Tim Graham's interview on Buffalo Rumblings

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham's initial description matched what he ultimately tweeted about it and the OP wrote, which makes it sound like Whaley is setting up and scheduling the interviews, and maybe gets to sit in on them but not actively participate. Graham later expounded a bit when the topic came up in a different question, and basically said that Whaley was probably asking a lot of specific football questions in the interviews. He also speculated that Pegula probably won't interview anyone that Whaley hasn't pre-approved as qualified for the job. Most of that was speculation on his part, because his source obviously just told him the basics prior to any interview actually being conducted - Terry Pegula is conducting the interviews and will make the hire, with the new HC reporting directly to him, Whaley is "coordinating the search", Kim Pegula is "sitting in" on the interviews mostly to learn, and Brandon has some kind of nebulous "advisor" role, which does seem to involve him sitting in on interviews. Again, whatever Graham's source told him pretty clearly came before the interviews actually started, so he was mostly guessing on how it is actually playing out.

Man, how great is it to be Kim freaking Pegula? By virtue of really nothing other than good fortune in choosing a marital partner she gets to sit in on all of these meetings and interviews "mostly to learn" and soak in everything. Who among us wouldn't beg, borrow, and steal for that opportunity?

Man, how great is it to be Kim freaking Pegula? By virtue of really nothing other than good fortune in choosing a marital partner she gets to sit in on all of these meetings and interviews "mostly to learn" and soak in everything. Who among us wouldn't beg, borrow, and steal for that opportunity?

Is this the part where we remind you the other things she's done for the privilege of being in those meetings? Is it also the part where we--mostly heterosexual males--begin calculating the extent to which our fandom might compel us to do likewise?

Is this the part where we remind you the other things she's done for the privilege of being in those meetings? Is it also the part where we--mostly heterosexual males--begin calculating the extent to which our fandom might compel us to do likewise?

Yeah, I'm ignoring that part.

Graham did mention that Marrone's agent did a great job of hyping Marrone up (by stating the Browns were very interested in him) when the Bills were interviewing him which is why Nix/Brandon were sold on him, even though he was about the second or third coach they interviewed at that time. So, that exhaustive/leave no stone unturned search that Brandon talked about two years ago was a bunch of garbage as they were infatuated with Marrone after his interview, as well as being duped by Marrone's agent. I think what the Pegula's are doing is very smart as they are new to the game and they want to make sure they are making the right move for the franchise.

So what that they got infatuated with Marrone after his interview, isn't that how you should feel about whom you're going to hire? They didn't get duped by his agent. The team had a 90 something year old owner and it was a legitimate concern. What if the Toronto group bought the Bills don't you think Marrone would have the right to not want to be a part of that? To me it was a major concern that anyone would understand. The thought was that an owner with declining health could potentially pass away during your coaching tenure and the Bills recognized the legitimacy of the concern and gave him a 3 day opt out.

Understand that was the only reason for the opt out. They would never allow a similar opt out now that structure has been restored in terms of ownership and the team staying. Now any new coach knows what they get when signing a contract, Marrone didn't.

By virtue of really nothing other than good fortune in choosing a marital partner

Nah

You know what I'm saying; this is not a Bucky Gleason editorial about how women have no place in sports. Ease up.

But from what I've heard over the past few days it seems to be the Doug and Terry show during these interviews, with Russ getting coffee and Overdorf nowhere to be seen.

I'm wondering if Overdorf was the one who was outed as having bad mouthed Polian, and Pegula is now taking steps to jettison him. I seem to recall early on that JO was going to be involved in the interview process, now he's not.

I'm wondering if Overdorf was the one who was outed as having bad mouthed Polian, and Pegula is now taking steps to jettison him. I seem to recall early on that JO was going to be involved in the interview process, now he's not.

Based on my limited knowledge of the FO, it sounded to me like Graham was referring directly to Overdorf and/or Littman when he talked about "left over from the Ralph era" and still "loyal to those days" and trying to "self preserve."

Someone with a grand total of less than 1 year in football picking a head coach for a NFL team. Yes it's a nightmare. If it were any other team you would be making fun of the team and it's owner. If Whaley is picking the HC and Pegula is along for the ride to learn and be involved, then no worries. But that's not how TGs statement sounds. And I still hope the statement is rubbish, or at best only partially true (which it almost has to be, assuming Pegula is not Jerrah #2).

I have a hunch that Tim is simply assuming that because TP is the owner, that his word is final. Which it is. TP I am sure is smart enough to use what ever resources at his disposal, including using the experience of those he surrounds himself with to make a decision. What we do know is that the HC will report directly to TP. That doesn't necessarily mean he and he alone will make the HC choice, just that his word will be final as it should be. I mean he is the owner.

Based on my limited knowledge of the FO, it sounded to me like Graham was referring directly to Overdorf and/or Littman when he talked about "left over from the Ralph era" and still "loyal to those days" and trying to "self preserve."

Right. And with Littman moving to Ralph's Foundation, he'd have no need to self preserve.

I have a hunch that Tim is simply assuming that because TP is the owner, that his word is final. Which it is. TP I am sure is smart enough to use what ever resources at his disposal, including using the experience of those he surrounds himself with to make a decision. What we do know is that the HC will report directly to TP. That doesn't necessarily mean he and he alone will make the HC choice, just that his word will be final as it should be. I mean he is the owner.

Well stated. Folks need to take a breath.

The Syracuse stuff is tiring. Unless you were here, like me, you couldn't know the remarkable changes he made I 4 years in a program that had become the worst in Div. 1. If he stayed the W-L record would be better. Missed the point entirely

I can't believe our friend Mojo automatically assumed that if Marrone had stayed, the W-L would have been better considering they were going from the Big East to the ACC. Indeed, there's every reason to believe he would have gotten his ass handed to him in the short term, anyway. This was something a Syracuse writer put forth recently, Marrone NEW he was gonna have a losing record in the ACC and he would have been a sub .500 coach as a result and that's why he left.

GO BILLS!!!

i think many would argue that having the owner have final say on moves like this instead of your football staff, might not be the way its supposed to be. id personally rather whaley make the call than TP, but i think its reasonable to hope/assume TP would give a lot of weight to doug (unless he has some other advisor strongly in his ear)

I can't believe our friend Mojo automatically assumed that if Marrone had stayed, the W-L would have been better considering they were going from the Big East to the ACC. Indeed, there's every reason to believe he would have gotten his ass handed to him in the short term, anyway. This was something a Syracuse writer put forth recently, Marrone NEW he was gonna have a losing record in the ACC and he would have been a sub .500 coach as a result and that's why he left.

GO BILLS!!!

wouldnt be far outside of thinking he couldnt take the next step here so bailing out was good.

Whaley is still a relatively inexperienced GM. I think if he was a long time GM then Pegula may be less involved at the outset. Both Pegula and Russ have more experience heading up professional teams. Since no one is sitting in the interviews outside of them, we will not know who was the prominent figure from the Bills standpoint. But unless they are planning on getting rid of Whaley then assume he is front and center because that HC-GM relationship will be extremely critical, especially after the events of the last week.

It is a good 37 minute interview. At about the 20 minute mark he talks about the coaching search. The first 20 are about what happened regarding Moron and Polian. He fills quite a few holes regarding what has transpired. He thinks Reich is a favorite but not a clear favorite. Whaley is vetting the candidates before they are interviewed. If they don't meet his qualifications then there is no interview. T Pegs will pick the coach. K Pegs is there mainly to absorb as much as possible. Graham claims to have sources within the Bills org. that provided this info. Graham opined that the Bills are doing an exhaustive search this go around unlike the last time. Brandon and Whaley were enamored with Moron early on and basically stopped the interview process. My takeaway, if you believe the reporting, is the Bills unlike previous hires will truly interview as many candidates as possible and this will be an exhaustive search with no clear timeline and no hurry to hire a coach. It wouldn't surprise me if it went past the Super Bowl.

Whaley is still a relatively inexperienced GM. I think if he was a long time GM then Pegula may be less involved at the outset. Both Pegula and Russ have more experience heading up professional teams. Since no one is sitting in the interviews outside of them, we will not know who was the prominent figure from the Bills standpoint. But unless they are planning on getting rid of Whaley then assume he is front and center because that HC-GM relationship will be extremely critical, especially after the events of the last week.

doug whaley was in the pittsburgh front office 10 years, and assistant GM here for several (and through coaching searches) and now been the GM for 2 years --- i dont know how much longer the inexperience tag lasts on the guy.

i think many would argue that having the owner have final say on moves like this instead of your football staff, might not be the way its supposed to be. id personally rather whaley make the call than TP, but i think its reasonable to hope/assume TP would give a lot of weight to doug (unless he has some other advisor strongly in his ear)

wouldnt be far outside of thinking he couldnt take the next step here so bailing out was good.

I honestly think TP is doing everything in his power to ensure that Buffalo gets the best HC available, including listening to as many people with experience as possible. It is his franchise, so I am not really going to split hairs over who should have final say. He owns the team and it really is as simple as that, however from previous interviews with the Pegulas, it does seem that they know they are not experts in all matters pertaining to football. They really have no choice but to lean on the advise of those who know football. And I am not upset that the HC will report directly to TP. That to me is TP taking ownership of his decision. That is what good leaders do. He is saying that he is responsible and I like that about him. Whether I am going to feel the same way next year remains to be seen. I guess that depends on if he made the right decision.

doug whaley was in the pittsburgh front office 10 years, and assistant GM here for several (and through coaching searches) and now been the GM for 2 years --- i dont know how much longer the inexperience tag lasts on the guy.

Yeah I think some may be selling him short due to speculation about his role.