Repect to Don Shula!!

Don Shula calls Bill Belichick “Beli-cheat”

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 8, 2015, 12:09 PM EST
donshulareuters-e1316777906786.jpg?w=228Reuters

Since the 2007 Spygate controversy, Patriots coach Bill Belichick has been referred to as “Beli-cheat” a number of times, but usually by fans of rival teams. Not by Hall of Fame coaches.

But that’s the name Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history, uses to refer to Belichick.

Dave Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel writes in a profile of Shula at the age of 85 that when the subject of Belichick came up, that unflattering nickname was Shula’s response.

“Beli-cheat?” Shula says.

Shula’s 1972 Dolphins have the only perfect season in NFL history. Belichick’s 2007 Patriots, who went 16-0 in the regular season but lost in the Super Bowl, were the team that came the closest to joining the ’72 Dolphins with a perfect season. And Shula apparently thinks that Belichick, whose team got caught that year taping opposing coaching signals, achieved his success using something less than sportsmanlike means.

It’s not something we would have expected to hear from Shula, who rarely speaks out or makes waves in retirement. Shula must not have warm feelings toward Belichick. Or Beli-cheat.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

Since the 2007 Spygate controversy, Patriots coach Bill Belichick has been referred to as “Beli-cheat” a number of times, but usually by fans of rival teams. Not by Hall of Fame coaches.

But that’s the name Don Shula, the winningest coach in NFL history, uses to refer to Belichick.

Dave Hyde of the Sun-Sentinel writes in a profile of Shula at the age of 85 that when the subject of Belichick came up, that unflattering nickname was Shula’s response.

Shula’s 1972 Dolphins have the only perfect season in NFL history. Belichick’s 2007 Patriots, who went 16-0 in the regular season but lost in the Super Bowl, were the team that came the closest to joining the ’72 Dolphins with a perfect season. And Shula apparently thinks that Belichick, whose team got caught that year taping opposing coaching signals, achieved his success using something less than sportsmanlike means.

It’s not something we would have expected to hear from Shula, who rarely speaks out or makes waves in retirement. Shula must not have warm feelings toward Belichick. Or Beli-cheat.

He's still the Devil.

Belichick's just the Antichrist.

Lighten up, Francis! No really, his name is Francis!

I never hated Shula. I hated the Bills losing to the Dolphins all those years, but I always thought Shula was a classy person and a great coach. My biggest gripe against Jimmy Johnson is that he got two teams, the Cowboys and Dolphins, to boot out great coaches, Landry and Shula, to make room for him. And he did no better than the guys he replaced.

Edited by Utah John

GO Don!!!

there is a discussion started about (my pure fictional speculation of) Belicheats ignorance of his players - accused murderers and drug dealers

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175156-why-so-negative-after-winning-season/?p=3414395

I never hated Shula. I hated the Bills losing to the Dolphins all those years, but I always thought Shula was a classy person and a great coach. My biggest gripe against Jimmy Johnson is that he got two teams, the Cowboys and Dolphins, to boot out great coaches, Landry and Shula, to make room for him. And he did no better than the guys he replaced.

Yeah, but the Bills made up for that in the later SB years.

GO Don!!!

there is a discussion started about (my pure fictional speculation of) Belicheats ignorance of his players - accused murderers and drug dealers

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/175156-why-so-negative-after-winning-season/?p=3414395

Yeah, but the Bills made up for that in the later SB years.

Wait, you don't like Belicheck either?

i can steal signs all i want by having all the assistants i need to lip read, watch with binoculars, keep a written journal of info, add a player recently released from opponents team who will rat out his previous team, look at hundreds of still photos of in game action from plays that occurred just minutes ago.

i just can't video it.

got it.

Edited by papazoid

i can steal signs all i want by having all the assistants i need to lip read, watch with binoculars, keep a written journal of info, add a player recently released from opponents team who will rat out his previous team, look at hundreds of still photos of in game action from plays that occurred just minutes ago.

i just can't video it.

got it.

Rule is a rule, like it or not. Just like in '99, as stupid as the rule was, NHL rules stated that your foot was not allowed in the crease.

I consider Don Shula to be one of the biggest a-holes in NFL history and his level of a-holeness continues to rise every year the last undefeated team gets beat.

He's a dick.

And Bill B. is about 1000x the coach he ever dreamed of being.

Repect?

Apparently you missed the first pect. This is him just pecting all over again.

Takes one to know one. Youngsters don't remember that Shula had the refs in his back pocket for well over a decade. Always ran the "competition committee". He could make a ref disappear if he didn't give the Dolphins all the calls. More than once the Bills got jobbed by the refs during Miami's 20 game win streak in the 70's. Screw both of them.

Shula is a whiney little biatch. He's only doing it because that undefeated record. Holy lord the 72 dolphins are the most annoying thing ever

Wouldnt it have been nice in a way if the Pats went totally undefeated and wont the SuperBowl to be 19-0?

The Dolphins would have to shut up, but now we'll never hear the end of it.

Oh who am I fooling? I was totally rooting for the Giants against the Pats.

Wow, can't believe all the hate for a great HC. But then 328-156-6, and 6 super bowl appearances says why. I got nothing but respect and admiration for the man.

The man built a super strong power run game with a dominate defense to win super bowls, and when he drafted Dan Marino he adapted his team around one of the best passers in NFL history. Then went to the SB 2x with Marino

Like Bum Phillips said, he could take his and beat yourn, and he could take yourn, and beat his.

I'm just glad the Bills found a HC in Marv Levy who had his number. Now the Bills need to find a man who has Belicheats number.

This is one of the most successful HC's of all-time sending a gigantic F/U to the one that many (with short memories) call the GOAT!! Basically saying that he doesn't respect him. 85 and not giving a sh-t about that B/S NFL media etiquette unwritten rule they all follow.

Love it.

But this is less about beli and more about Shulas ego, sour grapes about the undefeated season and protecting his own legacy.

Don't belive for a second there is any altruistism protecting the sanctity of the game or any such sentiment here.

you are incredibly misinformed. Please provide evidence of shula conspiring to get rid of either coach. They were both simply at the end of their respective lines. And how could you do any better as a coach than Johnson did for Dallas? If you're saying that he didn't rack up the victories it would take 30 years to rack up as did Landry then I suppose you win. But Johnson's tenure as Dallas's coach was nothing short of remarkable. What exactly is your personal gripe with him all about?

Wow, can't believe all the hate for a great HC. But then 328-156-6, and 6 super bowl appearances says why. I got nothing but respect and admiration for the man.

The man built a super strong power run game with a dominate defense to win super bowls, and when he drafted Dan Marino he adapted his team around one of the best passers in NFL history. Then went to the SB 2x with Marino

Like Bum Phillips said, he could take his and beat yourn, and he could take yourn, and beat his.

I'm just glad the Bills found a HC in Marv Levy who had his number. Now the Bills need to find a man who has Belicheats number.

One Super Bowl with Marino.