Tim Graham's interview on Buffalo Rumblings

Seriously I bet you anything he got on Twitter and read his mentions like a effing dope.

I remember when he had his weekly Friday segment on wgr one time, he said that he felt he needed to win because his wife hated going to the grocery store when he lost; like everyone was looking at her differently . I thought he was kidding. Wth knows who she is anyway?

What a herb. Worried about the Wegmans cashiers?

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm,so what does Brandon actually advise? What toppings for road pizzas?

I mean, that's kind of an important element of a successful coaching search. I bet he could talk Terry into any combination of toppings even when Terry just wanted pepperoni.

Still not a fan of TP selecting the coach and although he gets kudos for buying the team and keeping it here, I'm not going to let that cloud my concern over his role with the football operations. It's his toy, he can do what he wants. But you can bet the flame job coming from the local media if he picks the coach and the guy bombs! I think anyone can pick someone to coach based on his performance in an interview but as we've seen, even GMs get fooled by great interviews (see: Williams, Gregg). I'd like to believe that TP is taking some advice from someone with football sense.

If you have 37 minutes, I recommend listening to this interview with Tim Graham of the Buffalo News.

According to Graham, the Pegula's were P.O.'d at Marrone the he wanted a contract extension for him and his staff, and did not offer him a contract extension; Marrone was not a nice person, he read everything on the internet and would chew reporters out for things that they posted; Terry Pegula will pick the next HC, Whaley is doing the coordination on the search, Brandon is sitting in just as an advisor, Overdorff is not involved in the HC search.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/videos/2015/1/7/7499869/video-buffalo-bills-head-coach-search-tim-graham

is this just speculation from TG or did he actually have a source?

CBF

Dear god I hope he is just making it up. Pegula picking a HC is a disaster waiting to happen.

Dear god I hope he is just making it up. Pegula picking a HC is a disaster waiting to happen.

Yes, interviewing fifteen people along with your GM and then making an informed decision sounds like a nightmare.

Yes, interviewing fifteen people along with your GM and then making an informed decision sounds like a nightmare.

Someone with a grand total of less than 1 year in football picking a head coach for a NFL team. Yes it's a nightmare. If it were any other team you would be making fun of the team and it's owner. If Whaley is picking the HC and Pegula is along for the ride to learn and be involved, then no worries. But that's not how TGs statement sounds. And I still hope the statement is rubbish, or at best only partially true (which it almost has to be, assuming Pegula is not Jerrah #2).

Edited by CodeMonkey

Whoever it was, the person used a couple of very unique "Marroneisms" that I've never seen printed anywhere, which leads me to believe that it was either him or someone very close to him.

I have a friend who was around him at SU (not a player but he was with St. Doug and the team every day) who actually told me when Marrone was hired here that the players would be hearing about "bad trees in the forest" which was one of his favorite sayings, and something Mojo44 said as well.

It's just unusual enough that it can't be a coincidence.

... or the fact that he used the first person ("me" and an "I" he forgot to delete when he edited his post) to refer to Marrone in his initial post...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/174979-scathing-article-in-ny-daily-news-on-marrone/page-13?do=findComment&comment=3407241

The Syracuse stuff is tiring. Unless you were here, like me, you couldn't know the remarkable changes he made I 4 years in a program that had become the worst in Div. 1. If he stayed the W-L record would be better. Missed the point entirely

Graham did mention that Marrone's agent did a great job of hyping Marrone up (by stating the Browns were very interested in him) when the Bills were interviewing him which is why Nix/Brandon were sold on him, even though he was about the second or third coach they interviewed at that time. So, that exhaustive/leave no stone unturned search that Brandon talked about two years ago was a bunch of garbage as they were infatuated with Marrone after his interview, as well as being duped by Marrone's agent. I think what the Pegula's are doing is very smart as they are new to the game and they want to make sure they are making the right move for the franchise.

According to Graham's interview, Marrone would read posts on twitter from reporters and would chew out the reporters for anything he deemed as negative.

The ultimate irony: Tim Graham talking about anyone else in terms of thin skin and nasty responses to narcissistic injuries...

I didn't have 37 minutes, so I basically skipped to the end. Did Graham really predict that no good candidate would want to take the job and that Schwartz would get it by default (and the fact that he has an existing contract) and essentially be a one-year stop gap? If so, that was about all I needed to hear to figure out how much stock to put into the entire interview.

Someone with a grand total of less than 1 year in football picking a head coach for a NFL team. Yes it's a nightmare. If it were any other team you would be making fun of the team and it's owner. If Whaley is picking the HC and Pegula is along for the ride to learn and be involved, then no worries. But that's not how TGs statement sounds. And I still hope the statement is rubbish, or at best only partially true (which it almost has to be, assuming Pegula is not Jerrah #2).

Come on, man, do you really think Pegula is going to make a decision to hire a guy that Whaley isn't behind 100%? As others have said, Pegula is an engineer. Engineers are wired to gather all of the information and analyze. Yes, he has the final call. But from what I've heard over the past few days it seems to be the Doug and Terry show during these interviews, with Russ getting coffee and Overdorf nowhere to be seen.

is this just speculation from TG or did he actually have a source?

CBF

There was a lot of content in 37 minutes. Some of what the OP listed was speculation and some was sourced. It was usually pretty clear which was which during the interview.

No disrespect to the great Timmah, but it seems Whaley is doing more than "coordinating the search" if he's grilling candidates about their plans to develop Manuel.

Graham's initial description matched what he ultimately tweeted about it and the OP wrote, which makes it sound like Whaley is setting up and scheduling the interviews, and maybe gets to sit in on them but not actively participate. Graham later expounded a bit when the topic came up in a different question, and basically said that Whaley was probably asking a lot of specific football questions in the interviews. He also speculated that Pegula probably won't interview anyone that Whaley hasn't pre-approved as qualified for the job. Most of that was speculation on his part, because his source obviously just told him the basics prior to any interview actually being conducted - Terry Pegula is conducting the interviews and will make the hire, with the new HC reporting directly to him, Whaley is "coordinating the search", Kim Pegula is "sitting in" on the interviews mostly to learn, and Brandon has some kind of nebulous "advisor" role, which does seem to involve him sitting in on interviews. Again, whatever Graham's source told him pretty clearly came before the interviews actually started, so he was mostly guessing on how it is actually playing out.

I didn't have 37 minutes, so I basically skipped to the end. Did Graham really predict that no good candidate would want to take the job and that Schwartz would get it by default (and the fact that he has an existing contract) and essentially be a one-year stop gap? If so, that was about all I needed to hear to figure out how much stock to put into the entire interview.

The answer to your question is no. They talked about a lot of things, and Graham threw out a few possible scenarios, including the one you listened to. Overall, it was a pretty good listen. Nothing really that new or earth-shattering if you follow Graham on twitter or read this board, but it was nice to hear him go a little more in depth on the stuff that's been going on. Good example being the Whaley coordination stuff above. His tweet and subsequent article about it made it sound like Whaley was pretty much on the outs, and only still involved at all because Polian spurned Pegula. From listening to Graham expound on the matter, I now think it sounds more like Whaley is deeply involved and will have a lot of input (but not final say) on who the next HC is. Of course, if he and that HC don't work well together, one or both of them will go, and Pegula is definitely set up to kick Whaley to the curb while keeping the new HC, but overall I'm a little more optimistic. I didn't want the HC hire being made with a true lame-duck GM, because what new GM wants to come in to a situation where the HC is already in place? Instead, I think Whaley is very much on notice (as is almost everyone in the NFL), but the default position is that he keeps his job for at least 1 more year.

Very sad and also alarming if he true.

First of all, doesnt he have more important things to do besides reading message boards?

Secondly, any coach in any sport knows that no good will come from reading peoples opinions on the internet

This tells me that he must have really been insecure and also maybe in over his head

CBF

To me, it's a sign of the ultimate in intelligence, self of steam and manliness that the coach chose to be a member of this message board - characteristics I happen to share.

Whoever it was, the person used a couple of very unique "Marroneisms" that I've never seen printed anywhere, which leads me to believe that it was either him or someone very close to him.

I have a friend who was around him at SU (not a player but he was with St. Doug and the team every day) who actually told me when Marrone was hired here that the players would be hearing about "bad trees in the forest" which was one of his favorite sayings, and something Mojo44 said as well.

It's just unusual enough that it can't be a coincidence.

Maybe it's just me, but Mojo's discussion/arguing style totally reminds me of Bronx/east coast attitude (we all know..., it's inarguable..., etc). That whole I think this way, I know others that do, so it is the truth. The worst was getting stuck next to a Bronx guy on a plane who proceeded to profusely tell me how Cleveland's a crappy town even though he'd only ever passed through the airport a couple times. Gave me that polite, derisory look when I tried to discuss what I enjoy about living in Cleveland. Thank God it's a short flight to Chicago.

Edited by GaryPinC