NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

Paranoid much? It's a little more than conjecture, dude.

I'm not paranoid, dude. But contract stuff breaks down all the time. 2 years ago, KC and Chip Kelly were a done deal the twitter verse told us only to fall through.

I like the Rex hire if/when it happens. But just because Adam Scherfter says it, doesn't make it so.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did not have a great D this year. His CBs were the worst in the league and constantly abused.

Total yards allowed. Bills ranked 4th in the NFL. Jets ranked 6th.

Rushing yards. Jets ranked 5th in the NFL. Bills ranked 11th

Passing yards: Bills ranked 3rd in the NFL, Jets ranked 14th

That's not sucking. Those are very comparable stats. And a defense that should have certainly helped to win more than four games.

I don't take it as an insult .. Thought is was funny because everyone I know complains how lazy I write or text .

Would I take the time to translate a phrase just for you if I didn't ?

I think the iPhone changes words on me w the wonders of auto fill and sp ck.and I was too lazy to retread my text which I should've ... no one give me sht so keep it coming

Anyway .. Rex is a trust fundbaby in a billionaires league with hired field hands drug dealers and gym rats that become millionaires from poverty if Rex or any other coach puts them on the team .. Lots of power and responsibility that unfortunately defines people in an exaggerated way and has made me love the game less

Schwartz seems like a cool guy he just look like a jerk w harbaugh and anything like that would lose a very intelligent guy the team (like being carried off the field) he may be a great guy but he has issues and I will be thrilled if his opinion still counts .

Marrone is just a guy that has been burned and unfortunately takes it personally instead of confronting his accuser which makes him a bad example for young men or a great cautionary tale. . It's a new start for guys like Hughes who is probably a jerk a possibly a cancer w talent or he would be Indy but he may be self aware and a reformed young man . He is a damn good football player and I'm glad we have him. Anyway marrone being gone helps us both. It would have been a nightmare if he was exposed during a losing streak . He is probably a good guy but getting all that power turned his idiosyncrasies into major problems like .... Captain Queeg sp?

Woody can't have Queeg as a coach in NYC but I bet he gets a job in jax or somewhere he is loved unconditionally .. I bet woody was disappointed because marrone prob has good ideas that are unpopular like coughlin ..

Just wanted to be completely clear so we can communicate. I do appreciate your opinions. I hope for all our sakes that Rex will fill the bill .. I really think he might and as others have stated ...at least it will be entertaining .. Thanks hopefully less mistakes but too long

Total yards allowed. Bills ranked 4th in the NFL. Jets ranked 6th.

Rushing yards. Jets ranked 5th in the NFL. Bills ranked 11th

Passing yards: Bills ranked 3rd in the NFL, Jets ranked 14th

That's not sucking. Those are very comparable stats. And a defense that should have certainly helped to win more than four games.

And given that his secondary was on fumes those numbers, compared to a remarkably healthy Bills team seem pretty impressive.

You mean, he took a team that was 9-7 the year before taking over to another 9-7 season with a high 1st round draft pick QB? And they improved in his next season, though the end result was the same---a loss in the conference championship. Those seasons were won mostly by D and adequate play by Sanchez.

Since then, Rex has been, mostly, a disaster as a HC. This past season he was pitiful. Had a great D--like the Bills. Had poor QB from a young QB and a vet --like the Bills. Had decent OL play--not like the Bills. Had healthy starting RBs nearly all season--not like the Bills. And his team TANKED. It was an embarrassment of a HC job. And please, don't tell me Rex was a lame duck. He lost the job, THIS YEAR---by sucking harder than in the past two. Maybe that was his plan.

But my biggest concern is that Rex brings nothing to the table that the Bills need now. They already have a great D. In that regard, I think Rex can only get in the way. I can't see him improving it at this point. And he is useless as an offensive coach. This was a celebrity hire. Nothing more, IMO.

the jets didn't really have a great D. They had the DL to stop the run. Did you see what they were rolling out there as a "secondary" this year though... Edited by YoloinOhio

And given that his secondary was on fumes those numbers, compared to a remarkably healthy Bills team seem pretty impressive.

Agreed, the defensive numbers look impressive. The wins do not. And again, he was dealing with healthy RB, a better OL and two QBs most thought were better than what the Bills were working with.

Rex ain't coming here to fix the D.

True, but he doesn't have to. What he brings is stability in weird way. With or without Schwartz now this team is in very capable hands on the defensive side of the ball and that's important considering that's where the bulk of the roster's talent currently lies. It's a safe hire in that sense as it secures the team's strength.

Just watched vid someone posted. Rex has a pair and he's funny in a trust fund baby you can't touch me way . I think the bills could use a little f u to guys like sully while Schwartz and Roman and Whaley do the heavy lifting behind the scenes .. I'm coming around to the mindset at one and two bills drive .. Pretty cool.. I'm gonna get punched in the face with that buffalo reality but I like it anyway .. Golf clap to terry and one Doug

Agreed, the defensive numbers look impressive. The wins do not. And again, he was dealing with healthy RB, a better OL and two QBs most thought were better than what the Bills were working with.

I completely agree Dean. Unless Rex turns this defense into a historic 2000 Ravens or 86 Bears defense, I don't see how he helps us. Some say, "well at least we don't have to worry about our defense." We were top 3 last season with a garbage offense. How could you be worried at all?

Our defense is not the problem. Our offense is. And we're in the exact same situation we were in two weeks ago, needing a top flight OC and more talent on offense.

To me, this is like the Packers hiring Chan Gailey as HC. What is even the point?

Edited by FireChan

True, but he doesn't have to. What he brings is stability in weird way. With or without Schwartz now this team is in very capable hands on the defensive side of the ball and that's important considering that's where the bulk of the roster's talent currently lies. It's a safe hire in that sense as it secures the team's strength.

A very weird way. :lol: Somehow when i think of Rex, "stability" isn't the word that springs to mind.

Just watched vid someone posted. Rex has a pair and he's funny in a trust fund baby you can't touch me way . I think the bills could use a little f u to guys like sully while Schwartz and Roman and Whaley do the heavy lifting behind the scenes .. I'm coming around to the mindset at one and two bills drive .. Pretty cool.. I'm gonna get punched in the face with that buffalo reality but I like it anyway .. Golf clap to terry and one Doug

I have stated, this might be where Rex helps the Bills as they have never had much "Swagger". And Rex has far too much of it, IMO. I can't really see how he adds anything else of use to this team as a HC, but if that rubs off on the team it could work.

Great point, man.

What would be the difference if Schwartz was promoted?

I wanted Rex all along.

Players love to play for him..... he must be doing something right.

Say what you want but Geno is doing better than EJ at this point. My hope for this season is that he can Coach E.J. up.

You know what, I think he can. Or at least hire an good OC, that's gonna be big.

Marrone didnt want EJ or know how to make him better.

All I know is Rex is a good coach. Any improvement from EJ who was 2-2 this year BTW we can be a playoff club next year.

Another point to consider: if it all goes horribly wrong with Rex, Pegula will not hesitate to throw him out the door and eat the remaining years/$ on the contract. He has proven that several times already with the Sabres.

This is not really a 5 year commitment. If previous Bills ownership was still in place, it probably would be.

Not with Pegula. If it doesn't work and starts to look bad, Ryan is gone, and we are right back where we were as of yesterday.

No big deal.

This is just one of MANY ways Pegula and his money helps us and changes everything with the Bills organization.

Hey son, you should try another occupation.

I agree with your caption.

Which raises the question: what do the Bills have in mind for QB next year, and why was it good enough to make Rex think "this could work?"

I am dying to find out what the QB plan for next year is....and I am praying it is something other than "We will continue to develop EJ and plan to start him in Game 1."

True...He's coming here to be a HC...And hopefully he learned a lot in his first stint...

I think he sees the talent on Offense and probably assumes he can get more out of that group than Marrone did with a legit OC...But no doubt the key question here is what can Rex do to help this Offense...And I'm completely unaware of the answer...I've looked over the Jets stats a bit today and the most glaring stat to me outside of their Pass Offense, which was basically nonexistent, was their three and out percentage...They were 4th worst in the NFL...The Jets went three and out 26.34 percent of the time on drives...More than one out of every four drives was three and out...Ouch!...Then again the Bills were not much better...24.87%...Roman's Offense in San Fran was 13th best in the league with a 19.1 three and out percentage...

So...anyway...it's all about the Offense...Again...We'll see I guess...But I'm certainly not convinced Rex can fix it based on his history...Hopefully he's learned something we don't know about... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Rex is a players coach, but lets be quick to define how he is a players coach as we heard the same things about Jauron. It's not because he's soft or a nice guy, it's because he relates to his players. What a great feeling it must be for players to have a Coach like Rex, brash, confident, and imperfect, acting completely different then the other 32 coaches in this league, most of which will put you to sleep. He says the wrong thing, he says whats on his mind, he's emotional and unapologetic. All things I feel players find refreshing. Pete Carroll is a players coach, not in the same ways Rex is, but in similar ways as far as how much his players relate to him. As for his past, several exceptional coaches have found greatness in the second go. What a learning experience New York must have been for Ryan. Now we get to be the beneficiaries of that knowledge. A lot of times it's just little things, little things that can go a long way. For example I all but guarantee Rex V. 1.0 would have never considered the notion of retaining Schwartz. I think Rex V 2.0 is smart enough not to break something that is this good. He doesn't need his fingerprints all over the defense. It doesn't have to be the Rex Ryan lead Bills defense. I think he's content just having a great defense and winning. On top of it all, clearly that path must go thru New England, a team led by a defensive coach who struck gold after initial failure, the same situation we hope to see in Rex. Well if anybody can devise a plan to bother Brady/New England/BB it's Rex. Do not underestimate how much that played a role in this. If New England didn't make us a whipping boy for 10+ years this team would have made the playoffs, maybe a couple time. We have had some solid starts since the drought started, whats been consistent is NE crushing those solid starts and our inability to play for a division title because of the dominance the Patriots have over us. Even during our best stretches since the playoff drought, the best I ever thought was Wild Card. NE just made the division seem like and impossible goal.