainder) and sit out the season.

Schwartz left the team fairly recently and relatively later in the process. The guy was probably taking some time off to weight his options. He got hired by the Bills after two losing seasons in Detroit. You don't think after coordination of a top 5 defense has raised his stock somewhat? Maybe the only issue is that a lot of teams don't run the wide 9. But if a team is running a 4-3 it shouldn't be much of a change to run the wide 9.

Either way expect to hear about the guy getting interviews later this week. I can't imagine a team wouldn't want him.

Scwartz had 4 out of 5 losing seasons. his stock because he coached in buffalo may not be as high as a Buffalo fan thinks. he was handed a loaded D. he did not build it he merely coached it.

Scwartz had 4 out of 5 losing seasons. his stock because he coached in buffalo may not be as high as a Buffalo fan thinks. he was handed a loaded D. he did not build it he merely coached it.

Agreed. He did a great job here and took the defense to another level. But next to Seattle, we might have the second most talented D in the NFL.

Our defense makes coaches. And if you can't succeed coaching our defense, you are out of the NFL (Wanny).