Reactions you hear at work (for those not in WNY)

stevestojan

Southeast--most people are indifferent which is a better reaction than most Bills hires get. Seem to expect mediocrity with occasionally over-achievements...in other words they expect the Bills to be better than they ever have.

Edited by MoreOffense

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone in BTV and across the action sports industry knows that I'm a die-hard Bills fan.

When Rex was first hired I was getting a lot of "Rex?" "No waaay!" "Ha, Rex!". Over the last several days, that's changed. I've definitely gotten a lot of texts and emails from people that think it's good (and *smart*) hire.

I even got a voice mail from a guy in RI, big Pats fan, that called to say that he heard Rex on the radio and he thinks Bills could have BIG year - if we figure out the QB. Spot on. :D

Also, of Bills nation up here a couple are on board, a couple are not. I'm sure everyone will warm when the season starts to roll around...

Although I am in Long Island and work in Manhattan with mostly Jets fans, the comments were similar to what Hertz got, initially it was laughter and jokes, then as they started watching in unfold, they started to say it was a good hire, and they sound like they miss him already.

So I know the feelings of those in Buffalo. Mainly positive, some hate.

But what I find interesting is here where I live (Virginia Beach) I have yet to hear ANY negative. People who know I'm a bills fan.

"You guys will be relevant again."

"What an upgrade."

"We have no chance anymore" (Jets fan who works for me)

The list goes on. So, outside of the rose colored, or **** colored, glasses, what do the rest of you transplants find the reaction is "around the league."

Here in Maine with all the a$$ hole Pats fans its been 100% negative. HATE the Pats and their fans even more!!!!

The problem with this thread is that we interact with a lot of ignorant football "fans." I mean, if you live in Utah or San antonio, odds are pretty good that most people are fair weather fans.

I would like to know what really knowledgeable football fans think. That means talking to someone who watches football religiously every Sunday for the last decade, has one favorite team, and goes to PFT at least 10 times per day.

See my earlier response, I am surrounded with knowledgeable fans.

For what it's worth, George R R Martin (of Game of Thrones fame) is a big Jets fan. He seemed to think Rex is a good coach who got shafted by the GM and was sorry to see him go, especially to a division foe. But he also isn't too worried because he knows he's in a similar situation without a QB and won't go anywhere without one.

One guy said Rex is the worst coach in the league. But he was also carrying two tickets to Mama Mia in his shirt pocket, and thinks U2 is the worst band in history.

HA! :beer:

For what it's worth, George R R Martin (of Game of Thrones fame) is a big Jets fan. He seemed to think Rex is a good coach who got shafted by the GM and was sorry to see him go, especially to a division foe. But he also isn't too worried because he knows he's in a similar situation without a QB and won't go anywhere without one.

Winter Is Coming.

My A##hole Pats fan buddy says we will suck another 15 years because of Rex.

Can Brady please retire? Without that guy, they'd be in trouble. Someday that Pats will get whats coming to them...

According to a straw poll I just took at an airport bar between a Jags fan (they make those?) and a Ravens fan, they were pleasantly surprised to hear we had a winning record this year and think Rex can get us over the top. Then they asked what pick we have in the first round this year. Uhhh....

New england, they think the bills are a joke and rex makes then a bigger joke.

Same reaction I've gotten from my co-workers in Boston. Sports talk radio in this town sees this as just one more example that the Bills are a laughingstock and not to be taken seriously. "Be glad you glad you aren't a fan of that team" was one of the lines used.

I don't consider Pats fans to be particularly astute or nuanced, since football was invented in 2001 for almost all of them. So I'm not surprised by the reaction.

Edited by KevinInThe781