If Carolina advances further - playoff expansion.

Talley56

28 members have voted

1. 1. Carolina's success - help or hurt?

• Hurt - adding more teams might open the door for mediocre teams who don't deserve it to win/diminishes regular season
    • Help - shows that more than just the top 6 teams are capable of winning it all

So the discussion has come up many times around the NFL and on this board about expanding the playoff field to 7 or 8 teams per conference. While I am completely against expanding the playoff field, if Carolina surprises Seattle this weekend and even goes as far as reaching the Superbowl how do you think it will help or hurt any chance at expanding the playoff field.

I'm thinking it could go either way. It could hurt chances as some might look at this and say if you add more playoff teams you're opening up the door for more teams who are mediocre and really didn't deserve a shot at winning it all thus taking a lot of importance out of the regular season. It could also help chances as the NFL might look at Carolina and think that if they were good enough more lower tier teams deserve a shot.

I know Carolina is kind of a unique situation as they benefited from a soft division but there have been 8-8 wildcard teams as well.

I don't see Carolina advancing as affecting the debate one way or another, except maybe being another nail in the coffin of the idea that a mediocre division winner doesn't "deserve" a playoff spot.

As far as playoff expansion, I think it would be a big mistake. 12/32 teams in the playoffs is a pretty generous percentage already, and expanding more (especially to 8 per conference) would just be ridiculous.

I've made the argument before to expand the playoff teams. I still think it's a good idea because it adds what the NFL attempts to preach, parity. Have 8 teams, get rid of the first round bye and the break between the AFC/NFC championship and superbowl. Season still ends at the same time. I don't see how the NFL wouldn't want to add more teams to the playoffs since it would also increase the amount of money they are making.

I've made the argument before to expand the playoff teams. I still think it's a good idea because it adds what the NFL attempts to preach, parity. Have 8 teams, get rid of the first round bye and the break between the AFC/NFC championship and superbowl. Season still ends at the same time. I don't see how the NFL wouldn't want to add more teams to the playoffs since it would also increase the amount of money they are making.

Or make it like college. Have all 32 teams make the postseason tournament. Regular season determines seeding. It would only take 5 weeks to play through, no longer that the playoffs are now.

the new format is designed to limit the power of the weak division winners as they will be seeded differently and not have a home game. If anything, how the NFC has shaken out will strengthen opinions in favor of the new format.

NFC would be

Seattle - bye and Home field

Green Bay

Dallas

Arizona

Detroit

Philadelphia

Carolina

So Carolina would be @ Green Bay to start the playoffs, if they won, would need to go to Seattle. Philadelphia, who had a better record than Carolina would have gotten in and played Dallas. Arizona would have hosted Detroit. Sounds fair to me.

AFC would have been

New England - Bye and Home Field

Denver

Pittsburgh

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Baltimore

Houston (I think)

Wouldnt have made too much difference in the AFC, really. Other than letting Houston in and taking the bye from Denver.

Edited by May Day 10

Or make it like college. Have all 32 teams make the postseason tournament. Regular season determines seeding. It would only take 5 weeks to play through, no longer that the playoffs are now.

That would be amazing!!!

Think about all of the money that this would generate! It would be a gamblers wet dream! Brackets for the NFL Playoffs?!?! You could even stretch it into 6 weeks to still have the week off for the SB. Now I'm sad this will never happen :cry:

That would be amazing!!!

Think about all of the money that this would generate! It would be a gamblers wet dream! Brackets for the NFL Playoffs?!?! You could even stretch it into 6 weeks to still have the week off for the SB. Now I'm sad this will never happen :cry:

I would be all in on this. Especially the brackets for the NFL.

Just not a fan of expansion. I like having 2 bye teams and I just think it takes away from the regular season. When I look at this year, with 7 playoff teams, the Eagles would have made the playoffs in the NFC. I do think they had a season deserving of a playoff berth (especially considering the fact that they not only had a better record than the Panthers but the slaughtered the Panthers). In the AFC the Texans I believe would have made it. I just don't think they had a season worthy of a playoff berth. Again, I know Carolina didn't either but I just think 6 teams is usually the best number to include truly deserving and keep out the truly mediocre.

Edited by Talley56

often is not the best record but riding momentum playing well at the end of the season etc.

some years some deserving teams don't make it....some years you can't find 6 good teams in each conference. I'd keep the playoffs the way they are. If you want to examine teams schedule you'll find most teams in the playoffs still just beat the bad teams and lose to the top ones...get to 9 or 10 and in

I don't see Carolina advancing as affecting the debate one way or another, except maybe being another nail in the coffin of the idea that a mediocre division winner doesn't "deserve" a playoff spot.

As far as playoff expansion, I think it would be a big mistake. 12/32 teams in the playoffs is a pretty generous percentage already, and expanding more (especially to 8 per conference) would just be ridiculous.

I feel 12 is right at that sweet spot. Enough teams don't make it to feel elite but enough teams stay in the race where you have enough teams staying alive late in the season. The Bye weeks also keep the top teams jocking for position late into the season.

I agree with most of this. If the league want's parity, then it is unfair to keep the playoff pool so small as it deprives very close teams the opportunity to play. A fumble here or interception there, or bad officiating can literally keep a team out of the playoffs. Hockey lets 1/2 of its teams in the playoffs, and sometimes the low seed wins it all. It could happen in football. ( I'd keep the first round bye though to encourage teams to fight to win the AFC/NFC)

I'd love to see a clause where any team under .500 cannot advance into the playoffs. Therefore, that division does not send a team to the playoffs and the next wildcard team assumes the lowest rank while the highest wildcard team earns home field in wildcard weekend.

I know it's only happened twice in NFL history, but I find it ridiculous a below .500 team has a legitimate shot at the title.

I'd love to see a clause where any team under .500 cannot advance into the playoffs. Therefore, that division does not send a team to the playoffs and the next wildcard team assumes the lowest rank while the highest wildcard team earns home field in wildcard weekend.

I know it's only happened twice in NFL history, but I find it ridiculous a below .500 team has a legitimate shot at the title.

If this is really an issue (which it isn't), a better solution is switching to 8-team divisions, with 4 wild cards per conference. On the other hand, your solution is unnecessarily complicated, so I could see why the NFL might go for it.