Tim Graham's interview on Buffalo Rumblings

the account was just created jan 3rd and it was more than a little fishy. Especially the references to the defense being "all Marrone's" and harping about how hypercritical the fans are for not appreciating him. Sounds way too much like what we keep hearing his agent spew through the likes of Schefter.

It is very fishy. It would be an all-time, HOF level troll job if it was from any other poster screwing around...

Edited by Reed83HOF

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my limited knowledge of the FO, it sounded to me like Graham was referring directly to Overdorf and/or Littman when he talked about "left over from the Ralph era" and still "loyal to those days" and trying to "self preserve."

I wonder if Brandon isn't also one the old guard beholden to RW and concerned that he may be on the outs.

I listened to the interview and didn't pick up on this - am I the only one?

@pecrawleynfl: From the @ByTimGraham interview on @BuffRumblings, Frank Reich appears to be most likely next Bills coach at this point.

They asked TIm who he thought had the best chance, he said Reich. He said something like (paraphrasing) "not a 50% chance but more like a 17% chance based on all the candidates, but still probably in the lead"

I interviewed people for a living for over 40 years. I also have extensive negotiations experience. I do not believe the interview process that the Pegula's are using is flawed. Actually it appears to be quite sophisticated. Kim's role is likely that of an active observer of the subject being interviewed. This role is not to ask questions but to evaluate the subjects responses to the questions both verbal and nonverbal As some of you know non verbal communication is a talent that is better developed in most women than it is in men.; Whaley's role is not to be minimized the coordination role is huge with this number of interviews and in this many locations Also I am sure that he prepared a list of football questions for each of the subjects. Some of you noted that Pegula is an engineer by training. Engineers are very detail oriented and I doubt that the proceedure is haphazard. This guy did not make billions of dollars by accident. This process constrasts sharply with the one used by the prior regime when Marone was hired.Frankly I thought at the time that the selection proceedure reflected a lack of energy by the organization. Ralph was not about to interview 15 candidates and I suspect that Nix just wanted to finish his duties and get on to the semi retirement phase of his career.

Edited by Trader

You're missing the point, Brandon went on emphatically two years ago that the Bills would do an exhaustive coaching search by which they would leave no stone unturned, but only interviewed about three candidates. From what Graham is saying, once Brandon and Nix interviewed Marrone, they basically stopped searching for other candidates, so in essence Brandon contradicted himself when he made that statement. The coaching search that the Pegula's are doing now is an exhaustive coaching search where they are leaving no stone unturned, which is what Brandon and Nix should have done two years ago. Tim Graham stated in his interview that Marrone's agent did a great job of marketing Marrone as well as hyping him up like he was this hot commodity that many NFL teams coveted, but in essence, Marrone was a .500 coach (meaning average) and there wasn't a market of teams vying for Marrone's services. IMO, that's duping a team.

For your other points, I agree with you about the "opt out" clause as there were a lot of uncertainties with taking the job. To me, it's not that big of a deal. The big deal to me was Brandon ranting and raving about how the Bills image has been tarnished, and he was going to leave no stone unturned, but only interviewed a few people for the job.

Politicians say stuff all the time. Brandon was being a politician and a salesman.

But keep in mind how the last Bills coaching search went...interview after interview, every candidate saying no, some candidates refusing to even be interviewed. All that led up tho the Bills being being the last team to hire with no hot prospects available. That's how we ended up with Chan Gailey.

I'm willing to bet Brandon was determined not to let that happen again. After Chip Kelly blew off the Bills, Brandon Got a little antsy. So he went for, at the time, the second hot college coaching name, Doug Marrone, and got the deal done in a hurry so the Bills came out looking like they got their guy, not picking scraps like with Chan.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Politicians say stuff all the time. Brandon was being a politician and a salesman.

But keep in mind how the last Bills coaching search went...interview after interview, every candidate saying no, some candidates refusing to even be interviewed. All that led up tho the Bills being being the last team to hire with no hot prospects available. That's how we ended up with Chan Gailey.

I'm willing to bet Brandon was determined not to let that happen again. After Chip Kelly blew off the Bills, Brandon Got a little antsy. So he went for, at the time, the second hot college coaching name, Doug Marrone, and got the deal done in a hurry so the Bills came out looking like they got their guy, not picking scraps like with Chan.

It seemed like Brandon wanted to try something the Bills haven't done before with hiring a coach from the college ranks, instead of doing a thorough search of all the candidates at the time. IMO, Lovie Smith was the best candidate at that time as he had a winning record in Chicago and took his team to the Super Bowl. The hindsight pick is Bruce Arians as he had two winning records in his first two seasons in Arizona, plus a playoff berth.

Just listened to the TG interview and my first impression is that he's (a) full of himself, and (b) he's full of shiit.

So much of what he has to say about Marrone's hiring is just wrong:

1) He said Marrone was the second or third guy they interviewed. In fact they interviewed Whisenhunt, Horton, Lovie Smith and Chip Kelly before Marrone. They also interviewed Mike McCoy. So six guys total, about average for a HC search.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/1/5/3838310/chip-kelly-lovie-smith-doug-marrone-interviews-buffalo-bills/in/3585883

2) He said he doubted the Browns were high on Marrone, and that it was just Sexton blowing smoke. The Browns interviewed Marrone twice according to the Plain Dealer and he was on a "short list" of guys they were zeroing in on:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/12/for_cleveland_browns_finding_a.html

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/doug_marrone_hired_by_buffalo.html

I could probably blow some more of his pronouncements out of the water with Googling, but my time's too valuable to waste on a light weight poser like him...

Edited by Lurker

It seemed like Brandon wanted to try something the Bills haven't done before with hiring a coach from the college ranks, instead of doing a thorough search of all the candidates at the time. IMO, Lovie Smith was the best candidate at that time as he had a winning record in Chicago and took his team to the Super Bowl. The hindsight pick is Bruce Arians as he had two winning records in his first two seasons in Arizona, plus a playoff berth.

That was part of it I'm sure, but not being the last team hiring a coach was probably a big motivator too.

This is actually not true at all.

The latest reports disagree. Jimmy Sexton can't use all of the media to do his bidding. What we know of Marrone in Buffalo? He quit on his players. He tried a power play and it didn't work. May he enjoy his 4 million dollar parachute to Karma. The Bills can do better at the HC position.

doug whaley was in the pittsburgh front office 10 years, and assistant GM here for several (and through coaching searches) and now been the GM for 2 years --- i dont know how much longer the inexperience tag lasts on the guy.

Pittsburgh had 1 HC hired during his tenure there, and I'm sure Kevin Colbert didn't need someone from Pro Personnel assisting much. And here in Buffalo, it's been made clear that Brandon and Nix made the Marrone hire.

No one's saying he hasn't worked in a NFL front office or that he hasn't handled pro personnel or amateur scouting. Just that he's not hired a HC before. It is obvious that, unlike when Brandon led the search in 2013, Whaley has lined up several qualified candidates for interviews.