Reported: Schwartz will be leaving the Bills

Uffalo Ills

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with Schwartz gone. The defense was great but hell a drunk monkey could make that defense look good. I like that Rex is brining in his guy. Less time to "get acquainted" and Rex and Schwartz would have bumped heads... A lot.

they didn't look that good the year before. Schwartz did an excellent job.

Rex Ryan is a big personality and gets all the credit as a defensive guy. This is why Pettine left the Jets to become Bills DC in 2013. He wanted to get credit as a DC and get out of Rex's shadow. So, with that in mind, why would Schwartz want to be under Rex's shadow after leading the Bills to the 4th best defense. At least six teams will be looking for new coaching staffs plus the Steelers need a DC. Schwartz is going to find a DC job where it will be better fit and situation for him. I understand why he is leaving and yeah it sucks.

If it's Schwartz choice to leave because he wants to go somewhere he gets the credit, yeah, I can see that.

If true, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The Rex hire has put this team into full rebuild mode, which is NOT what this team needed. The Rex hire is tearing the team apart, IMO. I just have to hope it won't end up in a disaster.

Waiting a few days, they could have had a shot at Fox, who is CLEARLY a far superior HC than Rex.

I would have liked to have seen Schwartz implement some of his scheme into the Rex Ryan defense. In particular the secondary elements. But the wide 9 and the Rex Ryan 3-4 is about as far different as you can get. On paper it just looks like it won't be a fit, and Schwartz could get hired as a DC anywhere there is an opening.

I think Schwartz did a great job, but the key to that run defense was probably Spikes. If they keep him and Kiko comes back, look for an even more dominant defense. Check that. Look for a dominant defense. Our defense was very good, but not dominant.

But what if Spikes doesn't come back. Also, where does Kiko play in a 3-4 - not the middle , he isn't strong enough. Can he play on the line as an OLB? I'm not sure. I'll admit I don't know enough about how this will work out, but I'm concerned about switching defenses. Not sure we have the right people for a 3-4.

If true, this is my worst nightmare coming true. The Rex hire has put this team into full rebuild mode, which is NOT what this team needed. The Rex hire is tearing the team apart, IMO. I just have to hope it won't end up in a disaster.

Waiting a few days, they could have had a shot at Fox, who is CLEARLY a far superior HC than Rex.

Tearing the team apart? Melodramatic much?

I'm in the here we go again camp. a coach who refuses to use rhe players and their strengths. A 4-3 is well suited for our front four. I am so suck of egomaniacs sticking square pegs into round holes. The D takes a step back and bye bye to Jerry Hughes....

Sad to see Schwartz go, but he should be angry at Marrone more than Ryan or Pegula. St. Doug forced this on the Bills.

There is a common thread here - loyalty. Marrone was probably asked to make changes to his staff before an extension would be considered. It is likely he refused which led to him opting out. Rex comes here and brings his staff with him which squeezes Schwartz out. Loyalty. I am sure Harbaugh was asked to fire Greg Roman in SF (among other things) and he chose loyalty to his staff. Hard to be angry at anyone for exhibiting such a quality.

One step forward two steps back

I was hoping things would change with new ownership and I hope I'm wrong but this is a typical Bills move to change things after finally showing improvement which is just stupid to me

How many teams would change a top 5 defense?

I'll be sick if Schwartz leaves. He is the one that deserved the chance at the Bills head coaching job, and not the guy who just went 4-12.

Although, I can see the defense being just as good this year without Schwartz, and yet I'm not sure how it helps that 20th ranked offense. You know, the one with the bad line, no first round draft pick or veteran QB.

I was hoping things would change with new ownership and I hope I'm wrong but this is a typical Bills move to change things after finally showing improvement which is just stupid to me

I would agree with you if it was anyone BUT Rex. But since it is Rex and Dennis, I'm not worried. I wonder what Rex will do with Jerry Hughes?

Most people would stop after making their first billion. The goal is to be the best and continue to improve.

It's his defense and he is calling the defensive signals and designing the game plans. He's the DC. Thurman is Curtis Modkins.

Then who is the HEAD Coach? I hate a head coach trying to be both a coordinator and a HC---plus Rex want to be GM, too. This really does not bode well for the Bills, IMO.

I bet you most people who are saying we don't have the players for the scheme change were saying the exact same thing last year when Pettine was leaving. We're going from a 3-4 to a 4-3, we're gonna play this stupid wide 9 and we don't have the players for it. Jerry Hughes is too small to play DE and he's going to get killed in the run. We lost Byrd. We have no linebackers and then Kiko got hurt.

I like the HC calling plays on one side of the ball...

What did St. Doug do? Stand there and look forward to punting?

He won 5 more games than Rex this year, for starters.

Then who is the HEAD Coach? I hate a head coach trying to be both a coordinator and a HC---plus Rex want to be GM, too. This really does not bode well for the Bills, IMO.

I was hoping Rex would opt to be more like Mike Tomlin and embrace the gameday "CEO" role. I have stated in a few different places that now more than ever the Bills need an assistant coach feeding Rex information over the headset. Otherwise he is going to get too focused on the defense and that leads to the bad rep around overall game management.

All the whining is just ridiculous. Defense will be just as good or better in 2015. Rex has proven he is one of the best defensive coaches of all time. Think he just sits around and does nothing? Bringing Dennis Thurman over from the Jets as DC. Jets were 5th in the NFL against the run, Bills were 11th. Adding needed pieces to the offense will help as well. Nobody thinks they will get help on the OL or at QB? That's just absurd. Bills are a playoff team in 2015. Bills DC's since 2001- Jerry Grey, Perry Fewell, George Edwards, Dave Wannstedt, Mike Pettine, Jim Schwartz. 0-ZERO-0 Playoff appearances. Everyone just looks at record and says well Bills won 5 more games than the Jets. That's ignorant. If Rex would have been the Bills coach in 2014, Bills are a playoff team. Marrone as the Jets coach, Jets would have been....4-12.

Edited by kasper13

I bet you most people who are saying we don't have the players for the scheme change were saying the exact same thing last year when Pettine was leaving. We're going from a 3-4 to a 4-3, we're gonna play this stupid wide 9 and we don't have the players for it. Jerry Hughes is too small to play DE and he's going to get killed in the run. We lost Byrd. We have no linebackers and then Kiko got hurt.

Not me. I wasn't thrilled with our defense in 2013. Thought Pettine was overrated, Kiko overrated. Was very happy when we signed Schwartz.