Whaley will head coaching search

YoloinOhio

But I thought I read that Marrone had the same deal (reporting directly to the owner). Seems weird, but maybe this is more common than we know in the NFL?

Reporting directly to Ralph Wilson? I never heard that.

B6YF8iPCYAEtzMo.jpg

Nice! Where'd you get that?

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the right move. I never understood the football czar thing. Too many cooks. Your GM should be in charge of all football operations. If he fails, hire a consultant to find a new one, but once you find one they should be given a large amount of autonomy, with the understanding that if it fails it's on them.

The days of the autonomous GM are closing. A lot more common to have a CEO type in the role of head of an organization with a GM running the personnel department.

Pete Carroll is Vice President of Seahawks. Belichek is basically VP of football ops in NE.

This whole thing is really screwed up. I am fine with Marrone leaving, but the front office stuff needs to be straightened out pronto. Either the Bills are committed to Whaley or they are not. Having Whaley leading the search for a head coach seems to suggest that he is staying on with the Bills as GM, but if this is a lukewarm commitment at best and he could be replaced after the 2015 season, I would much prefer that this decision be made now. The worst possible scenario would be for the Bills to hire a new GM after the 2015 season who would want to pick his own coach.

I think moving forward with Whaley as GM is the obvious coice; let him pick the next coach. Whaley has done a lot of good things. If it works out you keep everyone. If it doesn't work out after a few years you either get a new coach or clean house. Things have improved greatly in the last few years, continuity is a good thing. If we want more losing seasons then constantly change the coach, coordinators, and GM like we have done for the last decade.

In the last decade the Bills have had

5 GMs

5 Head coaches (soon to be 6)

6 Offensive Coordinators (soon to be 7)

6 Defensive Coordinators

Is Whaley responsible for the regression of the offense this year even with an average veteran that he did bring in? They originally brought Kolb in as the vet to mentor EJ, but we know how that ended. What other options were there? How many other teams are struggling to find a QB to lead them? The EJ experiment isn't done yet either.

Regarding the Oline, I blame Marrone, and i think we'll see that next year when they bring in a good OC and Oline coach. I think you've given up on CK too early. He was a raw talent, not ready for prime time. Let's see what he can do this year. In fact, I'm thinking we might see an Oline made up of Henderson, Glenn, Woods, Urbik, and CK next year, with 3 veterans manning the interior. Glenn might just be the all-pro guard we've been waiting for. All speculation at this point.

Whaley and his staff are doing excellent imho.

Marrone wanted changes to the players on the O line in the off season, and was told no by the FO. That Kraig Urbik was a quality OG. :sick: That line graded as the worst line in the league at various points in the season. Probably a big reason as to why Whaley, and Marrone didn't get along very well.

Colin Brown, and backup Sam Young, cut outright after six week in 2013, and then free agents Doug Legursky, Chris Williams brought in under Whaley have been the very worst players at their positions for their past teams. The #2 draft pick at OT stinks while the #7 at OT draft pick starts. A failed #1 pick at QB the team has nearly given up on, and now the team needs a starting QB.

While Whaley did do an excellent job on the defensive side. He fell on his face hard for the offensive side for two years now. This isn't even debatable IMO. The Bills need to seriously change their offensive scouts

EDIT: Man I'm hoping Urbik, Pears, and Williams are all history for 2015.

Edited by FeartheLosing

The Bills have found a way to meet with Frank Reich in Sunday before he interviews with Jets. Had been trying to align it. It will happen

and, more good news!

Bills owner Terry Pegula, who thought he had Polian, still would like a football czar to oversee the building. Strange 48hrs in the NFL

Marrone wanted changes to the players on the O line in the off season, and was told no by the FO. That Kraig Urbik was a quality OG. :sick: That line graded as the worst line in the league at various points in the season. Probably a big reason as to why Whaley, and Marrone didn't get along very well.

Colin Brown, and backup Sam Young, cut outright after six week in 2013, and then free agents Doug Legursky, Chris Williams brought in under Whaley have been the very worst players at their positions for their past teams. The #2 draft pick at OT stinks while the #7 at OT draft pick starts. A failed #1 pick at QB the team has nearly given up on, and now the team needs a starting QB.

While Whaley did do an excellent job on the defensive side. He fell on his face hard for the offensive side for two years now. This isn't even debatable IMO. The Bills need to seriously change their offensive scouts

EDIT: Man I'm hoping Urbik, Pears, and Williams are all history for 2015.

Rashomon...

Marrone thought he could mold Colin Brown, that he was good enough to start for the team, and when he stunk the joint up, Whaley had to find the best he could after the season started. I'll give you Williams. Urbik on a line that has talent around him is decent, but they could upgrade, obviously...

Again, with Kuoandjio they got exactly how he was described, "raw tools and high ceiling are far more appealing...at this point in his development." Marrone had good things to say about him in the season-ending PC, so I;m leery. He could turn into a good RT needed for their power running game. It's premature to judge Ck and Whaley for the pick this point.

Again, you blame Whaley, and I think it's Marrone. In the second half you essentially had 4 of the same players from the previous year, yet they were worse. Lastly, Marrone has stated that the plan was to build the D first, and he also wanted to help his friend on STs. Again, I think we'll get an answer to which view is correct as we see what kind of line play we get this year from most likely 4/5 of the same starters (Pears is definitely gone).

Whaley has not shown anything in regards to his ability to be the ultimate decision maker at the top of a football department. In fact, the three biggest moves the Bills have made with him in charge don't look like great decisions (Doug Marrone, EJ Manuel and the overall QB situation, and the Watkins trade). Now maybe his role in these decisions was minimal, in which case you can make the argument that he simply does not have enough experience to run an NFL team.

There is a big difference between running the personnel department and running the whole show.

So far, I think you can only blame/credit him on the Watkins trade.

I wasn't arguing that he should be president, I want to make sure we don't do anything that would jeopardize the staff he's put into place. He's not perfect, but I think his positives moves on his brief resume so far significantly outweigh the negatives.

:angry: Tim Graham ‏@ByTimGraham 8m8 minutes ago

More info on Bills interviews: Terry Pegula will conduct them w/Whaley & Brandon. No Overdorf. Next Bills coach reports directly to Pegula.

So can we stop whining now?

This is really screwed up if true.

Edited by LabattBlue

From the BN... mayor red flag in my mind if true.

A highly placed Bills source told The Buffalo News the next head coach will report directly to Terry Pegula.

Oops... didn't read entire thread. sorry! Still a major problem.

Edited by zonabb

What do they mean by next?

I don't think Marrone ever directly reported to ownership. He may have wanted that and may have actually acted that way, but he was supposed to report to Brandon. There was clearly something disfunctionl going on with the Brandon/Whaley/ Marrone relationship. It sounds like Terry is going to take control until he can get it resolved