Cheatriot at it again

Mij yllek

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they pulled a Billy Martin. Wait until the right day and the right situation to take advantage of an obscure interpretation of the rules and have George Brett/John Harbaugh storm onto the field in anger. I doubt it works again.

Edited by jimmy10

It's not cheating, but the officials should have realized that it gave the Pats an unfair advantage. Running a play out of that unusual formation is legal, no question, but having the referee simply announce that the RB lined up outside the main linemen group was ineligible just before the ball is snapped, is not sufficient notice to the defense to allow them to understand whom to cover. The whole point of having eligible and ineligible receivers is so that everyone understands who is eligible and who isn't.

So the FIRST time this happened, the Ravens were at an unfair disadvantage. Any times after that, these professional athletes and their professional coaches should have had some kind of plan. Even if they had to draw it up on paper on the sidelines, they should have been able to pull something together to counter the formation. For starters, with one of the ineligible linemen deployed off the main group, that left four actual blockers. Blitz away and see what happens.

It's not the fact that they did this that annoys me so very much but rather the smugness. They knew they were cheating at least the first time and we're proud of it. Winning because you Are the better team is honorable. Winning like they did smacks so much of desperation it is pathetic.

It's not cheating, but the officials should have realized that it gave the Pats an unfair advantage. Running a play out of that unusual formation is legal, no question, but having the referee simply announce that the RB lined up outside the main linemen group was ineligible just before the ball is snapped, is not sufficient notice to the defense to allow them to understand whom to cover. The whole point of having eligible and ineligible receivers is so that everyone understands who is eligible and who isn't.

So the FIRST time this happened, the Ravens were at an unfair disadvantage. Any times after that, these professional athletes and their professional coaches should have had some kind of plan. Even if they had to draw it up on paper on the sidelines, they should have been able to pull something together to counter the formation. For starters, with one of the ineligible linemen deployed off the main group, that left four actual blockers. Blitz away and see what happens.

Try that next week and I'm guessing Von Miller is immediately shifted to be right over the ineligible receiver.

I don't know the rule well enough to say whether it was legal, but I think the experts are going to conclude that it was at best a gray area. Belichick's post-game quote was telling: "We used six eligible receivers, but only five were eligible." Oh, ok. In other words, it's not cheating, but it's not not cheating.

I think the refs were as unprepared as the Ravens and the Pats took advantage of that.

its not cheating, its smart. as much as I hate to say it but brady is right they did nothing wrong. they exploited a loophole In the rules

Have you analyzed the rule? Are you sure that what they did was consistent with the rule? If so, please explain. I am not saying you are wrong, but I have yet to read a convincing explanation that it was legal. See Belichick quote above.

It is bush league at best and an admission that ravens are a better team .. It took a fifteen yard penalty for harbaugh to at least give his d a fair chance .. Guarantee this will result in a rule change. But it go the taper of closed practices a chance to lose next week .. We should just do it back to him . And steal his signals . Tape his walk throughs and .. Nah .. Epuld rather lose straight up than steal it w cheap crsp

Is harbaughs argument simply that the pats weren't giving them enough time to figure out the plays pre-snap, not that they were truly illegal?

If so, it seems that he's the one being silly, not the pats

Edited by NoSaint

So they were creative and it was hard to react to on the fly because the defense wasn't prepared? Sounds like when the Dolphins beat them with the wildcat.

The only problem I have with it is did they have time to notify the defense. Usually they announce it when a tackle reports eligible, surely they should notify the defense when a receiver reports ineligible. Flaw in the system and they found it. Kudos to them.

The only problem I have with it is did they have time to notify the defense. Usually they announce it when a tackle reports eligible, surely they should notify the defense when a receiver reports ineligible. Flaw in the system and they found it. Kudos to them.

But the ref was handling it the same as a tackle eligible, no? Just the pats were hurrying up and the ineligible guy wasn't always in the same spot so it was hard for the safeties/linebackers to sort out responsibility in a hurry up

Essentially they risked 4 blockers in exchange for confusion and the Ravens simply never were coached how to handle it

Edited by NoSaint

So they were creative and it was hard to react to on the fly because the defense wasn't prepared? Sounds like when the Dolphins beat them with the wildcat.

Except that the wildcat was indisputably legal. Despite the NFL's pronouncement, I think the jury is still out in this. I think it will boil down to whether you consider exploiting a gray area to be "cheating". Many people do.

Except that the wildcat was indisputably legal. Despite the NFL's pronouncement, I think the jury is still out in this. I think it will boil down to whether you consider exploiting a gray area to be "cheating". Many people do.

What is illegal about it, besides no one having done it yet? The article left out the rule but it seems the pats looked at it, the refs agreed (I'm sure they told the refs pre-game too) and even harbaugh seems to be arguing that it wasn't very nice, not that the formation was illegal.

If the roles were swapped and the Ravens pulled it I suspect the board would be celebrating and calling the pats whinersx

But the ref was handling it the same as a tackle eligible, no? Just the pats were hurrying up and the ineligible guy wasn't always in the same spot so it was hard for the safeties/linebackers to sort out responsibility in a hurry up

Essentially they risked 4 blockers in exchange for confusion and the Ravens simply never were coached how to handle it

The hurry up helped with the confusion, if you watch the head Referee he is talking with Pats* RB and I don't think he notifies the defense. I don't know if they have to the only reason I say they would have to is because they notify the defense when a tackled is eligible. You can hear it over the PA.

Like I said, kudos to them.

NFL says substitutions were legal.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12150444/2014-15-nfl-playoffs-league-says-new-england-patriots-substitutions-vs-baltimore-ravens-legal

I wonder if Fox or Pagano will read the rulebook prior to next week's game?

"Legal," yes. In that it was within the rules.

But it was also a use of the rules in a manner in which they weren't intended to be used. It wasn't "playing the game" as much as it was "gaming the system." And that's cheating.

But it was also a use of the rules in a manner in which they weren't intended to be used. It wasn't "playing the game" as much as it was "gaming the system." And that's cheating.

I think that's why I hate that team.

It's always some technicality that they benefit from.

Guaranteed that was meant for Denver in case Manning mans up in Foxborough

Everybody games the system as often as they can......businessmen, politicians and sports teams. Law of unintended consequences when implementing a rule/law.

What is illegal about it, besides no one having done it yet? The article left out the rule but it seems the pats looked at it, the refs agreed (I'm sure they told the refs pre-game too) and even harbaugh seems to be arguing that it wasn't very nice, not that the formation was illegal.

If the roles were swapped and the Ravens pulled it I suspect the board would be celebrating and calling the pats whinersx

i will be honest: I have not carefully studied the rule and analyzed whether what they did violated it or was merely contrary to its spirit. I think the rule is confusing to begin with. It seems to me that the Pats were operating in a gray area and that the refs themselves were confused and let them get away with it.

i will be honest: I have not carefully studied the rule and analyzed whether what they did violated it or was merely contrary to its spirit. I think the rule is confusing to begin with. It seems to me that the Pats were operating in a gray area and that the refs themselves were confused and let them get away with it.

I just read through them and it seems pretty basic that its legal but coaches didn't want to risk a 4 man line. The ineligible player checks in, the ref notifies a defensive captain and you play ball. That the Ravens werent prepped for it seems to be the only issue.

The first fake fg, first flea flicker, first wildcat were all the same thing, it seems like

Edited by NoSaint

Oh please, if the bills did this you all would be talking about how smart it was.

Oh, of course. But it was still cheating.

I just read through them and it seems pretty basic that its legal but coaches didn't want to risk a 4 man line. The ineligible player checks in, the ref notifies a defensive captain and you play ball. That the Ravens werent prepped for it seems to be the only issue.

Not only that, but you'd think any team posed with a bizarre formation that !@#$s up their coverage like that would call a time out.

Oh, of course. But it was still cheating.

if you think following the rules to deceive an opponent is cheating, then yes. So was that Amendola pass though. A WR throwing a ball? Cheating. Rules were not intended to have WRs throw the ball.