So how many catches does Odell Beckham have if a Bill

and plays 12 games? I've gone through the stats and targets for the year in other posts. We know people here note SW's drops (4) and I thought he had 15 by the comments. ODB had 2.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

ODB Caught 70% of targets vs. 50.8% for SW.

So as the title states, how many catches does ODB have on Buffalo?

A fair assumption based on these stats is 45 at best and we'd wonder if we should've drafted an Offensive Lineman.....

Yes these non-stop comparisons drive me batty!!!

Edited by Billsfan1972

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's look at the last 7 games of the year. Beckham is targeted 94 times with Eli Manning as his QB, while Watkins is targeted 50 times with Orton - who, quite honestly, had severe accuracy issues over the last half of the season. My guess is that, if they traded circumstances, the results might have been reversed. However, comparing the circumstances of these two this year is like comparing apples to rocks...

I can see saying that maybe they reversed teams, their stats would have reversed, but to state that Watkins is better is silly, so far.

Trading that #1 remains a colossal error because it was predicated on EJ blossoming.

and plays 12 games? I've gone through the stats and targets for the year in other posts. We know people here note SW's drops (4) and I thought he had 15 by the comments. ODB had 2.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

ODB Caught 70% of targets vs. 50.8% for SW.

So as the title states, how many catches does ODB have on Buffalo?

A fair assumption based on these stats is 45 at best and we'd wonder if we should've drafted an Offensive Lineman.....

Yes these non-stop comparisons drive me batty!!!

They must be driving you batty if you think you're being logical here.

What would make you think that's a fair assumption, 45 at best? The assumptions being exposed here are your own, that the percentage is so high because of Eli rather than Beckham.

If it's Eli, his other WRs will have similar percentages, naturally. Beckham catches 70 of the passes he's targeted with. How about the other Giants WRs?

Rueben Randle 71/127

Preston Parker 36/56

Victor Cruz 23/41

Nah, it's Beckham. He is terrific, and he catches everything near him.

Don't get me wrong, it helps Beckham to be with Eli and it hurt Sammy to be with Orton and Manuel this year.

But Sammy caught 65/128

Woods 65/104

Hogan 41/61

Mike Williams 8/19

Beckham caught a much higher percentage than his fellow WRs. Sammy not so much.

Here's another one. How does it make sense that Beckham caught 70% of his targets and Sammy 50.8%, when the Giants QBs completed 63.1% of their passes and the Bills QBs completed 62.7%?

It doesn't.

Edited by Thurman#1

Exactly what Sammy had. The Giants in the last month made ODB the focal point of the passing game and arguably the entire offense. The Bills refused to target Sammy religiously. ODB had 21 targets in his last game. Sammy had 30 targets in four December games and ODB had 53.

Exactly what Sammy had. The Giants in the last month made ODB the focal point of the passing game and arguably the entire offense. The Bills refused to target Sammy religiously. ODB had 21 targets in his last game. Sammy had 30 targets in four December games and ODB had 53.

I like Sammy, don't get me wrong.

But I'd be more likely to target a guy who caught 70% of the passes thrown to him, a much higher percentage than any of the other WRs on his team, than a guy who caught 50.8% of the passes thrown to him, a below average percentage for the WRs on his team.

Sammy Watkins gets college open, than an uncatchable ball. I don't want to compare players. I think ODB is great. He may have the best hands in the game, that doesn't take away from Sammy, and what he endured this year. Both will have great careers. I take Sammy all day.

That being said, ODB wins rookie of the year. How does he not?!

But I'd be more likely to target a guy who caught 70% of the passes thrown to him, a much higher percentage than any of the other WRs on his team, than a guy who caught 50.8% of the passes thrown to him, a below average percentage for the WRs on his team.

Not that the guy throwing the ball has anything to do with those stats...

I like Sammy, don't get me wrong.

Downfield passing accuracy has a HUGE impact on the catch percentage--you know that. Eli is willing and able to push the ball down the field accurately, whereas neither Orton nor Manuel were.

I know it's not the best barometer, but just look at the air yardage difference between the QBs:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2014/

They must be driving you batty if you think you're being logical here.

What would make you think that's a fair assumption, 45 at best? The assumptions being exposed here are your own, that the percentage is so high because of Eli rather than Beckham.

If it's Eli, his other WRs will have similar percentages, naturally. Beckham catches 70 of the passes he's targeted with. How about the other Giants WRs?

Rueben Randle 71/127

Preston Parker 36/56

Victor Cruz 23/41

Nah, it's Beckham. He is terrific, and he catches everything near him.

Don't get me wrong, it helps Beckham to be with Eli and it hurt Sammy to be with Orton and Manuel this year.

But Sammy caught 65/128

Woods 65/104

Hogan 41/61

Mike Williams 8/19

Beckham caught a much higher percentage than his fellow WRs. Sammy not so much.

Here's another one. How does it make sense that Beckham caught 70% of his targets and Sammy 50.8%, when the Giants QBs completed 63.1% of their passes and the Bills QBs completed 62.7%?

It doesn't.

I couldn't find better stats, and there is something wrong with these splits from ESPN, because it only counts 79 of his 91 catches. But counting only 79 of them, OBJ caught 17 passes behind the line of scrimmage. So I imagine with the 12 extra, which may have been the last game they didn't count, over 20 of his catches, which are about 95% target completion, were behind the line.

Watkins caught 4 balls behind the LOS.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/16733/odell-beckham-jr